NGD:2005 Epi SG (G-400)

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by 1all's Pub, Jan 6, 2017.

1. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

Well, craigslist strikes again! Post holiday craigslist sales are awesome… managed to pick up yet another Epi at a bargain price. This time a 2005 Cherry SG! Came with a stout SKB hard shell case, a Levy's Strap, and an amp cable (can never have too many of them ;)). All for $200! Axe and case both were in desperate need of a good, deep cleaning, but underneath all the dust & grime was a stellar SG. Neck is nice with a D-ish profile that measures a stout 0.820" & 0.956" at the 1st & 12th frets respectively. Haven't put in on the postal scale yet, but I can tell it's a light one. Guessing around 7lbs.

Only blems are a small ding one the side up by where the elbow rests when playing & a few minor scuffs on the neck pickup cover. Otherwise, it's in fantastic shape. Speaking of pickups, the neck seems to be actually quite nice, but the bridge is pretty harsh sounding. I have a few bridge pickups just lying around... I'll give one or more of them a shot over the next couple months. :D

Gave the truss rod a tweak last night, put some D'Addario NYXL 10-46s on it (& lemon oiled the fretboard), and intonated it as well. Plays very nicely.

Frankly, I've never been a big SG fan...just don't fit me ergonomically very well...but I have recently managed to assemble a bit of a "collection" of the other classic Gibson solid bodies (or the Epi equivalent in several cases). Over this past year I have managed to acquire an Epi Flying V, as well as (more recently) a Gibson Explorer, and an Epi Firebird Studio. So the SG was really the last hold-out of the 5 main/classic Gibson solid bodied guitars (I have LPs too obviously). Soooo... I HAD to get an SG if for no other reason than to complete the Gibson/Epi solid body "collection". :D And I just couldn't pass up the deal on this SG (& case) when I saw it. That said, I am kinda digging it so far, so I am warming to the SG already. :)

In keeping with my tradition of naming my guitars after "vintagey" actresses/sex symbols/pinup girls, etc, I named this one "Roz" after 70s actress Roz Kelly (those of you around in the 70s will know her from Happy Days where she played Fonzie's demolition derby queen girlfriend, Pinky Tuscadero! :D)

Anyway, here's pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. PeteH

PeteH Member

Great deal!
    Congrats and happy NGD

3. GS1

GS1 Senior Member

Looks great, love the grain pattern! I just picked one of them up at Sam Ash, and was pretty darned impressed for what they are asking for them. I think they will grow on you, I used to be completely indifferent to them, and now my '13 Standard is one of my favorites of all time.

4. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

Thanks gents. It is growing on my more and more... it'll ever by my favorite, but I am definitely growing to appreciate it. It does suffer from typical SG neck dive though (finally got it on the scale, it only weighs 6.41lbs... which no doubt contributes to the neck dive with the body being so light). Thinking I may put a Bigsby B5 (via the Vibramate V5) on it. From what I've read that usually solves neck dive... and gives you a cool vibrato bar too! :)

5. metale

metale Senior Member

I've been considering that on mine too, but it will be a good year or so until I can think seriously about it.

Congrats on the guitar!

6. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

As I mentioned in my OP, the bridge pickup was/is pretty harsh... so i just swapped in a DiMarzio Air Classic (double black open coils)... and what a huge improvement. Really nice now and compliments the Epi Alnico Classic neck very nicely too. She's a keeper now for sure! :D
    [​IMG]

7. AK Epi Player

AK Epi Player Senior Member

Awesome score, and glad she's now sounding up to par! :thumb:

Hard to beat a Cherry Red SG for that classic look, and they are a nice change to pick up from a LP.

Studio Firebird you say?.... :hmm: Might have to look into one of them! :)

8. shupe13

shupe13 Senior Member

Congrats!