NGD 2016 Standard T

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by DizzyOrchard, Jan 13, 2018.

What would you do with the guitar?

1. Keep it and love as your own child.

23 vote(s)
    88.5%
  2. Return it and post many hateful comments on every Gibson related youtube video.

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. I don't even like Les Pauls.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Something else, specify in the comments.

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. DizzyOrchard

DizzyOrchard Junior Member

Hello, everyone.

Hope you are doing well. I know that i am, because, just few days ago i finally fulfilled a dream of mine. A dream that i had for almost 10 years. That's right, i bought a Gibson Les Paul. A Gibson Les Paul Standard T 2016 in beautiful Translucent Amber finish.
    In short, I bought it from Thomann, which is a large and well respected online music store here in Europe. I've been browsing and comparing prices for a very long time, was looking at the 2018 Traditional for some time, but then this one popped up for a good price so i decided just to go and get it. I am very satisfied with everything, guitar looks and feels very good. But i guess there are a few minor flaws about which i'd like to hear your opinions about.

IMG_20180113_013338.jpg
    Here's just the general view. I wish i had a proper camera, cause the top is insane. But i'm sure we all understand that already.

IMG_20180113_013304.jpg
    A bit closer look.

IMG_20180113_013427.jpg
    So here's my first and the biggest question. We can clearly see a shim nut. It feels rock solid and i see no other issues than purely visual. Of course for an instrument of this price, caliber and heritage you'd expect something cleaner. I've heard about this before, but what do you think?

IMG_20180113_013517.jpg
    Few more angles.

IMG_20180113_013448.jpg
    I do believe that this is from the factory, because Thomann is always informing about things like that. And guitar came to me without the slightest scratch or sign of use.

IMG_20180113_013733.jpg
    Not a perfet fit of the pickup frame.

IMG_20180113_013647.jpg
    Would you call that a finishing flaw? Visible in some spots around the binding. I mean the slight discoloring where the binding ends and maple starts. A little of this is also found on the mahogany parts around body and neck.

IMG_20180113_025150.jpg
    That's just the excess wax. Right?

IMG_20180113_025232.jpg
    Slight misplacement of the toggle cover? (little gap visible)

IMG_20180113_025244.jpg
    The same thing for pot cavity.

IMG_20180113_025326.jpg
    Now i don't understand and don't know what to think about this. I'm talking about that stuff above the tailpiece posts. I guess that's just the finish, but why is it above the post. We all know that posts are installed after the work on guitars finish. I checked it with a small srewdriver, it feels soft, but i am afraid to peel it off. I think it might catch some of the real finish too.

IMG_20180113_025404.jpg
    IMG_20180113_025427.jpg
    Few more angles.

Now, what do you think? Am i splitting hairs? Or, maybe, you would even return the guitar? As i said earlier i'm very satisfied with everything, but then again, i honestly do not have any real experience with guitars of this caliber.
    Also the fretboard feels a little dry, but that's understandable, since guitar was made in 2016 and i just got it now in 2018. No one has touched it for two years. Don't have any lemon oil now, but will get one soon, so that's an easy fix. Nibs and inlays, which seems to be the usual QC problem seems perfect to me.
    And yes, the smell. Strong vanilla scent. I hate vanilla. Would prefer chocolate or strawberries, or anything else really. So that's easily the worst part about this guitar and case.

Thank you so much for your time, atention and answers in advance.

And i do apologize if you all have already gone through these type of posts a million times. I'm just desperate for any kind of human contact.

Have a nice day.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  2. syrinx

syrinx Senior Member

I think it looks great, and if it plays great keep it. That being said when I get a new guitar- I give it a rough lookover-make sure everything is straight, no headstock issue etc-but I really dont look much at finish etc. I know I am going to ding it up anyway as I bought it to use not as an investment. The nut would bug me perhaps- but if otherwise the guitar is great-its easily sorted out and perhaps they would offer a replacement nut or partial refund to purchase one.

DizzyOrchard likes this.
  3. shupe13

shupe13 Senior Member

Beautiful guitar, congrats! I top wrap so I wouldn’t think twice about the finish directly below the posts. I will agree, for the price, Gibson guitars should be flawless. The nut... they more often than not need recutting or simply replaced with a better material anyway. Ask for a new nut and keep the Lester.

DizzyOrchard likes this.
  4. endial

endial Senior Member

Minor, minor issues in my book, although the nut thing would bother me the slightest bit. If it's playing okay then what the heck?
    Beautiful guitar!

DizzyOrchard likes this.
  5. northernbreed

northernbreed Senior Member

The nut is a hack job. The rest is fine. Plenty of great LPs out there to choose from - no need to buy a mistake.

edselman and DizzyOrchard like this.
  6. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

Welcome to the Forum!

Nice guitar!
    It's a little bothersome when we buy a high (for us!) price guitar and it's not perfect.
    But in this non-perfect world, that guitar is fine.
    The most important thing is "How do YOU feel with it?"
    If it's just a little concern because of the price and expectation, you'll be fine with that guitar.
    If it feels good when you play it, if the tone is good, keep it!
    No guitar at that price (unfortunately) is perfect.
    By the way, I have a nut thing too on my '62RI Strat. It has never had any effect on the guitar.

Let us know what you decide!
    :thumb:

7. laterider

laterider Senior Member

HNGD!!! That one has a spectacular top. How does it feel and sound? If that's good you are in. I don't see an issue with the nut, what I see is the lacquer over the nut like all the other Gibson, where the lacquer stops is usually about the same on each but so many call that an imperfection. Its just what you have with a Gibson. Those studs are installed before the finish is applied and they do seem to miss cleaning that area out. Don't poke at it there, if you don't like it, remove the tailpiece studs during a string change and use an xacto knife to score/cut that finish at the edge and remove it. For me, I never get in there and do it, too much time spent not playing an already perfect guitar. For the looker you have, if it plays/sounds great, I really see nothing wrong but a lot right with that. Just my $.02. Enjoy the new guitar!!!

Hope, endial and DizzyOrchard like this.
  8. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

Geez, I don’t know what is is we are supposed to be looking at regarding the nut. Sorry.

The rest of the stuff you listed is totally and completely normal.

The pickup ring is just a piece of plastic screwed onto the wood by 4 little screws. You can try just tightening that one screw if you want, but you will find virtually ever other LP out there with similar rings.

All the binding on LPs is hand-scraped, all you are seeing there is where someone got a little onboard with their scraping tool. Just the nature of a hand-done manual process I’m afraid. Can probably find similar scraping variances on many LPs.

Yes, that is just leftover buffing compound on the back of the headstock.

Backplates are rarely, if ever, perfectly centered. At least none of mine are.

The leftover finish on the tailpiece posts is on virtually every Gibson USA LP I have ever seen. It was on all of mine—my oldest being a 2007 (I just trim it off carefully with a small, sharp pocket knife (razor would work too)).

Again, I’m not sure what I am supposed to be looking at on the nut, but the rest of the stuff you are totally nitpicking on. Your guitar is completely within the orthodoxy of how modern Gibson USA LPs are made (aside from the nut, which again I’m not sure what I’m supposed to be looking at)

I don’t mean this to be a smart alleck, I promise (i.e., just trying to help)...but if these things bother you, you really should give up your dream of owning an LP. Because they are all pretty much like this these days (or buy a used one so you don’t care if it’s “imperfect”). Or, just enjoy you new LP. :D

9. Christosterone

Christosterone Premium Member

That guitar is bananas....

But it’s your call...

I buy “new” headstock repairs often so am not too picky if I can get a good deal from a box store when they drop them...

The nut is easily replaced if it bugs u down the road...

That is a gorgeous guitar...

But it’s your first...so if it doesn’t feel right, swap it out..

Les Paul’s are like relationships...you know from the get go if it’s going to work...if u have massive red flags then get the right one...without hesitation I would swap it out if it bugs you...

Personally I love it but I’m not the owner

-Chris

10. DizzyOrchard

Yeh, in the pictures i provided it is not that well visible. I'm not sure if this is any better, but from the side or the players point of view, the nut looks like this.
    Untitled.png
    Two pieces ( have no idea how to call those shapes, strong ESL here ) glued together. As i said, it feels rock solid, not sure why would they do this though. Not the coolest looking thing in the world, but it does the job. Also, i guess the nut would not be the longest lasting part of a players instrument. So, sooner or later it would need a change, but for now i guess it works fine. So why bother?

11. DizzyOrchard

Thank you all for your inputs and thoughts, very well apreciated.
    Well, as i said earlier, i'm very satisfied with my purchase. It sounds and looks incredible. I have never been so motivated to actually pick un and play a guitar. Also, i sometimes practice in front of a mirror ( if you haven't tried that you definitely should ) and i think i have never looked so handsome. All thanks to the Lester, of course.
    My plan in terms of what to do with the guitar would be definitely keep it. BUT i do think i will email Thomann, describing my situation and seeing what my options are. Maybe i can pretend to be super offended and unsatisfied by this and get a future discount or something, because i do plan to pick up a new amp in the next few months. One more thing i remember, this guitar came without the original Gibson box. To be honest i do not know if all brand new Gibsons always come with a Gibson box, but this one was in Thomann box and then in a regular smaller box. If that has something to do with anything.

Yeah, i really wish you could see the guitar in person. It's magical. And i can't help myself, but smile uncontrollably and gasp every time i open the case. But i bet you all have experienced that feeling. Another thing, i never thought i'd be so happy with all the push/pull provided options.

Thank you all again.

12. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Old School Premium Member

Congratulations and happy NGD :)
    As others said - apart form the nut it's a fine guitar.

13. Subterfuge

Subterfuge Senior Member

take it to a good shop and have the nut replaced

DizzyOrchard likes this.
  14. Nippon

Nippon You looking at me?

All that suff is normal. Thats Gibson.

Donal, jeffy, DizzyOrchard and 2 others like this.
  15. Shadow Explorer

Shadow Explorer Senior Member

What you see on the nut, is finish over the nut material, I have now idea what else might be wrong. Enjoy your guitar, if it plays well and you like it, there is nothing to worry about! Mine (also 2016) had some minor QC stuff,nut as well, but it's beautiful and sounds great, so I kept her without a second thought!

jeffy, XpensiveWino and DizzyOrchard like this.
  16. Macronaut

Macronaut Silver Supporter

I truly believe that it's a balance of, if the guitar has much more to offer than just aesthetics. If it feels great, sounds great and you bond with it, the degree of imperfections is far easier to overlook. Of course the price is a major part of the equation as a whole.

Many factors dictate what is acceptable in each individual circumstance.

Feedback from others "in the know" is a wise step to making your own, personal decision. If you are willing to settle.......don't settle!!!

In this instance, I'm not completely certain which way I would decide to go.

DizzyOrchard likes this.
  17. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

@Shadow Explorer ... that’s what I am thinking too. I’m not sure what everyone else is reacting to (who did react to the nut)...but all I see if clear finish on the nut like is found to one degree or another on literally every Gibson USA LP I have ever seen!

Here it is on one of my LPs. I have it all all of mine...and have had it on every one I’ve ever owned (approximately 12 IIRC).
    [​IMG]

@DizzyOrchard ... if what you are referring to is indeed what Shadow Explorer and I are referring to, rest assured that’s not a glued together nut (the nut is made of TekToid (which is essentially Corian—the stuff counter tops are made of)... it’s very hardy stuff and will most likely last the the lifetime of the guitar). And they have boxes of these things on the assembly line. Were one to get cracked or broken they’d never bother to try gluing one together. They’d just grab another from the pile of them they have in front of them.

And if it bothers you, just take a sharp knife or razor blade and trim the finish away… it’s soft stuff, easy to remove.

Your guitar (and its nut) is 100% fine (and beautiful)...time to take it out from under the microscope and start playing and enjoying it! :cheers:

18. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

I don't see any issues with your guitar. Replace the nut if it bothers you, some say it sounds better afterwards, and if you buy a Faber ABR-N bridge, you will be able to lower the tailpiece all the way down without the strings touch the back of the bridge.

Donal and DizzyOrchard like this.
  19. Bend'n'Slide

Bend'n'Slide Senior Member

Yep, I’d agree; it looks like a layer of the nitro finish overlying the edges of the nut, rather than two pieces to the nut itself.

My ‘16 Trad was exactly the same. It’s purely aesthetic rather than functional and it’s common to most current Gibsons.

As long as you have a steady hand and a very sharp knife, with relatively delicate pressure it’s not too difficult to carefully cut through the overspray of finish and then the small piece of finish will just peel off from the edges of the nut.

On the other hand, you could easily make it look much worse and annoy yourself in the process. Like all the other things you noticed, it’s not a flaw, it’s just the way these handmade guitars come off the line.

If you like it and you like the way it plays then I’d focus on that, confident in the knowledge that there’s nothing overtly wrong with your new Lester!

DizzyOrchard likes this.
  20. Hanover Fist

Hanover Fist Senior Member

If those very minor "flaws" bother you, then return the guitar and take up a new hobby. Come on--back plates not perfectly centered? A bit of finish under the tailpiece studs? Seriously? I'm surprised you haven't complained about the tuning keys not being perfectly aligned when the guitar is in tune! :run:

If it sounds, feels, and plays good, then just play the darn thing! :jam:

DizzyOrchard likes this.