NGD: 2014 Epiphone ES-175 Premium

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by 1all's Pub, Jan 25, 2017.

1. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

If any of you have been following this thread: http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380132 you are probably aware of the killer deal that GC has been offering recently on the Epi ES-175 Premium model. I won't re-hash the whole thread, but in short I took a chance on ordering one of these (figuring it would be a beater floor display model a that I would in all likelihood refuse delivery of and return instantly to the store in which I had it direct shipped--but at such a screaming good price I figured it was worth the risk and the potential let-down).

Anyway, after seeing the amazing price of these ES-175 Premiums, $479 (they list for anywhere from $839 to $999 depending on when/where you see them) I decided to take a chance and try to order one and managed to get the GC website to accept my order for an Ebony one (I originally tried to order one in Vintage Sunburst, but it wouldn't let me despite being listed as in stock... but I digress....). To be honest, I didn't actually expect the order to take (and was a bit surprised when it was accepted) and I didn't really expect them to actually honor the price (it is, after all, about 50% off), and I didn't really expect them to ship me one. And even if they did, as I said above, I expected it to be a beat up display model not worthy of keeping.

At any rate, it arrived today and all those negative expectations went "un-met" when I pulled this pristine little gem outta the box at my local GC. :D
    [​IMG]

At first inspection it looked flawless... nothing like a typical GC floor display model. Played it at the GC store, awesome! Both playing and sounding. She's a keeper! :)

Once home, and in the process of getting her all cleaned up, I did notice a couple of minor (very minor) marks on her backside (the "aged" lacquer--yes lacquer not polyurethane--finish is actually pretty delicate and it's fairly easy to mark up the finish, so the fact that these couple marks on the back were all that it had is testament to just how lucky this particular ES-175 had been hanging on the the wall of whatever GC it'd been at since 2014). Anyway, I oiled the fretboard and put some D'Addario NYXL 10-46s on her and got her intonated (didn't even need a set up, TR was fine, action was perfect... just grand!) and she's purrin' like a kitten! :naughty:

Some specs... neck is quite thin at the 1st fret, but rounded and not flat like many Epi necks. She measures just 0.794" at the 1st, but a whopping 1.665" at the 12th fret!!! This is because the neck meets the body at about the 14th fret and the heel really comes on starting about the 11th fret, so by the time you're measuring the 12th you are well into the heel. Anyway, the neck is actually very nice and playable and the "aged" lacquer has a nice non-sticky feel to it. Pickups are Gibson 57 Classics (both neck & bridge) and let me tell you, this is the format these pickups were meant to be in! Simply outstanding! 57s (& the 57+) have always been among my favorite Gibson pickups, but in a hollow-body like the ES-175 they *really* shine. Weight is wonderful thanks the the hollow-body design too... just 6.26lbs.

And in keeping with my tradition of naming my guitars after famous actresses/pinup girls/sex symbols, I have chosen to call her "Ava", after classic Hollywood beauty Ava Gardner. Here's more eye candy of Ava. ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

paruwi likes this.
  2. Kong

Kong Senior Member

Looks great! Congrats and HNGD, awesome deal.

3. wmachine

wmachine Senior Member

Nice! Glad you made out with yours. I'll be reviewing mine when I can get the time.
    They are really *really* nice! Truly a fine jazz box with enough versatility to go beyond jazz. Compared to the ES-175 market, it is well worth the original $800-$1000 price range. But sub $500 prices make it a real steal.

I agree with you that you "got a good one". As long as one has their expectations in the right place, and the ability to turn down a dog, you can make out just fine. And you covered the bases quite well!!!

Enjoy! I consider this a unique addition to anyone's collection.

4. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

I am definitely in the "beyond jazz" category. :D This will be my George Thorogood and/or Ted Nugent type guitar. No interest in jazz here. ;)

Looking forward to your review. :)

5. elephantrider

elephantrider Senior Member

really nice big body !

6. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

Big Congrats on this great looking 'Fat bottomed Lady'

[​IMG]

This is one of the Epis on my 'Need to buy' list
    sadly we don't ever get similar deals here....
    [​IMG]