NGD - 2017 LTD Les Paul Custom, Holy Cow!

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by PierM, Sep 26, 2017.

1. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Ok, this happened almost randomly, after months trying to buy an ES Les Paul...and failing miserably, multiple times...so I gave up on that, and stumbled upon this Custom; I already have 2 Custom Light, and a Custom 2014, which is collecting dust in its case because I never managed to like it....but really, another Custom wasn't on my plans....

...but then this one, holy cow, it's just a stellar build! I didn't manage to resist, and I bought it instantly! I'm sick badly...I know! :applause:

It's the Limited Edition (300 worldwide) the Custom Shop did, with 1 single piece body with no wheight relief (9.9Lbs of goodness!), long tenon, grovers and all typical Black Beauty appointments. On paper sounds pretty much a little step up from the regular customs, but the difference with my other Custom is embarrassing in almost all aspects.

Finish it's just perfection. Did a full check under black light, I didn't manage to find a single flaw. It's so perfect that looks made in Japan LOL! Neck is a bit fatter and rounder than my 2014, like a gentle 59 profile, beautiful carve. Neck joint angle seems around 4°, very comfortable. Richlite it's finally looking as it should, like my Godin. Not greysh and spotted, like my 2014, but very dark, uniform and smooth like ice. Looks they are now buffing the Richlite so that it does feel very natural. I still prefer Ebony, but this one it's seriously looking good and properly finished. I can't honestly feel a difference with the Ebony board I have in my '87 Custom L.

The most interesting feature are the frets! They are kinda Fretless Wonder, with just a tad more profile, but they are not really the typical fret I have on the other Custom. I like these frets quite A LOT!

Binding is perfectly rolled and nibs are perfect, no snap, no traps. Nut probably a bit conservative, but I'll be fine tuning with my final setup. Action is crazy low, with bridge almost bottom down, and still no buzz. I'll be raising a bit to match my preference. Relief it's just perfect out of the box, with a good 004". Intonation it's pretty much spot on, but I'll be checking again when the neck will stabilize for his new house. Tone is the one I do recognize, very rich and articulate, despite the muddy pups (that I love btw). For some reason this one has much more bite than the other Custom with same pups, so I want to check the wiring to understand more. It's pretty different in this aspect, than other 490/498 combos I do have. Sustain for a month, even with these flat frets. Again, stellar instrument. Here we go with the pictures! :hyper:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

NJDevil, Pop1655, Lloyd_m and 44 others like this.
  2. ChrissDR

ChrissDR Senior Member

HNGD! VERY NICE SCORE, and good photos!!! :jam:

PierM likes this.
  3. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

Damn that`s fcuking beautiful :thumb:

Congrats and HNGD :applause:

4. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

WOW!!! That is a BEAUTIFUL guit. CONGRATS and enjoy the heck out of it :)

PierM likes this.
  5. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

A :drool:worthy LPC if ever there was one! Con-freakin-gratulaions!!!!! :D

There is just something about an Ebony LP that is just so right! :D

HNGD!!!!!! :cheers:

jestremera and PierM like this.
  6. Gibsonrocknroll

Gibsonrocknroll Senior Member

Beautiful congrats.

PierM likes this.
  7. DarrellV

DarrellV Likes > Posts Silver Supporter Premium Member

WOW! :wow: Great score Pier!:cheers:

Sorry to hear about the ES strike-out... I was following that topic the day you bought it, or tried to....:facepalm:

Time to sell the dust bunny in the case to make room for this...

mudface and PierM like this.
  8. HearHear

HearHear Senior Member

Great looking guitar !!!!

Here's my dumb question of the day- is there an "official" Black Beauty Les Paul model, or is the official name "Ebony" and people just use "Black Beauty" as a nickname?

w.izzy and PierM like this.
  9. filtersweep

filtersweep Senior Member

Nice photography. I can almost smell it through my phone.

How does the tone compare to your Custom Lites? I have a great specimen of a Lite, but struggle with the tone. I've tried all the noninvasive tricks.

PierM likes this.
  10. mrfett

mrfett HJ Lover Premium Member

:drool:

PierM likes this.
  11. JonCanfield

JonCanfield Platinum Supporter Premium Member

Beautiful! HNGD!!

PierM likes this.
  12. PierM

PierM Premium Member

This specific model, and I'm not yet sure why that, has WAY more bite than the Custom Lite, but also than the other Custom 2014. The Custom Lite 2016, the Custom 2014 and this 2017, all share same pups, all same modern wiring. The Lite it's VERY similar to the 2014, just a tad brigther, but same tone and headroom, same reactions to tone/volume combos. Honestly I could not tell the difference in a record, maybe just the neck pup clean tone..but really it's small difference. This 2017 seems it's a different beast. Much more aggressive, bite and crunch are in the pick after 6/7 volume, huge headroom, but this one has to stay around and under 5 for volume (at the same pickup/string distance) to get a clean dynamic tone, instead under 7/8 for the other Customs. This one does have more bass and creamy mids and sounds more similar to my 87 with T. Shaw pups, which it's kind of crazy LOL.
    Not sure why, but this sounds more like a PAF and at this point I want to check if these pups are really same combo I have for the others. Tone monster btw, I just have to manage that bite which I'm not used to, since I do play mostly clean.

Said that, I do love my 2016 Custom Lite tone. Maybe you just don't like those pups.

13. jktxs

jktxs Junior Member

Sweet axe! Congrats!
    The kidney Grovers look the best on customs imo

Doesn't Gibson use the same fretwire (Jescar FW45100) on all custom shop Les Pauls?

PierM likes this.
  14. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Yes, the fret looks like the typical Jescar, but they are flatter and lower at the peak, so seems they removed more profile from the top.

15. filtersweep

filtersweep Senior Member

Thanks for the reply- still sorting out my feelings toward this guitar. I purchased it used--- stupidly cheap. It felt too good to be true.... a local seller at a stupidly low price. The guy lived a few minutes from me. He was a former music store employee- a bass player. He never played it. He sold it to someone who never picked it up-- had shipped it, and it was returned to him-- through our version of Craigslist-- which has a built in escrow thing. So he was thrilled to have a local buyer and just wanted to get rid of it. I dropped everything and sped over to buy it (for what a used Studio would normally cost).

But I haven't used it much because it sounds so dark. It plays very nicely-- but compared to my other double HB guitars, it is very dark and different- albeit less noisy, and tighter. The other night I played it and was excited by the brighter tone--- then realized the coil splitting was on. :doh:

But I have no point of reference. My other LP has P90s-- and sounds like heaven-- in its own right. But maybe working the volume will help. Part of me wants a proper Custom, but I don't want to be in the same boat I am now. Of course there are pickup swaps, but these are the standard PUs for this guitar.

PierM likes this.
  16. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Hmmm... I think you just don't like the pups, because for sure they are not bright LOL, and for sure not bright as a P90. I would try to kill the coil split and move to 50 wiring to save some treble...but I know this sounds an extreme solution. Well, if you like the guitar, and you have a reference humbucker, you indeed could swap them... You should have a PCB, so you could for example buy a set of BBs Pro if you like those, they are for sure brighter and less muddy than 490/498 combo. Problem is the coil split...but honestly I would instantly move to a 4 matched pots scheme, either modern or 50' wiring. Having two separate tones it's a core feature of a Les Paul tone, imho. I wouldn't abandone that guitar just for the pups...:)

filtersweep likes this.
  17. Bemis

Bemis Senior Member

Pure sexy. Wow! :wow:

PierM likes this.
  18. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

Why is the paint not glossy?

Blue Blood likes this.
  19. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Uh? It's mirror gloss. It's just depends on how your lens are polarizing the light, so that you can see through the coat and spot the grain, but that is under the buffed glossy coat. With a different light it's just showing the gloss, smooth as ice;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Who and Jer like this.
  20. Figo

Figo Member

Dream Guitar!!!!!

PierM likes this.