NGD - Ampeg Dan Armstrong.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Gar, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Gar

Gar Senior Member

[​IMG]
    I knew this would be good but this has exceeded expectations. The humbucker sounds awesome, but the single coil is WOW. No pun intended, but the clarity is awesome with drive. You can hear every note. Love it.

2. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

That`s a kind of cool :thumb:

congrats and HNGD :applause:

3. sixlicks

sixlicks Senior Member

I really like that guitar . I like it now and I liked when I bought mine . Enjoy .

4. drugprowlingwolf

drugprowlingwolf Senior Member

Nice! Love those ever since I saw Keith, Thunders, and Ginn of Black Flag rocking them. Somehow they dropped off my radar when I got really into guitar (construction and such) - maybe there's not enough to argue about with purists! Lol.

Would love to hear it into a cranked tweed deluxe in drop G - Can't You Hear Me Knockin'!

Kris Ford likes this.
  5. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

killer axe man :rock: how heavy is it? I played one that was comfortable, and one that felt like a ton of bricks

6. Gar

Gar Senior Member

Doesn't feel heavy so I just had a weigh in on the bathroom scales. My Les Paul Traditional 2016 and my Ampeg are both 8.4 lbs. Probably not very accurate but they don't feel really heavy at all.

Benjammin likes this.
  7. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

Sweet!
    Just a PSA....:dude:

These guitars had interchangeable pickups designed by Bill Lawrence who shared the Greenwich Village shop with Armstrong, and eventually took it over when Armstrong moved to London.

[​IMG]
    Two pickups came stock with the guitar, the Rock Treble and the Country Bass. According to Dan "approximately a year later we included the ST pickup in the lineup and it eventually replaced the RT pickup as a stocking pickup."

However, additional pickups could be ordered from Ampeg for $35.00 each. The white box that the pickups were shipped in were clearly labeled with the Dan Armstrong/Ampeg name on them as well as the type of pickup that was within. The pickups were surrounded by foam packing throughout.

Many players like to know the DC resistance of a pickup as they equate it with actual power output. Unfortunately this is not the case entirely, for there are other factors involved. Quoting from Bill Lawrence's web site, he talks about the amount of windings, stating "DC resistance is NOT a power rating; it is the resistance of the wire in a pickup's coil at zero hertz, something that only occurs when the guitar isn't played. If some marketers use DC resistance as a power rating for an AC device, like a pickup, then they only show their ignorance."

He summed it all up rather concisely by stating "DC resistance (Rdc) tells you as much about a pickup's tone and output as the shoe size tells you about a person's intelligence!" He closed by stating "tone and output mainly depend on the relation between inductance, magnetic strength and the efficiency of the pickup, as well as the relation between the inductance of the pickup and the capacitance of the cable."

However, for those who still wish to know, and as a reference, I have decided to nevertheless show the various readings of the Dan Armstrong pickups that I have at my disposal.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

As can be seen in the upper left, the ST or 'Sustain Treble' pickup comes in with a reading of 9.4K Whereas the RT or 'Rock Treble' pickup, seen upper right gives a reading of nearly 2.7K

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Upper left, the JT or 'Jazz Treble' pickup has a very similar reading as the Rock Treble pickup as it comes in at 2.65K while my JB or 'Jazz Bass' pickup gives a reading of 8.3K.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

One of my CB or 'Country Bass' pickups measures in at 8.9K while my second one comes in at 8.6K - somewhat less than the first one, yet they both exhibit the same sound when slid into the guitar. All of which seems to support the statements made by Bill Lawrence that DC resistance plays only a part in a pickups strength and sound.
    Many visitors to the site have noticed that a fair amount of Dan Armstrong pickups go bad over time and need to be replaced or rewound. Some of them, like the one seen in this section have been altered, and it's easy to understand why they have gone bad, but an equal number of them have just gone bad on their own, with no alterations or modifications and many cannot help but wonder why. To a large degree the answer lies in their design. The simple fact that they are interchangeable pickups usually means they get handled a great deal - much more than pickups that are permanently anchored in place on another guitar. A moderate amount of caution should be exercised when it comes to the handling of these older pickups as a result.

endial, fleahead and guidothepimmp like this.
  8. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Rich Robinson had one as well I think..survived the flood from Hurricane Sandy.
    upload_2017-8-31_15-5-36.jpeg
    AND Joe Perry!
    [​IMG]

drugprowlingwolf likes this.
  9. SFK

SFK V.I.P. Member

I used to have the smoked Lucite model.

The Rock Treble pickup is a thing of beauty!

drugprowlingwolf likes this.
  10. Walt_T

Walt_T Senior Member

I always liked those.

11. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

Very cool. Congratulations!

12. Gar

Gar Senior Member

Thanks for the comments and input guys. I probably would never have bought one had it not been for Dave Grohl playing one. At the time I liked his Explorer and wasn't keen on the lucite, but nostalgia got the better of me and I thought what the heck! There's no easy way of adjusting string height other than sanding the bridge, and intonation is a comprimise but it just sounds so good! Looks cool as hell too! The smoked plexi is a cool looking guitar too. Feel free to post pics.

13. The_Nuge

The_Nuge Senior Member

How cool is that!?
    Happy New Guitar Day!

14. drugprowlingwolf

drugprowlingwolf Senior Member

Didn't know that about Rich! As usual you're a wealth of knowledge!

Kris Ford likes this.
  15. Serdontos

Serdontos Junior Member

Greg Ginn Guitar

[​IMG]

lunchbox and Benjammin like this.
  16. Gar

Gar Senior Member

Cool, I've had Damaged and My War on all week!

17. lunchbox

lunchbox Senior Member

Cool guitars, congrats!

Scott Hill from Fu Manchu
    [​IMG]

BL'AST has dueling DA's
    upload_2017-9-8_11-31-17.jpeg