NGD - '61 LP Std

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by J.T., Mar 2, 2012.

1. J.T.

J.T. Senior Member

Trying to put up a NGD post in this forum and I'm getting kicked out to the homepage when I try to submit. Thought I'd see if a totally different post would do better...

2. J.T.

J.T. Senior Member

OK - so it's not liking something in my text - let's try this a little bit at a time.

3. J.T.

J.T. Senior Member

OK, Frank - here's your "before" pics. I'm going to be lazy & just attach them, cuz I've got to get ready to go see Lewis Black tonight. Speaking of black, has anyone ever seen a black '61 Std? Obviously a refin and some major mods going on here. First, the paint - looks like nitro over most of the guitar. Glows a purty green under the blacklight - until you get to the back. It has no glow at all, all the way up to about 3" above the neck joint. Hmmm, wonder what could be going on under all that non-standard paint, lol? Add to that thought that the neck binding went missing somewhere along the line, too, and the bet that it's had a neck joint repair looks pretty sure (but it is hidden well). It does have the tapered in neck joint.

Somewhere along the line, it's lost its sidewinder, too - but the case shows evidence of one having been there. It's been replaced with an ABR-1 (with the machined out ends on the bottom) and what appears to be a post-'63 stairstepped wraptail. With the (mis)positioning of the bridge and the wider-spaced tailpiece, the V's in the bridge saddles are all over the place, lol.

Add to this butchery that the refurbisher obviously didn't own a soldering iron - or, he finally bought one after he cut the PAF's out of the guitar, when he tore it down for paint. It does make the control cavity stay looking nice, tho. The crap resoldered together lead wires are going to need remediation, too. Anyhow, the pickups do look to be the originals (the leads are the correct shortness, anyway!). And boy, do they scream. They're about 8.3 and 8.5K as I remember, and peeking through the bobbin mount holes, look to be double-whites (one might be a zebra). Covers have un-messed-with solder. Knobs might be late 60's or early 70's, but I don't think they are original. Lots of incorrect screws. Rhythm/Treble selector collar is missing.

Anyhow, next week I'll fully disassemble it and see if I can get date codes off the pots. Unfortunately, the paint job has obliterated the serial #. Were all of them (on the SG body style) embossed, or were there some stamped? I'm wondering if I can get to it without destroying it. Not quite sure what I'm going to do about the finish yet. I will try to work some of the overspray on the back out slowly and by hand. Just to see if I can get it down to the nitro. And I may wind up stripping the whole thing down and go for a full refin. Might be a good excuse to get that soda blaster I've been lusting for. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

5 people like this.
  4. J.T.

J.T. Senior Member

It's not April Fool's day yet. So why does the term "p o k e r c h i p" in a post cause you to hit the homepage? Or did I just find an MLPF easter egg?

5. Kevin James

Kevin James V.I.P. Member

Nice SG, congrats :dude:

1 person likes this.
  6. J.T.

J.T. Senior Member

Thanks, Kevin - it's got the basics for a nice one, but it will take some coaxing...

7. Actinic

Actinic Senior Member

Interested in seeing the cavity shots- do you have enough lead wire to just extend them to the pot lugs and resolder?

8. J.T.

J.T. Senior Member

Yeah, they never got detached from the pots - the nimrod clipped the wires in the pickup cavities. Sheesh...

9. 61LPSG

61LPSG Senior Member

Congats J.T.
    Looks like it's in pretty nice shape. I'm curious, will a proper stoptail fit in the same holes as the stepped one?

10. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Premium Member

Congrats and HNGD JT! :jam:

11. J.T.

J.T. Senior Member

No, unfortunately it's 3 1/4" center to center. I believe a regular tailpiece is 3 1/8" CTC. I suppose I could machine one a little bit. First I'm going to try a non-stepped wraptail & see how that does.

12. J.T.

J.T. Senior Member

Thanks! I'm actually having fun playing it, even if it isn't quite right - yet. It's not as bad feeling as you might imagine.

13. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Premium Member

Very cool! Just think how much fun it will be when you have it playing the way you like!

14. Kevin James

Kevin James V.I.P. Member

It looks like the tail piece is slightly angled too, or is that a trick of the picture?

If it were me I think the only things I would do is try to remove the finish over the neck binding so you could see it, and flip that neck pickup back the right way. Other then that I think it looks GREAT as is. Looks like Angus's black stop tailed 64 :)

1 person likes this.
  15. J.T.

J.T. Senior Member

Good eye, Kevin. The bass side is set about 1/8" back from the treble side. Not sure if the installer did that on purpose, or just out of ineptness. I already flipped the pickup. After I had things apart, I reinstalled it the correct way. They had the ring turned 180 degrees out. The seller told me he bought the guitar in '75 in the condition it's in today. My guess is given the time period, that the Angus look is exactly what the previous owner was going for. But it's hard to know for sure. I don't think I'm going to mess with the top for the time being, as it's in very good shape. But I do think I'm going to try to take the non-nitro paint off the back to see if I can get it back to the nitro. I may also strip the neck since the binding is completely gone and is going to need to be replaced (plus, I want to see if I can uncover the serial #). The gap on the bass side is pretty consistent. But on the treble side it varies. I've got to get out the caliper and see if it's the neck or the fretboard that's not right. Eventually it will probably make its way to BCRGreg for a refret & rebinding...

16. HOT-BRIT

HOT-BRIT V.I.P. Member

nice one JT

17. J.T.

J.T. Senior Member

Thanks Brit - I've always been a sucker for a good reclamation project.

1 person likes this.
  18. J.T.

J.T. Senior Member

So I opened it up to re-do the hack soldering job on the pickup leads, and took a look at the tone pots. Date code is 6140. Meter readings for the pickups are 7.7 at the neck and 8.8 at the bridge. Time to get some new strings on her and make her scream...

19. SoloDallas

SoloDallas Senior Member

I like it JT!
    8.8 is HOT; good for ya

20. J.T.

J.T. Senior Member

Thanks, Fil - you should hear it through the '57 Fender on 12... :dude:

1 person likes this.