NGD: Brent Hinds Custom Flying V

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by your idol, Jan 8, 2017.

1. your idol

your idol Senior Member

So I got a Brent Hinds V from zzounds (pay as you play is AWESOME if youre broke or dont want to spend a ton of cash at once)

I have bad hands with carpal tunnel settling in hard so the first time I played this in Sam Ash I knew it was for me.

The good:
    - Fat 58 Neck is comfy and beefy!
    - Fit and finish on this is SUPERB. First time I played this I did a side by side comparison with a 16 Gibson V at almost twice the price and Gibson shoul kind of be embarassed.
    - Ive never been a fan of Lace pickups before so my intent before getting it was to change them...ive since changed my mind. Unreal clairity in dropped tunings. Neck pu us fat, bluesy and blustering like a big warm fuzzy bumblebee. Bridge is
    Expressive and very articulate and will cut through anything and stays that way through thick fuzz and fat gain of a Rockerverb.
    -pots are super responsive and the kill pot is quality. Proper stuff here.
    - hands down the most comfortable V ive played and for those saying $800
    For an Epi with no case I assure you the proof is in the pudding.

The bad:
    - light body, long fat neck, this is one neck divey bastard BUT its a V with a fat neck soooooo im only deducting half a point because I have to be realistic. Go ahead and order a suade strap when you purchase.
    - the import Grovers are trash. Lots of turn with nothing then BAM youre well past your intended mark. Invest in tuners.
    - as mentioned before this is an $800 with no case or gig bag. Its disappointing but the guitar isnt for the money so half point deduction.
    -Frets are gritty to start and dont jive well with the silky and slinky factort strings.Polish the frets with some steel wool and change your string to something good.
    -Factory setup is non existant. This is not an out of the box player. As many have describe the neck comes substantially bowed with high action. Pick your string gauge and do your setup and it holds true.

My first 48 hours:
    Got all the factory plastic crap off it. Replaced the strings. I went ernie ball Skinny top, Heavy bottom on a hunch that for playing in D and C it would keep the string bends usable and comfy without leaving the strings feeling like wet spaghetti...I was correct. Got a setup done with a buddy and got the action low and the neck laser straight in no time with no annoying clank or buzz. Promptly wen to a pawn shop and got a vintage Gibson V case for it on the cheap and it fit like it had always been there. Ill order in some proper Grovers and this thing will be right as rain. Ordered in a metal TRC cover so I dont have to look at some dudes name. I could go without the corny decal on the back of the headstock but a mr yuk sticker should cover it nicely.

Long story short wether youre a fan of the dude or not ( I personally like him, just not a Mastadon fan) if you like fat necks, Vs or Silverbursts or all 3 like I do this guitar is a value at its price and a little slice of heaven. If youre getting one And dont have a lot of knowledge about guitars be prepared for better tuners, a suede strap and the cost of a setup. With all that being said its STILL an almost unreal deal for a very impressive instrument.

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG]

Olds442, Malikon, fleahead and 2 others like this.
  2. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Enjoy that baby in good health, B! Are you getting any treatment for CTS?

3. your idol

your idol Senior Member

Thanks Chris! Its on my to do list. I need a hernia opperation (next month) rotator cuff (6months) double knee surgery(hopefully within the year) first. Im 35 and fallin apart!

4. TruckstopChuckie

TruckstopChuckie Senior Member

Happy NGD! Good review. Gotta put this on my Official 2017 GAS-list too... Not sure if the Lace would fit my needs, who cares when it's got a beefy '58 type neck profile.

5. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Well, I hope you get some relief. That axe is gorgeous and you deserve it!

6. Bud Stoner

Bud Stoner Senior Member

That is such a cool guitar! :thumb:

Epiphone has been really putting out some cool new models lately.

I can't wait till my new JB Firebird shows up!

7. Yelir

Yelir Senior Member

I never thought I'd GAS for a Silverburst V, but I can resist only because it doesn't have 7 strings. :fingersx:

Mastodon is an amazing band, it's good to see their guitarists receive a little bump in recognition!

8. shupe13

shupe13 Senior Member

Congrats!

9. Olds442

Olds442 Senior Member

Nice V Custom! congrats! :cheers:

10. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

I got one too. How F-ing amazing is the build quality and flawless fit n finish from the Indonesia factory! I was stunned. Absolutely a steal for $800 bucks and as u said puts the Gibson V to shame. They definitely do nicer work than the Chinese factory

11. Kong

Kong Senior Member

Really solid review, thanks for sharing. I've been thinking of getting one because I have a thing for Silverbursts. I've only heard great things about the build quality.

12. EasyAce

EasyAce Senior Member

I saw one of those in Sam Ash recently. Since I like Flying Vs almost as much as Les Pauls, I tried it
    out. It wasn't as neck heavy as I feared it might be with that neck, and it's a handsome looking beast
    even if you're not a fan of Mastodon or any of the heavy mental music, but I also got to try out
    an Epi 58 Korina Flying V and fell in love with it. Spotted one at American Musical Supply for $549
    and pulled the trigger this morning, it should arrive in a couple of days!