NGD - '61 LP Std

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by J.T., Mar 2, 2012.

1. SoloDallas

SoloDallas Senior Member

HaHa, it's like I CAN imagine that, believe me.

:)

2. Cpt_Gonzo

Cpt_Gonzo Senior Member

We had chinese spambots on here that wanted to sell "P O K E R C H I P S", the real ones, not the toggle switch chips, to everyone.

Those bots select websites after the quantity of usage of a specific word. And in this case, P O K E R C H I P S.

3. J.T.

J.T. Senior Member

Like Paul Harvey used to say - and now we know the rest of the story. Thanks for the explanation.

4. Red Pharoah

Red Pharoah Banned

JT. How is the neck depth? Thin, very thin, medium feel or chunky?

5. J.T.

J.T. Senior Member

It's between 13/16ths & 7/8's at the 12th fret. Very thin, for me anyhow. I like baseball bats. But honestly, I don't find it uncomfortable at all. Weird.

6. major

major Senior Member

I run a number of forum sites (not about guitars) - using the very same PHP board as this one.
    There are far more effective ways of stopping ALL spambots, without having to resort to the "banned words" facility. That's really just for obscenities and such.

Banning "p o k e r c h i p s" on a Les Paul site is just wierd:shock::shock::shock:

7. Kalamazuu

Kalamazuu Senior Member

Very cool man, congrats!
    Got any clips?

8. J.T.

J.T. Senior Member

No, not really set up for it. Although I do work in technology, I'm kind of tech-avoidant when it comes to my guitars, etc. (for reference, see my avatar!). I do have a camera that can do video clips - maybe I can do that & strip out the sound. Any tips for an old fart with limited tools?

9. J.T.

J.T. Senior Member

double post

10. J.T.

J.T. Senior Member

And now it's off to BCRGreg for some neck binding...

11. J.T.

J.T. Senior Member

Greg called last week and confirmed it made the trip in good shape. We're good for the rebind, and discussed a few playability improvements. Now to work my way through the queue...

12. HOT-BRIT

HOT-BRIT V.I.P. Member

I agree Kevin, I definitely would not refinish it or change the bridge and tailpiece to a sideways vibrola

13. J.T.

J.T. Senior Member

Still undecided on a refin, but I have lots of time to make up my mind. If I do, it may be on the back only, to get it all back to nitro. The "tailpiece" (actually a later Jr. stairstep wraptail) will be changed out with a milled Pigtail TP - no sidewinders! The string spacing on the bridge is way off. Greg is going to try to save the saddles by milling them a little and re-notching them. If there's not enough material, we'll have to replace them. I expect it should be very playable by the time he gets done with it. :dude:

14. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

I know I'm a little "late to the party" here, but a couple of comments anyway. I bought a Gibson LP SG Standard new in '61 and still have it. In my shopping back then, never say this make, year, and model in anything but cherry stain under nitro. Also, never saw one without a side pull trem. In fact, I even inquired back then if one were available with just an ABR bridge and a TP (which I would have preferred) and Gibson said "no".

15. J.T.

J.T. Senior Member

If you look at the case, there is evidence of it having had a sidewinder for quite a while - there's a real strong ghost of it in the velour. The seller bought this guitar in the mid-70's and did nothing else to it, leaving it in the case until I recently bought it. My guess - and this is only a guess - is that a previous owner was an early AC/DC fan and had it converted with that in mind. Whoever did the work was nice enough to leave the solder joints on the pots intact - but they chopped the pickup wires in the cavities, ugh. The cavities all have black nitro in them. Then, in an Angus-like fit, the PO busted the neck off. :) It was probably repaired & repainted on the back with non-nitro paint. Anyhow, the repair must have been done very well, because there's no evidence of it in the paint at all. Either that, or the paint is mondo thick. Whatever, it'll be a while before Greg gets done with the neck binding & TP/bridge repairs. After I get it back, I'll decide what to do with the finish. I'd really like to uncover the serial #, if nothing else...

16. tspoon5150

tspoon5150 Senior Member

Nice project, has potential, Greg will do a good job on it......

Congrats.......

17. J.T.

J.T. Senior Member

Unka Greg sent me a couple pics yesterday - we're in the home stretch now. And damn, does he do some good work. :applause: Can't wait to get this beast back & crank her up!

18. J.T.

J.T. Senior Member

Not long now - got a call from Unka Greg this afternoon and answered the phone to an absolute shred. Holy crap. If it plays as good as it sounds, I think we gots us a winner. Can't wait to get her home next week... :fingersx:

...and then this evening, he teases me with this:

[​IMG]

19. J.T.

J.T. Senior Member

I'm hoping she drives the brown truck...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. chef

chef Senior Member

You might have to pay extra shipping fees for that to happen...

Nice guitar!