NGD: 2006 Fender Custom Shop 1960 relic

Discussion in 'Fender' started by Hydra19, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Hydra19

Hydra19 Senior Member

Just bought my first real Stratocaster. I grew up playing a no name plywood strat but when I got serious about playing it was all Les Pauls, Mosrites, and Fender Jaguar. I knew my hands preferred the shorter scale ones, but I needed a Stratocaste in my collection and would enjoy playing a whole new type of guitar.

I narrowed down my choices to the new Professional Stratocaster, but for the same price I could get a Ventures Strat, AV65 or a Custom Shop 60 relic. Only the 60's relic would be bought used to so I thought it was the best choice. It's black with a matching headstock, similar to Lennon's strat, although Bob Dylan also played a similar one with Eric Clapton live. I like the look with a matching headstock, not Fender classic, but classy nonetheless.

It sounds good, like a Start but I need to put my preferred set of strings and learn about setting up a Stratocaster to get the best out of it so I'm not judging it yet. I learned from experience a great guitar can feel like crap with the wrong strings. I'll set it up this weekend and find my sound with it hopefully. So far it sounds quite good but as mentioned, I think it can feel a bit better to play still

Anybody else have these guitars? Were the earlier models more vintage accurate then the later ones? How do people like the Custom Shop 60 pickups, with the bevelled pole pieces and how high do you have these pickups? I usually have all my pickups quite close to the strings, but I've read this is not the Strat way.

Here are a couple of pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NHTom, TheWelder and The_Nuge like this.
  2. Tanner

Tanner Senior Member

Wow, the mint green pickguard and matching headstock really make that thing look gorgeous. Congrats!

3. Falconbill

Falconbill Premium Member

IMHO, you made the wise choice. Congrats.

4. Nippon

Nippon Insert Kanji here... Premium Member

Nice.

5. Crotch

Crotch Delete My Account Entirely Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

I'm usually not one for matching headstocks but that whole combo really works. Totally dig it

6. Hydra19

Hydra19 Senior Member

Thanks, I've set it up with new strings, and played with the action until it was still low but not buzzy, and I've found it, it's getting better and better and is already much better than when I got it. I think it may still have too much relief, but it's fun to play as it is, and it's sounding sweet and stratty. Next I will find my optimal pickup height ane be done with it. Great guitar

7. NotScott

NotScott Silver Supporter Premium Member

Congrats on a cool guitar!

I have some of the earliest relics and some of the later Time Machine versions. Here is what I can tell you.

The first relics (roughly 95-99) were subcontracted for paint and ageing to Vince Cunetto. These are known for their realistic ageing but missed on several accuracy issues, primarily the neck radius (9.5" vs vintage 7.25") and the headstock shape (more of a bulge under the FENDER logo than vintage).

The later Time Machine series were made to be as accurate to vintage specs as possible and are much closer to true vintage specs. The finish on these is quite good.

I like most of Fender's CS pickups. They sound good when setup right. I usually start with the neck pup 6/64" away from the high E when fretted at the last fret and then 8/64" for the low E. I then adjust to get the most even tone. Then I adjust the middle pup to match output and balance the neck. Then the bridge. If you want to avoid the ice-pick bridge, you will end up with the low E side of the pup closer than the high E side. If you set the pups too close to the strings, you will lose sustain, screw up your intonation and cause warbling tones or "stratitis" on your lower strings. Just use your ears and you will hear for yourself.

8. NHTom

NHTom Senior Member

WOW......totally stunning.......between the black, the relic, and the matching headstock, that thing is incredible.

NHTom