NGD: Bonamassa Firebird

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by CaineIsCarter, Mar 1, 2017.

1. CaineIsCarter

CaineIsCarter Member

I've just been home to have 30 minutes with this latest addition to my addiction. Excuse the rather hurried nature of the pics, and I apologise if you've already read this post since I'm copying and pasting it everywhere :)

This is a FANTASTIC guitar. I am giddy with excitement over it, and cannot wait to get back home to drool over it and play it. It's the most exciting new guitar I've bought in years. In fairness, there's a huge element of novelty factor to take into account; all of my other purchases have been fine instruments, but nothing I haven't seen or played before. This is very different.

At first, it felt like I was trying to strum a double bass. It's a big guitar, and is unbalanced when strapped on and standing up. The headstock wants to dive.

But in every other respect, this is a stunning guitar. It is absolutely beautiful to behold. It's a proper Firebird with a proper through-neck, it's fantastically well-built, and it arrived in a rather naff gigbag with a signed COA which frankly means nothing to me. No disrespect intended to Mr Bonamassa, but I didn't really know who he was before I spotted these guitars last year.

It came perfectly set up, which is unusual, and every single part of it exudes quality.

It is sublime to play, with a very satisfying neck and a slinkiness about the fretboard that I love. It sounds brilliant through my Pro Jr; sweet cleans and a progressive arc of dirt with a TS clone that runs from a bit of hair to a sweet snarl.

If you love electric guitars, get one of these. At least go and try one. I'm in awe of what Epiphone has produced and will wave the headstock proudly in the face of anyone who suggests it's somehow lacking just because it doesn't say Gibson on there.

Pics later once I can remember how.

2. Bud Stoner

Bud Stoner Senior Member

Welcome to the club! :applause::thumb:

Can't wait to see the pics!

3. Parasite68

Parasite68 Senior Member

Yep! I've said it before and I'll say it again... Epiphone knocked it out of the park with this one. Up until December, I had 3 Bonamassa LPs. I traded the Inverness Green to get this one. Best decision I've ever made since getting a restraining order against my x-wife!:thumb:

I can't praise this model enough.... it's the kind of guitar you get hooked on playing but feel guilty for getting it dirty, because it MUST be displayed in between uses!

4. judson

judson Senior Member

been a life long firebird guy and this one will make you happy without killing your wallet, the look is worth it alone, playabilty is everything you could ask for in a mid level new guitar...

great to see offfered and thanks all that made it happen...they will be around for a long time...

5. CaineIsCarter

CaineIsCarter Member

Hi folks and thanks for the replies. I've been trying to work out how to get links working from my photobucket account but cannot for the life of me remember how. In the meantime if you don't mind clicking another link, you can see pics on this thread:

https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/ngd-epi-bonamassa-firebird-yeah-baby.429288/#post-2701813

I'm loving the guitar - but I must confess the neck-dive is becoming a bit tiresome. I need to come up with a grippy lining for my wide leather strap to try and hold it in place. I tried velcro, but I don't really know why since I rarely if at all wear velcro shirts :)

6. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

^^^ Great photos.

Congrats on the guitar.

:applause:

7. charlie chitlins

charlie chitlins Senior Member

Try a wide leather strap with raw/rough leather underneath.
    I want one of these SO BADLY, but I have to keep reminding myself I can't bond with 1 pickup at the bridge.
    Things could go badly for me if a 2 pickup model emerges.
    I wouldn't be surprised...