NGD: 2006 SG Custom G-400 Ebony Review

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by mr70ss, Apr 12, 2017.

1. mr70ss

mr70ss Member

About 6 months ago I purchased a 2005 Epiphone Les Paul custom plus 3, which was my first 3 pickup guitar. It was all stock, and sounded good, but not great.. I installed new CTS 500k pro pots, a new orange drop cap, Seymour Duncan distortion (b) (bridge), JB (b) (middle), and Jazz (n) (neck) pickups, and a freeway 6 pos. switch. Now it is my go to guitar. The more I play it the more I just fall in love with the blend of two bridge pu's set next to each other. So of course I wanted to see if I could recreate the magic with a different guitar. So I happen to run across this beauty online and had to give it a try. Is a 2006 Les Paul Custom SG G-400 made in Korea. Most of these models come in antique white (ivory), but were also made in ebony and alpine white. I've never owned or even played an SG so this should be fun..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And my Epiphone wall of customs
    [​IMG]

jeff_farkas and paruwi like this.
  2. mr70ss

mr70ss Member

I got to plug in and play it last night and like my first 3pu guitar it sounds good but not great (to me). As I stated I've grown to love the blend of 2 bridge pickup's next to each other, and like just about every 3 pu guitar it came with 2 neck pu's, and 1 bridge pu. I did open it up and the electronics are all stock. The neck feels wonderful to me, as it is the same 60's slim taper as my LPC's. It feels good in the hands and holds tune pretty well. Before I purchased this guitar i read that SG's are very prone to neck dive, so I also ordered a wide strap and it solved that issue. All in all a very fun guitar, but now I think it's time to do some research on pickups for sg's.

3. Kong

Kong Senior Member

How does the neck joint feel? I had one of these 3 pickup SGs and the neck joint was very unstable. It felt rubbery and If I put the slightest tension (pushing or pulling) on the neck it would react like a tremolo. A slight push and the strings would be laying on the frets. It was basically unplayable. I was always curious if it was a common issue.

4. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

Congrats on your newest Epi

:applause::applause::applause:

I like the 'Black Custom Style'
    :thumb:

5. mr70ss

mr70ss Member

You know i didn't notice it at all, I just went down and played for a bit and it feels pretty solid. Don't get me wrong I can get it to go out of tune but not without trying to do so. That's a bummer about yours, do you by chance remember if it was a Korea or China made guitar?

6. mr70ss

mr70ss Member

Well after playing it last night for about 3 hours off and on, I've decided that it's worth putting some money into it. I just placed an order for three Seymour Duncan pickups (black with gold poles), cts 295 series 500k pots, switch craft jack and 3 way switch. I may also upgrade the bridge and tail piece, but will do that at a later time.

7. mr70ss

mr70ss Member

So I started working getting the old electronics pulled out last night, and happen to take some pics...

Here is the stock wiring harness
    [​IMG]

Got it all cleared out and ready
    [​IMG]

Next removed the pu's, bridge, tail piece, and pick guard's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Applied a fresh coat of wax
    [​IMG]

Here is a sneak peek at what it's going to look like. The new pu screws are to long so I need to cut them down a bit to get them to fit in the pu cavity with out bottoming out.
    [​IMG]

8. Kong

Kong Senior Member

Mine was an '09 made in China. Yours is looking pretty great so far, nice mods!:thumb:

9. mr70ss

mr70ss Member

Thanks, I'm still waiting on the pots to be delivered. I did order up a new Gotoh bridge and tail piece and they should be here tomorrow. So i'm hoping the pots get here soon so I can get it wired up this weekend. I can't wait to hear this baby sing...

10. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

Which Duncans did you end up with?

11. mr70ss

mr70ss Member

I'm going to start with a distortion-b (bridge), JB-b (middle), Jazz-n (neck). It's the same set that I put in my LP. I may love it or I may not, but it's at least a starting point I know.

12. mr70ss

mr70ss Member

Well I got it all done and man is it a player, I'm loving the tone and blend of the pickups.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kong likes this.