NGD: 2014 Edwards E-LP-130ALS

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by bluesriffdev, Sep 27, 2017.

1. bluesriffdev

bluesriffdev Senior Member

NB: I'd like to thank Shinya Nakane at Hirano Gakki Rockin (http://en.rockin.co.jp/shop/ and nakane@rockin.co.jp) for his help in getting me this absolute monster of a guitar. He got the guitar shipped quickly and used so much packing pellets and newspaper to keep it safe - there's not a scratch or ding on it, and there's even still plastic sheeting and the original sticker price on the parts. This guitar feels more like NOS rather than used.

Hi all! Just bought my first Edwards and isn't she a beauty. Edwards E-LP-130ALS in Honey Sunburst, made (or at least serialed) on July 19th, 2014. On 2013 and earlier models, these are known as the E-LP-125ALS. It arrived at my office yesterday and I eagerly awaited to plug it in. I bought a hardcase for it to ship in but I regret doing so - after seeing the padded Tokai softcase it also came with and how well Shinya packed it, I know in future that my guitars will be in safe hands, even in a softcase!

It plays like an absolute dream with the stock SH-55 pickups. I originally thought I'd take the pickguard and poker chip off but I quite like the way it looks on this particular colour and top - tell me what you think. I was thinking that the truss rod cover would bother me and that I'd need to custom-cut a 1-screw bell shaped TRC but it doesn't even catch my attention in person. Some things I've noticed:
    • Much lighter than my dad's 2011 Gibson Les Paul Classic 1960, which I knew it would be going in. I didn't think it was that light til I compared them - easily 1-2 pounds difference.
    • The fret inlays are reallllllyyy white. They are plastic but they do have a bit of pearl to them, not bad, just never seen a Les Paul with such white inlays. See attachment #5
    • The body binding is slightly thinner on the Edwards. I don't have a historic or original les paul (I wish!) to compare it to, so I don't know whether the Gibson or Edwards is more historically accurate there.
    • The headstock veneer is quite thick. Either that or they've painted a thin rim around the side of the headstock. Not a problem, just something that immediately sturck me. See attachment #4
    • The neck shape is superb. I've heard these are a 59 profile and "aren't that thick" but I reckon they're thick and just perfect for me. If it is a 59, there must be a massive drop to the 1960 Les Paul shape that I'm familiar with on my dad's Les Paul!
    All things that don't bother me, but just interesting to see. Here's a photo of my Edwards and Dad's 2011 Les Paul Classic 1960 side by side for reference:
    [​IMG]

I love the colour. I did love the look of the Tobacco Sunburst and Lemon Drop on the 135ALS/ RE (on pre-2014 models, the 130ALS/ RE), but the relic jobs on those really didn't tickle my fancy. I think I've converted my dad to MIJ - he's scratching his head about how he paid 3x the price for a guitar about half as good.

Attached are the professional photos taken from Hirano Gakki's site.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    LTigh, Wolf ^_^, Who and 2 others like this.
  2. currypowder

currypowder Senior Member

Very nice.

It's been a couple of years, but I purchased several guitars from Rockin and dealt with Shinya. He was great to work with. I'm glad to hear that he's bulked up his packing. One guitar he sent me was basically the guitar in it's hardcase in a box, no packing material at all. It arrived safely, so no harm done. I did discuss it with him constructively and he took the comments to heart.

bluesriffdev likes this.
  3. bluesriffdev

Here's a shot of the control cavity for those who are interested in that sort of thing:

[​IMG]

Odd that it's black underneath there; look at the shot of the same cavity on the Edwards website: https://espguitars.co.jp/edwards/lp/E-LP-130ALS.html . It's still all correct wiring with CTS pots, .022 caps, with a weird mix of thinly and thickly insulated wiring, with braided wiring on the caps (obviously the pickups from Seymour Duncan are braided by default).

SingeMonkey likes this.
  4. purpledc

purpledc Senior Member

Very nice. You bought a killer guitar. I really like the burst on yours. Hope you don't mind me sharing mine. This is what they look like with the darker cherry burst finish. I cant remember what they called it. But its not the tobacco burst. This is that one I mentioned in another thread with the solid top. Its not a very intense flame. It takes the right angle to get it to look like the picture but its intense when you catch it just right. And almost non existent at some angles so its quite a dramatic shift.

P1050184.JPG

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    Olds442 and bluesriffdev like this.
  5. 21stcsm

21stcsm Senior Member

bluesriffdev likes this.
  6. bluesriffdev

Haha, I checked the edwards website and it's literally called 'Dark Cherry Sunburst'. Looks beautiful. I loved the Tobacco Burst and Lemon Drop finishes on the E-LP-135ALS but the relicing and fake-looking yellow binding really turned me off. I'll let you know whether I've got a flame top too at my next string change; I've had my suspicions.
    Beautiful guitar. I'd love a Cherry Sunburst or Dark Cherry Sunburst and it's the finish I wanted to get. In actuality I just picked the retailer that would actually ship to me with all this CITES stuff, but in hindsight I think I made the right decision going for Honey Sunburst, especially when sitting mine next to my dad's USA Classic - this thing looks even better in person. I think the CSB finish on yours actually looks more historically accurate on yours than on his, but I guess Gibson purposely do that on the USA models to give more reasons to make people buy the Historic models.

Just noticed that yours is a 2015 model beginning in a week starting with 1 (so at least march) - I didn't realise they kept making the ALS models that far; I know they are still making Les Pauls but I thought they discontinued the 130 and 135ALS in late 2014. Interesting pots in yours - ESP branded rather than CTS; I've seen some other CTS pots like this that are branded rather than with the dot in the middle so it'd be interesting to see if they are still speced the same.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  7. currypowder

currypowder Senior Member

I wanted to ask you about that. Did Rockin' obtain an export certificate to comply with CITES, or did they just box it up and ship it?

8. purpledc

purpledc Senior Member

I was surprised the first time I opened mine up too. I have the black shielding paint as well. I don't mind though, with unspotted seth lovers ill take shielding any place I can get it. They sure put a lot of effort into the wiring harness on these things.

bluesriffdev likes this.
  9. loke

loke Junior Member

Great looking guitar. I got a 130ALS RE. Mine got the Antiquity pickups. I tested a bunch of LP guitars 4 years ago and the one I picked was the Edwards. I also bought a Gibson Goldtop Standard 2013 just after buying my Edwards, but that one I sold after 1 month. I usually tell people that I kept the Edwards not because it was better, but because I liked it better. They sure were different in feel and sound. So again, not better but different and I kept the Edwards. If I had the money and the space I would have kept them both as I regard 2013 to be a pretty decent year (aka vintage) for Gibson.

bluesriffdev likes this.
  10. bluesriffdev

Yeah I love the Edwards. I think they feel a bit different to a historic, but are fantastic guitars in their own right. Something I can't quite put my finger on. It has most of the same specs and features as a historic, and better pickups, so I really don't know why... Maybe it's the Philippines Mahogany... but I've never been a tonewood nutter that could tell the difference between Mahogany types, so who knows. I doubt anyone listening would tell the difference but it just feels sorta... different?

I like the 2013 range of Historics and it'd probably be the year I'd buy if I were to buy a Gibson. But if I had the money for a Gibson Historic I'd just go and get a luthier to make me one. I'd like to try the antiquities. Have you compared them to the sh-55s? I've heard they seem to have a slightly lower output, which I think I'd prefer. I know the sh-55s are lower output than the rest of their range, but I'd like to go lower; I play with the knobs turned to 7-8 max typically. I'm thinking of trying the Zhangbucker T-top replicas on my DG335 build for a more acoustic sound.

11. bluesriffdev

I'm so sorry for not replying to your post. I must have skipped past it when replying earlier. Need to turn on thread reply notifications.

Anyway, Rockin didn't get a CITES certificate. Shinya said that he'd shipped countless times without them this year without any issues. Ultimately you're still taking a risk, but Hirano Gakki Rockin is a relatively big retailer and I trusted their judgement. The Japanese aren't that pushy with selling things and they tend to err on the side of caution and don't hesitate to let you know about any of the negatives of a product. I actually asked the bigger retailers (Ishibashi, Ikebe Gakki) when I was looking at first and I even offered to pay more and wait longer for the CITES certification, but they said to me that the problem is actually that the Japanese government isn't accepting their applications at all.

Australian Customs are notoriously bureaucratic and asshole-ish so I figure if you can get it through our customs, you'd probably have no trouble anywhere else.

currypowder likes this.
  12. loke

loke Junior Member

No. I got a few different humbuckers but I've never tried sh-55s. Most of my humbuckers are higher output ones that distorts earlier (e.g Dirty Fingers, or JBs), but now I am getting used to and appreciate lower output ones, especially the clarity (almost tele single coil like), and a proper overdrive pedal for leads.

bluesriffdev likes this.
  13. Lesterdelphia

Lesterdelphia Member

Congrats on your new Edwards 130ALS. I also have a 130ALS but also in the Dark Cherry 'burst. Pretty much the top of the line Edwards non-Navigator LP. It appears Edwards/ESP is no longer making this model so a very good catch.

bluesriffdev likes this.
  14. bluesriffdev

They are making them, but it's a much limited line. The ALS and ALC series have been chopped. There's really only the 130CD and 125SD which are the highest models, but with poly finish, and the lower E-LPS and E-LPC which are at the same price range of the LPS-98s and come with gotoh hardware and no duncan pickups. I love my Edwards, there's no way I'm getting rid of this thing.