NGD: 2015 SG Standard Fireburst

Discussion in 'Other Gibsons' started by afireinside, Sep 27, 2017.

1. afireinside

afireinside Senior Member

Ok so my Reverb CME SG came in. Was able to get pictures, look at it and had to run out of the house. 2 pc body. Nice dark burst almost a vintage burst, some of these are too yellow in the middle. Will play it later and decide if its a keeper. Heres pics

Attached Files:

2. Leña_Costoso

Leña_Costoso Senior Member

Slick stuff there!

3. Have FUN

Have FUN Senior Member

Guitaraxe likes this.
  4. Have FUN

Have FUN Senior Member

How do you feel with this 2015 Ltd Edition ?

Did you notice that inlays are made of real Mother of pearl ? Not plastic .

5. afireinside

Yeah i like your color a bit better always wanted a dark walnut color....... (trans ebony) now i have this here the burst is sexy just wish the back was burst not black.......

Well i bought on impulse at $776. Tried to cancel the order 2 days later on Saturday before it shipped but it was already labeled and on a pallet to go out. The emplouee asked if i just tried it and in 30 days they could pay return back. So got it and im in love.

Neck is great same as my 2015 DC i got in August, i dig them definitely more in the Ibanez realm. Min etune has been fine on both good for a quick sit and play. Sounds freaking killer I played a few 2016s Saturday at a local shop and was underwhelmed hence the cancelation email i sent but this one just rips more open and snarly sounding then my 2 LP Traditionals.

I had no idea they had real MOP not plastic but they look a bit more real not fake looking at them. So i may need to find a way to make some quick cash before she realises its on my CC.......

6. afireinside

And the story gets better so CME on reverb has a additional 15% off floor models sale ROCKTOBER (mine was) so i messaged them and they took off another $115 or so off so $650 or so is my total for a smoking SG

Guitaraxe and Telechamp like this.
  7. Telechamp

Telechamp Senior Member

Nice score! That's a real beauty - love the Fireburst finish. Great price, too - especially with the extra discount!

How would you compare the neck on this 2015 SG to the neck on your 2015 DC? About the same - or different in any way?

8. afireinside

Id say same width maybe a hair thinner

9. moreles

moreles Senior Member

I get so sick of boring old "Wine Red" Gibsons that I find a different, classic finish like this really appealing, and think yours looks great. In my experience, Gibson seems to do a really good job with the neck and frets on these less-expensive SGs and Juniors, producing the same level of playability as on their pricier models. I think the value-for-money is excellent -- unusual for Gibson, where you pay a lot just for the name -- and your guitar lok for all intents and purposes like one that could cost twice as much than the deal you got. Does this one have that awful zero fret and Min-Etunes? Easily removed if necessary... Nice guitar!

10. Guitaraxe

Guitaraxe Senior Member

11. Have FUN

Have FUN Senior Member

Upgrade the pickguard with a 5 ply Creamtone, thick and bevels are 60°. This is crazy how this part make the SG very sexy.

The stock knobs are bad imho, I prefer those sold by Philadelphia Luthier Tools, very close to the original version.

I prefer the TUSQ Graph Tech nut, it looks much better and do the job very well.

I upgrade my 2015 SG with a Gibson ABR-1 bridge, historic switch tip and Kluson Revolution tuners.

Creamtone pickguard vs stock pickguard

[​IMG]

12. afireinside

Nice that guard is beefy

13. Have FUN

Have FUN Senior Member

Are you interested ?

Historic switch tip + Custom Shop knurled Switchcraft nut.

[​IMG]

14. Have FUN

Have FUN Senior Member

On my SG Standard Trans Black

[​IMG]