NGD: 2006 Jimmy Page Custom Authentic '59 LP.

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by oasis02, Sep 27, 2017.

1. oasis02

oasis02 Member

I got the 2006 JPP that was recently posted at Dave's.

It had been something I've coveted for quite a while, so I decided to take a chance.

The condition is nearly flawless; I can't detect any blems whatsoever. The weight is a bit heavy at 9.8 lbs, but somehow it doesn't feel like an anchor. I had a 2016 THR9 that was appointed very similarly to this one. The fretboard was almost reddish-looking and always put me off. This one is a very rich, deep brown.

The neck is vey unique with the Page ultra-thin elliptical carve. There was a time where this would have been a certain deal breaker, but coming-off a Colletti CC#26 I'm used to smaller neck.

Tonally, I've always been a fan of the Burstbucker for harder classic rock. I use a Kemper, so I'm finding that some profiles sounded better on the Colletti, some sound better on the JPP. I'm in some type of Marshall profile 90% of the time.

I could tell instantly that the Page bridge pickup had more muscle. This lends itself well to some things; others get a little "congested". The neck pickups are relatively close. I like to turn my neck tone all the way down between 0 and 3. It does sing pretty nicely.

The middle position is simply an out-of-phase ordeal. It will get used for some background looping.

The coil tap does a nice job; I don't drop a ton a volume and you do get a believable Tele-ish tone if you turn the tone knob to about 5. There's a Floyd "Mother" solo profile I use that really sounds great with the coil tapped. Better than my former Strat!

Nitpicks: So far, I've had to re-tune after every play. I meant to have it re-strung but didn't so hopefully it's just due to old strings and a slight truss adjustment they did for me in-store.

Pleased with the guitar. GOAT for me? Close...

Truth011, bossaddict, Who and 7 others like this.
  2. JimmyAce2006

JimmyAce2006 V.I.P. Member

Congrats!

3. JimmyAce2006

JimmyAce2006 V.I.P. Member

BTW, those are not burst buckers in the Page LP. They are Page buckers. They have AL3 magnets. Burstbuckers typically have AL2 magnets. Custom Buckers typically have AL3 magnets. So it makes sense that the Page pickups might sound similar to Custom Buckers.

As for the tuning issue, are the strings wrapped the way the instructions tell you to wrap them? Should have the first loop over the part of the string that goes through the tuning peg hole. The other loops go under. This forms a pinch that normally keeps the strings in tune better.

Blue Blood likes this.
  4. KBMelb

KBMelb Senior Member

Congrats!

Did you sell/trade the Colletti back to Dave's? If so what was the serial #?

5. thatF-INGflyingVguy

thatF-INGflyingVguy Senior Member

congrats !!!!!!!!!

6. joff

joff Senior Member

Yummy yummy yum yum! :drool:

7. AxeBuilder

AxeBuilder Senior Member

8. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Recovering Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

Congrats!

9. DADGAD

DADGAD Senior Member

C'mon!! Only one pic? More!!!!!

10. oasis02

oasis02 Member

"Did you sell/trade the Colletti back to Dave's? If so what was the serial #?" It was 089. A gem...So was the Blackmore Strat!

Dave's Milwaukee did a proper setup yesterday afternoon. Very nice establishment. It's very likely the strings were the originals, as the JPP and Clapton items were collector-owned.

It was one of the last bucket-listers I had. The only remaining one is a vintage ('66-69) SG. One of these days...

I'll try to get some decent pics this weekend. Thank you for the happy NGD wishes!

11. KBMelb

KBMelb Senior Member

Ah. I bought a used Colletti from Dave's and was just curious if it was yours but mine it 082.
    They sure do have a thin neck.

Jimmy Page is my guitar hero but a JPP is way out of $$ Range.

Enjoy in good health!

12. steve13281

steve13281 Senior Member

Congrats! Welcome to the club!

13. Nippon

Nippon Senior Member

Beautiful.

14. Ides of March

Ides of March Senior Member

Love that guitar, I have molded my 09 Trad HCS after that JPP, and the Kossoff. Tried to combine the two of them. Best of luck with it.

15. oasis02

oasis02 Member

Update: A JPC Black Beauty became available at a reasonable price. Because of my affinity for the Colletti, I knew I'd like it.

LP for LP, If you put a Bigsby on the Colletti, and told me it was a Page I would take the Colletti for the V-neck which is the most hand-friendly I've played.

That being said, it's an absolute blast to play. The coil tap on the #1 reminds me of a Tele and a couple of the toggle positions on the BB sound very Strat-ish.

Surrender One Page? Although I think the single best tone I've heard has been in the #1, I would keep The JPC for the long haul because of the neck, tonal options, and the Bigsby is fun to occasionally use.

All I need now is a 2017 D-28 for the full-blown OCD Page Tribute...
    If the Cash wren't nearly perfect, it would have already happened!

It's funny, because this was almost an all-Clapton set. Dave's had the Beano and Crossroads 335 when I got the Page #1.

Truth011 likes this.
  16. bossaddict

bossaddict Premium Member

Nice! Belated congratulations!

17. Marshallow

Marshallow Senior Member

Double Congrats! Will you rewire the JPP properly? Since Jimmy's tone with Zep relied a great deal on the regular middle position, certainly never out-of-phase, it's quite a miss from the Custom Shop to wire the guitar that way. The push-pull should put the pups out-of-phase but then again, a coil-split is probably more useful.

As for the Custom, I had a bigsby one and loved the myriad of tones on tap but it was heavy, never stayed in tune for long and the neck profile was definitely a flat 60's. For my taste, the Colletti is much nicer to play. I'd have liked to keep the JPC too but didn't have enough space... They're quite different beasts, aren't they?