NGD: Burny Randy Rhoads - LC-70RR, which actually is RLC-60

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by JanHammer666, Nov 30, 2017.

1. JanHammer666

JanHammer666 Junior Member

Hello!

I bought my first LP-style guitar last week. The condition is very good imo, only minimal cosmetic damage (i've seen burnys in very bad shape): one dent in neck, but it's on the high e-string side so you can barely notice it while playing. Everything else is stock but the RR-pickguard has been changed for a basic black for some reason. I am going to buy the golden pickup selector ring for it but i'm going to stick with the black pickuard without the RR engraving.

ps. Does anybody have an idea how to date this? Maybe with the help of the VH-1 pickups that has a grey wire, does it help?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    Robert Arthur likes this.
  2. villager

villager Senior Member

why do you think its an RR with no PG or metal toggle ring?

3. JanHammer666

4. villager

villager Senior Member

the RR came with a metal toggle ring believe me i have owned 5 or 6 of them...

5. JanHammer666

Hmm interesting. Is there a way to identify this as an rr or lc? Other than golden knobs, pickup selector ring and engraved pickguard? The previous owner had dated this guitar in to 85 or something and other post on this forum says that first white custom was in 89.

(edit) This has also a full metallic/golden pickup switcher even though it has a black switcher ring. Other customs does not have full golden switcher even though they might have all the other hardware in gold.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  6. bertrand4070

bertrand4070 Senior Member

7. JanHammer666

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  8. brokentoeswalker

brokentoeswalker Senior Member

Got any pictures of the pup cavities ?

9. JanHammer666

F16724B4-8F90-4676-B478-6E6BFFD07AF2.jpeg

No text etc here

brokentoeswalker likes this.
  10. JanHammer666

Where did you find other white/gold custom lp that is not a RR

11. villager

villager Senior Member

thats strange in the catalogue too!! heres some i have had.. DSCF5249.JPG Resized DSCN1105.jpg DSCF6685.JPG Resized DSCF9490.jpg

JanHammer666 likes this.
  12. JanHammer666

I totally believe that you had the golden ring on yours. Is there amy chance that they were switched when the first owner realized that gibson and randy had golden rings. Or the seller wanted more authentic look. But yeah, it is definetely interesting that the catalog pictures does not seem to have that. Btw. Does the pickguard say ”RANDY RHOADS” and below that ”model” or what?

Btw. I tried to find a white custom (non-RR) from the 80’s catalogs but the only white/gold were rr-customs up until the 90’s i think. And my guitars green capacitators are identical to 85-87 -era. And the headstock also is identical to the ones from the 80’s, in the 90’s they had the lightning bolt headstock.

Does the pickup-photo ring any bells for anyone? Are they VH-3 or something else. They look pretty stock to me, at least.

Ps. I am not trying to prove anyone wrong or to say that i am right. I am just very interested about the fact that what guitar i am playing. And with this information that i have, it seems to be rr-custom that i play, but if somebody can find a white custom with golden hardware and metallic pickup selector from the 80’s (even though mine has black ring, the selector itself is full gold with golden tip too) there is an possibility that this is ”just” a normal burny custom. All the normal customs i found were goldtops, black or burst colored and the pickup selector tip was plastic!

13. villager

villager Senior Member

all had original brass switch ring all had engraved pickguard.. Randy Rhoads Model, all had metal switch tip..

14. Shredder69

Shredder69 Junior Member

Post a photo of 1) the back of the headstock and 2) the control route - preferably with closeups of the pots. This one has the wrong tuners for a Randy, and as it's large diamond it could be either Matsumoku build, in which case it will have a volute for a true 70's copy, or an early Dyna model which, like the pre-Matsukoku ones, is just a pimped RLC-60 '60.

I haven't looked at as many guitars as Jacco, but what strikes me with the Matsus are also that they seem to have OEM tuners and a slightly larger/wider bell with less outline so I'd say that this one looks from this pic to be a 1985-86 RLC-60 '60 in white.

Villager: brass ring was on and off from what I've seen, just like the Sykes engraved TRC. Engraved pickguard disappeared at the end of the 80's and seems to be a little on and off as well, as did (from the specs at least) the maple cap.

JanHammer666 likes this.
  15. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Senior Member

The tuners are always the giveaway for the Randy Rhoads models, they came with the M6 copies, engraved scratchplate etc. Someone's just switched the top hats for gold speed knobs and called it a Randy Rhoads model, hope you didn't pay extra for a RR.

Most solid colour RLC60's were all mahagony whereas some(all?) of the RR models had the maple cap according to the catalogues. You can check the year by looking at the codes on the pots as they're usually very reliable to date Burny's then check out the catalogue for exact specs on your RLC60. At the end of the day the RLC60's are decent guitars so I wouldn't worry too much about it not being a RR model.

Here's the beginnings of my Steve Jones model RLC60.

IMG_20171201_130816.jpg

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    JanHammer666 likes this.
  16. JanHammer666

Hello and thanks for the replies all!

The tuners are golden GOTOH. I'll check the codes on the pots later today. The previous owner told me that this has maple body with maple top, is there a way to know what wood this has?

• Edit 1: Tone pot says: M500kOhmA 82 K, so it's 1988 February and normal type pot, right? The green cap says: "223K100V"

• Edit 2: I did find one RLC-60 '60 in CH from the '88 catalog (had to look from the Color Variation -chart). I think CH meant white. At least RR LC is CH. But the rlc-60 does seem to have a different kind of pickup selector, it doesn't look all gold metal.

LC70RR Specs from the '88 catalog:
    • Pickups: VH3
    • Neck: Mahogany, set neck
    • Fingerboard: Rosewood, 22 frets, 250R, 24,75 scale
    • Body: Maple-top, mahogany-back
    RLC60 Specs from the '88 catalog:
    • Pickups: VH3
    • Neck: Mahogany, set neck
    • Fingerboard: Rosewood, 22 frets, 280R/250R (hard to read), 24,75 scale
    • Body: Maple or mahogany-top, mahogany-back

So yeah. It's pretty clear now that my guitar is RLC60. At least the owner said that this is all-maple body (is there a way to find out?). Anyways the specs are pretty same, but what do those 250R and 280R -specs mean?

17. JanHammer666

What kind of a pickup selector do you have? is the "hat" plastic or gold metal?

18. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Senior Member

I think mine's a 87 model, the pup selector is brass like the RR ones but sure it's been switched.

Here's what the M6 tuners look like on the Burny RR models, the pic below that is the basic 'tulip' tuners on the RLC models.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There were quite a few incarnations of the RR models and I think when they started on the revival series they probably skipped doing the brass rings. Like I said before the solid colours like white/black were all mahogany bodies whereas the tobacco bursts had the maple caps, the RR supposed to have maple caps.

The nody on yours should be all mahogany, you'll probably be able to see grain pores inside the cavities to confirm it or just scratch off some paint inside the cavity. Maple will have no visible pores. I used to have one of the later ligthning bolt RR models but sold it and kept the RLC60 which I thought sounded a lot better.

JanHammer666 likes this.
  19. JanHammer666

Yeah i sure can spot the difference and mine has definetely the non-randy tuners by gotoh. Do you happen to know if the new Schaller m6 tuners are easy to switch? For example these: https://www.thomann.de/fi/schaller_m6_135_locking_6l_gd_new.htm

Gotoh-tuners are good too and work well but i am used to locking ones because my USA Deluxe Strat has 'em. So i am going to swap them in some time. And what kind of a bridge and string stopper do fit into this burny?

I also have the brass/golden pickup selector. Don't know if it's changed or not, at least it looks very old.

20. JanHammer666

"maple caps" do you mean the maple top or what, sorry but I am not a native english speaker.