NGD: 2018 Ltd. Ed. to 200 Epi Les Paul Peter Frampton w/Signed COA

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Les Paul John, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Les Paul John

Les Paul John Senior Member

If you've been following this soap opera story about this guitar you will know I received one a while back and it had a defective truss rod. It would hold the relief for about 1 hour and then slip to the point it would be a buzz machine. The guitar was shipped upside down which I think may have somehow contributed to that. I have had two guitars in the past returned for broken headstocks when shipped upside down. Maybe when a box says "This side UP" that an employee should pay attention to that?

So, this guitar is perfect which is rare for an Epiphone, usually you have to do "something" to it, fret level, bridge out of radius etc. This one was perfect .... which is good.

The neck is not the ultra slim neck profile like the Gibson Frampton, I own that guitar too but wanted this one as I'm a fan and it has a signed COA. The neck on this one is a regular fat 50s which is very nice, don't knock it but know if you wanted a 60s slimline this isn't what you'll get.

I'll throw this out here also after some of the ridiculous things you read online .... yes each COA is in fact REALLY signed and not printed. I had kept my photos from the last one I had received and compared it and they're slightly different and the one I got yesterday had a smudge of ink at the end of the signature. presumably done by Mr. Frampton when signing them in a signing sitting at Epiphone.

The first thing I did was after setting it up changing the strings and polishing the frets. I do this whenever I get a new guitar but with Epiphones they always have that crusty new feel from not polishing them at the factory. Usually these smooth out just playing it but I feel it should be done at the factory .... call me kooky.

The tone is amazing as it has the Ceramic Pro in the bridge and two ProBuckers (Probucker 2 in Bridge and Probucker 3 in the middle) which I absolutely love to death.

This guitar, just like the Gibson version since it is wired to Frampton's specifications hums when all the volumes are off while sitting on the stand by itself with your not grounding it by touching it. That isn't an Epiphone screw up or cheap crap Epiphone thing. The Gibson one does it too, it's made that way .... when the volumes are on the hum is not there. You'll understand when you play it because the toggle switch offers that the top vol. knob typically for the neck pickup is both for the bridge and neck. The selector switch on Treble has the neck vol knob as the vol and the selector on Rhythm has that same vol knob work the neck pickup. The Treble selected vol knob on Bridge is the middle pickup on its own vol. It is always on, if you want the middle pickup off you must drop the vol knob to zero. I've probably confused you more than anything but this guitar is wired like no other three pickup guitar I've ever played.

That's just how Mr. Frampton has it on his Phenix.

Build quality is better than the one I returned, it must have been a dud. This guitar is wonderful, the frets are level and excellent. It just needed a fret buffing/polish which I did.

The guitar case is your standard Epiphone case which had for case candy the poster for Epiphone guitars, tags, hex wrench for the truss rod and also 2 strap locks which Frampton uses. The Gibson one also came with those as well.

The Grover tuners are very very accurate and I wish Gibson would use more of the Grovers Epiphone uses which are 18:1 ratio... these on this one are 18:1 in feel and very smooth and accurate.

Final notes: There's no actual number on these and it is "strictly limited to 200" but I returned the last one, waited about 1 month and got a new one shipped which would mean they had more "signed" by Mr. Frampton (?)

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/El...Peter-Frampton-LP-Custom-PRO-Prem-Outfit.aspx

SPECIFICATIONS
    Top Material Hard Maple Cap
    Body Material Mahogany; Weight Relieved
    Neck Material Mahogany
    Neck Profile Custom "Phenix" profile
    Neck Joint Glued-In; Long Neck Tenon
    Headstock Traditional Epiphone w/"Peter Frampton" signature replica on back in GOLD.
    Truss Rod 2-way Adjustable
    Truss Rod Cover "Bell" shaped; 2-layer (B/W); "Les Paul Custom" in White
    Scale Length 24.75"
    Fingerboard Material Ebony
    Fingerboard Inlay Pearloid "Blocks"
    Neck Pickup Epiphone® ProBucker-2™; Open-Coil
    Middle Pickup Epiphone® ProBucker-3™; Open-Coil
    Bridge Pickup Epiphone® Ceramic PRO™; Open-Coil
    Controls Epiphone® All-metal 3-way Pickup Selector, (Neck and Bridge pickup only. Middle pickup always on.), 1 - Volume (Bridge & Neck combined), 1 - Tone (Bridge & Neck combined), 1 - Volume (Middle pickup), 1 - Tone (Middle pickup)
    Binding Fingerboard: 1 ply (White), Body Top: 7-ply (White/Black/W/B/W/B/W), Body Back: 5-ply (White/Black/W/B/W), Headstock: 5-ply (White/Black/W/B/W), Knobs: Gold "Speed" Knobs
    Fingerboard Radius 12"
    Frets 22; medium-jumbo
    Bridge LockTone™ Tune-o-matic
    Tailpiece LockTone™ Stopbar
    Nut Width 1-11/16"
    Hardware Gold
    Machine Heads Grover® Rotomatic™; 18:1 ratio
    Includes Premium Hard Case, Epiphone StrapLocks, Hand Signed Certificate of Authenticity, Presentation Binder
    Other "2018" Edition logo on back of headstock
    Finish Gloss
    Optional Hard Case (940-ENLPCS), Case UPC = 711106261591
    Production Run Maximum 200 instruments
    Warranty Epiphone Limited Lifetime
    Website www.Epiphone.com
    Service 1-800-4GIBSON (1-800-444-2766), service@gibson.com

IMG_4500.jpg IMG_4508.jpg IMG_4505.jpg IMG_4486.jpg IMG_4485.jpg IMG_4497.jpg IMG_4507.jpg IMG_4498.jpg IMG_4504.jpg IMG_4480.jpg IMG_4493.jpg IMG_4503.jpg IMG_4509.jpg

2. Les Paul John

Here's the compare on the previous COA signature and the new one I got yesterday. You'll see the differences so if you see online they're printed repost these and tell them to stop talking lol.

New one on the left for this guitar pictured above and the one on the Right is the one I had returned a month ago or whatever it was.

IMG_4493.jpg o_4kVX1K.jpg

Midnight Blues, shupe13 and Eddie 70 like this.
  3. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Old School Premium Member

Congratulations! :)

Les Paul John likes this.
  4. sasquatch

sasquatch Senior Member

Beautiful !
    I've always loved the 'Show me the way' guitar
    they should offer up the talkbox unit too just for kicks
    I just haven't and probably won't pull the trigg on this one
    space is at a minimum. Overloaded with enough good ones...
    time to call it.
    I am FAT with G.A.S. already. about to POP

5. elephantrider

elephantrider Senior Member

very nice !

6. dCi_king

dCi_king Senior Member

Ebony fretboard... :applause:

Gtarzan81 and Les Paul John like this.
  7. gcbike

gcbike Senior Member

Welcome to the club looks great.Wonder if they are putting the good ebony on the 200 run.

8. Les Paul John

Looks good, I used the flash to show any dyed grain streaks and don’t see any. There’s not much info online about this run. Seems like a good slab of nice ebony.

564080DE-F092-46DB-B8F0-265FEBCD108B.jpeg 8A70C796-D8C2-4D58-99EF-D62E22D76551.jpeg

9. Les Paul John

I should add that I kept the pictures from the one I returned previously which did have streaks in the ebony .... as well as subpar fret finish work. The new guitar is great, this one pictured I returned was disappointing.

Glad you brought this up because this new fret board is better than the return I did. Interesting, I wonder why?

4A0ACB08-60C9-418B-B002-6194D64C25F5.jpeg 5DAA0A4A-4107-468E-B000-1EA86AAA07E9.jpeg

Midnight Blues and shupe13 like this.
  10. gcbike

gcbike Senior Member

11. BKS

BKS Senior Member

Love it but allready have two 3 pickup epiphone lp. Might get those pickups and rewire one of them. If i buy more i will need a bigger house...

Gtarzan81 and Les Paul John like this.
  12. Eddie 70

Eddie 70 Senior Member

Congrats on a nice looking guitar. I would wear it out!! Have fun with it.

13. Les Paul John

They have tricky wiring, I’ve never seen a three pickup wired like this. Beeeeezar.

F39CA18B-FCDC-44F6-A61E-8299F5038247.jpeg

BKS likes this.
  14. Les Paul John

Took a few side by side photos of the Gibson and Epiphone together. I marked them for each like that was even necessary right?

Anyway....

Noticed big differences like the top carve being steeper on the Epiphone and the neck angle being considerably less with regard to the headstock angle.

Binding quality, inlay quality, logo inlay quality and depth in look, finish quality, plastics quality all lean Gibson as one would expect.

Bridge to humbucker distance is different too, Gibson pickup is closer.

The Gibson is heavier in weight by what feels like a pound, didn’t weigh them. Also feels more solidly built than the Epiphone. The Epiphone has a plastic vinyl like smell and the Gibson the Nitro / case glue smell.

Interesting.

3BAFF7BE-CFCF-4C8A-B5EC-E9CAB17F9116.jpeg C83C03B2-C122-4CD7-9E5F-8EEA8722AA2B.jpeg 187B5DC2-4241-4E48-8944-1EF22DBD059D.jpeg E3BA122F-6244-4197-8649-1ABF1E076C2E.jpeg FC68DD4D-DB55-43CC-97A9-7542695EEF10.jpeg 01926402-A218-475A-B857-7E2ADB2CF365.jpeg 07B52A44-AD2F-45E9-A393-72625FD5B5B3.jpeg DF1BAEE4-2AB3-4D0C-B033-5943DEBC9E90.jpeg 80D1AE84-54E7-44A1-84ED-B9B7B8503840.jpeg E0D010E5-0AFC-4B78-8CEB-CBCE4E6EC2D4.jpeg
    2DF97F51-410C-4584-84DD-41F88324C0B9.jpeg

15. BKS

BKS Senior Member

Saw somewhere how to rewire using one of the tone knobs as a volume for the middle. Giving loads of options including blending them. My carvin has a blendpot and I really like it. Gives so many options it is probably to much haha.
    Wonder how Randy Rhoads 3 pickup lp custom was was wired....haha

16. Les Paul John

I have a Gibson SGS-3 (pictures of mine attached) with three vol. knobs and a master tone but the Frampton is completely different. One single vol. is for the neck and bridge on the same pot only for both and you select which with the switch.

The selector in the middle is like a Tele and you cannot lower the vol. on just one or the other, they both stay equal. Then because the middle is completely seperate from the switch you can blend with the neck and bridge together. All three pickups on 10 gives you a sweet sustaining sound with nice singing overtones. It’s quite unique and I’m extremely pleased that Epiphone wired it exactly like the Gibson.

Would have been a shame if they had three pickups just to look like Framptons and not work like his.

The drawback is hum with everything off on the guitar stand. A Hush unit seems mandatory with it when not in use or switched off with a footswitch.

Fine when playing, no humming. It’s an odd wiring schematic. The Gibson is the same way.

It’s really great sounding. Sounds like no other three pickup guitars I have.

A8741E12-C085-49F8-A7DF-295929EB9D5F.jpeg C9B4DC06-499F-4F7A-85B4-8365254ABA6E.jpeg 51C06D10-55BA-4190-8A42-0A914132AD59.jpeg A997B6F7-67FF-4A81-8277-F2EE2FE4FFF3.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  17. BKS

BKS Senior Member

As i have two i might do both options.
    Both should have the same pickups even tho they sound different. The ugly unsung sounds better than the little older saein limited edition. Might put the newer epiphone pickups in both...

18. Les Paul John

Yes! The newer Probucker pickups are excellent!

BKS likes this.
  19. BKS

BKS Senior Member

Alnico classic or probucker ...?
    See both for sale on aliexpress, would these be genuine ? Cost about 35€ for a complete set...

20. Les Paul John

Both! I’m not sure about genuine but do know that their counterfeit guitars more often than not have Epiphone stamped in the plate under the pickup .... I know because I have two. More than likely they’re actual Epiphone made in Korea pickups used in a Epiphones.

The Epiphone parts made in Korea end up in China for the Epiphone factory in Epiphone guitars.

It’s pretty shameful how China exploits Epiphone.