NGD - '61 LP Std

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by J.T., Mar 2, 2012.

1. J.T.

J.T. Senior Member

LOL! I'm told I can't afford it - in so many ways... :laugh2:

Greg was just raving about the guitar and the pickups; and from him, I have to take that as a huge compliment. He reallyreallyreally wants to make it Pelham blue. If it plays as good as he says it does, I may be compelled to, even though I bought it with refurbing and flipping in mind. Some of the best things in life sneak up on you when you least expect it...

2. Old Crow

Old Crow Member

Newbe here and just stumbled onto this hidden SG forum....
    anyhow, pls. don't do it. Don't paint it blue. Either keep it as is or put it back to as close to factory orig. as possible.

3. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

You have a '61 SG LP standard, if I read the posts right. You don't have the original side pull trem, that all of these came with. They don't come back in tune well. Plus, I think they suck tone. (See my sig below, I own a one-owner one of these.) And getting an original trem like this is going to cost a fortune, so I don't recommend going that route.

But as I said above, all of these 61s originally came in cherry stain under nitro. I would strongly recommend going that route to keep the resale up as high as you can, in light of your missing trem.

4. J.T.

J.T. Senior Member

No worries - I wouldn't put a sidewinder on a guitar I hated, let alone this one, lol. And no re-re-fin anytime soon, if ever. It looks pretty hot in black, anyhow. I gotta say, Greg was right, this is one of the most vibrant, alive guitars I've ever played. The neck just buzzes when you hit a chord. Wow. I believe his exact words were "a once in a lifetime guitar." It may be...

5. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

Well congrats! Guitars (after all) are meant to play -- not so much to collect. So go out and make some good music with it.:)

6. Strav

Strav Banned

Interesting guitar.