NGD - 59/60 Les Paul Special (not for the squeamish)

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by none2low, Jul 28, 2015.

1. RevWillie

RevWillie Senior Member

deleted

2. allwheelz

allwheelz Senior Member

I would say restore that bad boy just for the fun of it....still cant get over the cavities on that thing......looks like they dumped ants on it and let them do the work...lol...cool score though

3. none2low

none2low Senior Member

Yeah, the routes are pretty tore up. I think I'm going to put it back together, as is, play it for a bit and then decide which direction I want to go.

4. Mike60

Mike60 V.I.P. Member

after looking at this one it is likely a '59...prolly a six digit '59.

as far as doing any kind of restore,I'd leave as is and enjoy it.

5. none2low

none2low Senior Member

Thanks for looking!! By chance do you know when the "les paul" script was removed from the headstock?

It has some finish cracks around the neck joint (which is concerning) but it seems stable for now. For the time being I'm going to keep it as is... We'll see how long the part of me that is dying to know if there is a serial number still lurking under the refin can resist. :hmm:

1 person likes this.
  6. David Mccarroll

David Mccarroll Senior Member

Okay, the colour is probably not what I would have chosen, but plenty of people like black guitars.....

Look at it this way - sort of by accident you ended up with a guitar that Gibson probably should have made anyway - intermediate between a LP Special and a Standard - a Special with humbucking pickups!

I think the guitar is great just the way she is, and I imagine sounds sensational - I don't think you'd ever get your money back for a hole fill/ make good / refinish, so do it purely for the love of the guitar if there is the desire to do so.

Great find, and head and shoulders over any new Gibson.

7. none2low

none2low Senior Member

Thanks!! This is another reason why I love this forum. Warts and all we love our Gibbys.

Now if I can only figure out a way to keep people from posting all these awesome TV yellow specials that are popping up lately... :hmm:

8. MooCheng

MooCheng Senior Member

[​IMG]

whooo ! where the routed, well choveled, for the neck pu'p theres hardly any tenon left, I'm amaized its held together so long

9. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

I'd leave the HBs and not worry about all original specs, but I can hear it screaming "I want to be yellow again, please make me yellow again".

10. none2low

none2low Senior Member

Hmmmm.... :hmm:

[​IMG]

11. Philuk

Philuk Senior Member

Wow. That's a find. Why would someone do this?

I'd get it restored. No question.

12. lewis_grey

lewis_grey Senior Member

If it were mine and I loved the way it played and sounded as is I'd just clean up the route holes best I could, add some strength under the pickup rings if needed and then get a nice refin done at some point....not sure how the gold hardware would go with TV yellow so I'd consider going cherry red with it.

I think it would almost be a shame to get it fully restored at this point and it's fairly unique and you can never fully undo what's been done to it, best to just embrace it and clean it up a bit!

13. none2low

none2low Senior Member

Thanks! The jury is still out on whether or not I'll have it restored. I do have to admit temptation and curiosity got the better of me and I have a set of P90s out of a LP Special en route. As good as the Pat#s sound in there I just felt like I needed to know, otherwise I'll always be wondering. :hmm:

14. Tarcisioo

Tarcisioo Member

Look at this

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Or maybe this

[​IMG]

You still got a choice, but for how much longer it will be a choice and not an urgent need? The way she looks and the way it's damaged, I wouldn't bet much long. But it will happen.

15. jeggz

jeggz Senior Member

This is a perfect "DIY" project.

To make things "easier" I'd go ReRanch cherry.

Also I'd try and use a repro 60 pickguard to put more wood in the neck joint area.

16. none2low

none2low Senior Member

Well after spending some time with both sets of pickups. A set of P90s from a '59 special and the Pat#s that came with it the decision is made. P90s rock!! lol

As cool as the black refin was I have decided that I want to see it restored back to its former glory. While I'll probably not recoup the cost to have it done right, it needs to be done. Haven't decided yet who it'll go to, but I'm leaning towards the crew over at Historic Makeovers.

I appreciate every one that has participated in the discussion and given thoughts and encouragement on which way to go. I will be sure to update the thread once more is underway.

Anyone know who does accurate '59 special repro pickguards?

yamariv and Tarcisioo like this.
  17. Axeman16

Axeman16 V.I.P. Member

i think you should restore it since you got a good deal on it . the patent # pickups are worth a few bucks that could go toward a route fill and reroute with a refin. other than that what does it need from some hardware? then you would have a 1959 special thats better than anything gibson makes for less than a cs or a clean vintage

18. RevWillie

RevWillie Senior Member

Great choice! Kim & crew will do a excellent job with great communication and customer service.

Contact Dan at MojoAxe.

19. none2low

none2low Senior Member

Thanks!! That's exactly what I needed. :applause:

1 person likes this.
  20. none2low

none2low Senior Member

So the mystery continues. :hmm:

After getting in contact with Dan from Mojoaxe, he sent me a copy of his '59 LP Special template to verify fit. And wouldn't you know it, it doesn't match up (screw holes are off and the bottom overlaps the switch washer)

No problem I think to myself, quick email back to Dan figuring there was probably an early '59 template and a late '59 template (pre and post switch move) but as it turns out there were at least 3-4 different pickguards used in 1959.

Here is the picture Dan was kind enough to send illustrating the changes.

[​IMG]

And for reference here is a picture of an early 1960 LP Special.

[​IMG]

Based upon the screw hole position and a few other details this appears to be the guard I need? (Note the overlap on the pickup cover and how it ends more or less parallel with the top of filler strip/fretboard)

But this leads me to more questions...

1. Does anyone have a verified example of a 1959 Special with this 1960 style pickguard? The only examples I can find are refins. without serial numbers.

2. If there are late '59 examples with this style guard, does anyone know if Gibson changed the pickguard again in early 1960?

3. Are there any other differences in cavity routing between late '59 and early '60?

I have drawn up a template that seems like it's close, however before I send it off to Dan I am hoping I can get some clarification to the questions above.

Thanks ahead of time to anyone that can help solve this puzzle.