NGD: Brendon Small Thunderhorse Explorer

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by 1all's Pub, Dec 16, 2016.

1. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

Been wanting one of these for a long time... had a chance once to buy one new, but passed and regretted it ever since. Found this one used in good shape and it came with a case... couldn't pass it up again, so I took the plunge! Early Christmas present for me!!! Skwisgaar Swigelf would be proud! :D

To be honest, I've never really been a fan any version of the Gibson BurstBucker pickups... and the Thunderhorse comes with BB1 & BB2. But dang... these have changed my mind about the BBs... really liking these. Great heavy sound when driven (especially through my Electro Harmonix East River Drive pedal (TS808 clone)). Don't think these will be going anywhere. :)

The neck is advertised (as Epi almost seems to do regardless of reality) as a 60s Slim Taper, but it's not... not even close. It's a nice meaty, rounded (i.e., not the usual flattish Epi profile) neck that measures 0.846" & 0.956" at the 1st & 12th frets respectively. And she weighs in at 8.34lbs.

She's not perfectly aesthetically. The front strap button has been moved to the back of the guitar by the heel... and she displays no tendency to neck dive (as some Explorers do). And she has a few scratches (nothing very deep) on her back. But I love the fact that the body and neck are bound and I have always had a thing for Silver Burst LPs... so this fills that niche nicely. Anyway, the minor wear & tear just indicate that clearly she was a player, and that makes sense considering how great she sounds and how nice she plays. All in all... a real keeper and will make a great companion to the Epi 1967 RI Black & White Flying V which I picked up a few months ago. ;)

Anyway, in keeping with my tradition of naming my guitars after classic actresses and/or sex symbols, I have named this one Yvonne (after actress Yvonne De Carlo who among many roles played Lily Munster on TV's The Munsters...LOL... but she was very popular film actress in the 40s & 50s).

But enough blabbing... here's pics! :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Zarg and Alligatorbling like this.
  2. Zarg

Zarg Senior Member

very very nice! I just got an explorer myself and they are amazing guitars, really liking the silverburst and binding.

play the thunderhorse in good health and enjoy it! :dude:

3. thatF-INGflyingVguy

thatF-INGflyingVguy Senior Member

congrats love it !!!
    1 of the few guitars I like in silver burst

4. Walt_T

Walt_T Senior Member

That thing is killer! I don't much care for Silver Burst either, but that really wears it well.

5. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

Oh man, congrats!

That's one of the sweetest explorers you can get!

HNGD :)

6. GS1

GS1 Senior Member

Very cool, and great name!

7. Dirtyclinic

Dirtyclinic Senior Member

That is so cool

8. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

That might be my old guitar. No gig bag right?

9. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

Yes, no gig bag. Came with the case pictured. I ended up returning it because i had a too many little "minor issues" that individually would have been no problem, but collectively just added up for too much for my preferences. As I said, I returned it, and bought a Gibby Explorer instead (not a Thunderhorse, just a regular Gibby Explorer).

It was a great sounding guitar. First (and so far only) time I really liked BurstBuckers.