NGD 1998 Epiphone 58 Korina Flying V reissue Bent Bridge Posts

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by scott 351 wins, Mar 2, 2017.

1. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins Senior Member

So I receive this guitar from my girlfriend as a gift. It was bought off Ebay, asked the seller several questions about the guitar etc.... never once did he say the bridge is at an angle. I get the guitar yesterday and see the bridge is at an angle. I like the guitar but I am most likely going to contact seller and ask for some sort of compensation regarding the bridge. I'll most likely have to buy a new bridge to replace the bent bridge posts. I assume the bridge is a metric one, am I correct on this?

2. BadPenguin

BadPenguin Senior Member

Yeah, it's metric. But I don't seen an obscene angle there. The bass one "might" be bent, but from the pics, it's hard to tell. Did you take it out fully, and did it "wobble" when it unscrewed??

3. scott 351 wins

I just took the bridge out, the previous owner had the bridge on wrong. The saddle adjustment screws were in towards the bridge pickup. The bridge posts came out without any wobble but they were very loose feeling, meaning alot of play.

4. Brians Evil Twin

Brians Evil Twin Poophoria Sōtō Zen V.I.P. Member

The posts don't look bent to me, I think the studs are angled slightly. Epiphone zinc hardware is pretty junky, so loose parts don't surprise me.

Frankly, it doesn't look all that bad, but to fix it properly, you should have a luthier redo the studs, posts and bridge with some quality metric stuff like Tonepros, Gotoh, Faber.

It would sound better too.

BTW, there is no "wrong" way to face the bridge, Gibson ships their guitars with the screws facing the bridge pickup:

[​IMG]

5. BadPenguin

BadPenguin Senior Member

You can pull the studs out easily, with a old stud, a claw hammer, and a block of wood. they aren't glued in, just pressure fitted in.OR you can wrap the threads with plumbers tape. The first takes longer, and is hairy with possibly damaging the finish, the other takes 15 seconds.

6. scott 351 wins

I'll just upgrade to a Metric TonePros bridge and while i'm at it upgrade to grover tuners also.

7. charlie chitlins

charlie chitlins Senior Member

The guitar needs a little work.
    The girlfriend seems just fine as she is.

8. SGeoff

SGeoff Premium Member

I had the same issue on the same guitar. the post that goes thru the pickguard just goes into the wood with no metal bushing. So, what I ended up doing was installing larger bushings, with new studs and posts. Quite a bit more work, but the bridge ended up straight and solid. I drilled a bigger hole thru the pickguard for the whole circumference of the bushing. Bob was and still is, my uncle:)

9. scott 351 wins

Girlfriend is awesome by the way...... the guitar not so, lol The seller reimbursed me 65.00 for failing to tell me about the bridge and how it doesn't stay in tune at all. So I ordered a metric Tone pros bridge and Kluson 19:1 Revolution tuners. Received the bridge waiting on tuners. I have a Tokai LS50 Reborn that is getting a refret, once that's done i'll have the v setup by the same Luthier.

Attached Files:

10. scott 351 wins

Got this bridge yesterday

Attached Files:

11. scott 351 wins

do you have any pics of the work that you did to yours?

I went ahead and bought a set of these metric knobs off Ebay, I don't like how the stock knobs feel.

Attached Files:

12. SGeoff

SGeoff Premium Member

I am sorry, no pics of what I did..altho the guitar was subsequently sold to member StinkyKitty, who may still have it, and may have thoughts or even pics on what was done. Essentially, I just needed to enlarge the hole under the pick guard and install 2 new bushings. If you do have a luthier on it it should be no big deal.