NGD 2010 R8 Bourbon Burst! Thanks to brettk7!!!

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by 68Charger, Mar 29, 2011.

1. 68Charger

68Charger Senior Member

Hey guys,

After so many years of reading the forum and battling GAS, I must say that I finally gave into temptation.

This is my first historic and frankly, it is the most I have ever spent on a piece of equipment. After working in a music store for a few years I always shopped the used market, or built partscasters and the like...

However, I could not get the feel and beautiful craftsmanship of the R8 out of my head. I have been saving up for the past year and a half to finally snag one, but with the vintage market slumped at the moment, I contemplated my options.

Hell, since I already had a USA SG Standard and a custom Thinline Tele, I thought about trying something different and perhaps get a Rick or something or the like, but that R8 kept creeping back into my consciousness whispering, "You know you want me." :naughty:

So I finally decided to give our forum brother, brettk7 a call up at Eddies. I must say, I always thought he was an awesome guy, but the amount of effort he put into finding me the "perfect one" made all the difference in the world. He took the time to answer all of my questions and even handpicked two R8s from his stock that met my criteria and even gave me an incredible price that I wouldn't pass up in a million years.

I will let the pictures do the talking here...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are the pics Brett sent me, but I feel that they truly capture the look of this guitar. After-all, once I saw these pics, I knew I that this was my guitar. I guess its really true that some really do pick us.

I received the guitar last week, but in between grad school and two jobs, I really haven't been able to really sit down and put her through her paces until last night.

I must say, I can only compare 6 or so pre-2009 spec R8s to her, but I must say Gibson knocked this one out of the park! My SG has been modified with an RS harness and WB '57 Wire H A Bs, but the stock electronics in this baby are very nice!

The taper of the pots is so close to the RS stuff that I really don't feel a need to replace them, but I do have the very last set of WB BB Customs waiting in the wings. :dude: Now I must say, the Burstbuckers sounds pretty damn good. The bridge pickup is very airy and has a great character reminiscent of a great tele bridge pickup, but when compared to the WBs, they simply fall short in the clarity department.

Acoustically, the guitar is LOUD! I usually can judge a good guitar by strumming a few open chords and when I hit the 'E' on this one, it just lit up like a Christmas tree. This thing almost resonates better than my dad's old Martin. The tone is very fat, yet very balanced just the way I like them.

The neck is super comfy. It reminds me of a late 50's Junior I played at the shop I worked at. Rounded shoulders, yet fat enough to fill my large hands. The set-up and finish were superb right out of the box, but I did clean off the VOS gunk with some Virtuoso.

Overall, I think I will really try to leave this one alone as far as mods go. However, I did pick up a set of Retrospec Inlays since the stock ones bug me, and while I was able to snag Kim's inlays super cheap on ebay this past weekend...I thought what the hell? But I am trying to draw the line for changing out the plastic. The guard looks great, but the rings do have a tinge of Barbie to them. Gil's rings look mighty tasty right now, but it seems as if he may be sold out.

I had planned on swapping out the caps, pups, and studs, but I think after the inlays I will have to see how she grows on me over time. It was really nice to finally snag a guitar that I didn't strip down and start from scratch on, but then again, after spending that kind of cash on this baby, I really hope that wouldn't be the case.

So, if any of you guys have an untreatable case of GAS, I highly recommend giving Brett a call because he will treat you with care, and total class. Thanks bud! I owe you one! :beer:

mojotop, nwobhm, Tim Plains and 2 others like this.
  2. capthowdy

capthowdy Senior Member

Gawd, that looks really sweet - I think Bourbon Burst is my favourite finish. Happy days for you:applause:

3. ACELUEK

ACELUEK ACE FREHLEY'S BASTARD SON Premium Member

Awesome guitar! Brett is a great guy..

4. Dave1968

Dave1968 Senior Member

HNGD! Looks a beauty! Most of all, sounds like you deserve it too!!:applause::applause::applause:

5. swleary

swleary Senior Member

that is sweet...sooo jealous

6. KenG

KenG Senior Member

All these beautiful R8's are making me want one bad! I'm totally torn between an R7 GT and a nice Gloss Plain Top R8. While I like the bigger necks I'm not sure how the R7 will feel and wonder if the R8 is a little more manageable?
    Very nice score there - Congrats and happy playing.

7. Chef Greg

Chef Greg Senior Member

Excellent colour!!

8. 68Charger

68Charger Senior Member

Thanks guys! She is quite the beauty. Initially I was torn between getting a faded tobacco, or the bourbon burst, but the pictures made the decision for me. :D

I just wish May will come a little quicker so I can have more time to play her. Never would I have thought that school would cut so much into my playing time lol!

KenG, I had looked at a couple 2005-2007 R7s and while I enjoyed the necks on those, the post '09 necks are so much more comfortable. From the moment I pulled it out of the case, it felt like this guitar was an old friend. The partscaster thinline I have is sporting a Warmoth Boatneck in which I had rolled the shoulders and fretboard on to make it more comfortable, but this neck profile is a million times better.

But I have to say, if it weren't for Brett, I probably would not have been able to get this guitar. He is a stand-up guy and loves Subarus, so he is A-OK in my book! ;)

9. Username1

Username1 Senior Member

Sweet guitar, i know what you mean about the photos, that's how i felt when he sent me pics of my beano.

Brett is a class act, really knows his gear and how to make his customers happy

10. brettk7

brettk7 MLP Sponsor

Ken,

The necks are virtually the same. I've got a rare bird in stock, a 60' GT. Which might be up your alley.

If you like a chunkier neck and you are in the market, let me know. I can sort through the bunch and find you an R7 or R8 with a thinner neck. They come around more than one might think!

Your damn right I love Subarus!!! I can't get enough of my WRX!!!

Thanks for the business first and foremost, it was nice to deal with somebody that I consider a cool person on a personal level. I'm glad you love it, I would of been extremely dissapointed if it was ANY other way.

Also glad to see you are digging it right out of the box! Can't beat that! I really do love the burst on your guitar, simply gorgeous. All the colors in Bourbon Burst are well represented on your guitar.

Thanks so much! How is the old Bean doing?

Thank you all so much for the kind words. I've been at Eddie's for two and a half years, and I swear... If it weren't for the people and the threads like this, I'd probably be an incredibly disgruntled employee by this time in the game! Rock on everybody.

11. DingoMango

DingoMango Junior Member

Looks really good. Is that iced tea burst?

12. Username1

Username1 Senior Member

It's great, i play it every day, tone to die for, the neck is immaculate.

By the way how much for the 60 GT, can you pm the price?

13. rideski

rideski Senior Member

That last picture is awesome! Congrats on your new axe.

+1 on the customer service from Brett!

14. Louie

Louie Senior Member

:hmm:

L60N and Happy Grumpz like this.
  15. kjwolfer

kjwolfer Senior Member

Nice R8! And way to go again Brett

16. calvin1

calvin1 Senior Member

hngd shes a real beauty

17. cryptozoo

cryptozoo Senior Member

Great color and grain figure on this one!

18. brettk7

brettk7 MLP Sponsor

I don't have prices on it yet... But, I can have it for you real quick.

Shoot me an e-mail just had some pics taken!

Thanks man!

Thank you! :)

19. 68Charger

68Charger Senior Member

I absolutely love this color. The more I sit down with it, I am amazed at how much the top changes depending upon the lighting conditions of the room. Very 3D.

Brett, the only thing that makes this baby better, is the fact that I was able to buy it from a friend! ;)

20. Kinetic

Kinetic Senior Member

looks awesome!