NGD!! 1981 MIJ Emperor Thinline

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by BrianB, Feb 8, 2017.

1. BrianB

BrianB Senior Member

Came across this on Craigslist recently. I'd kind of been looking for something in this direction for a while...archtop, F holes, hollow or semi hollow.

I wasn't sure what it was, and it took some serious Googlefu to find out what it is. Curiously, someone here on MLP has one, and it seemed like a good third of all the pics of it online were of his guitar... :laugh2: Apparently they're pretty uncommon. Information is a bit vague and conflicting on points.

One thing I did read is these shipped in Gibson cases, which might mean this is the original case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's had a few pieces changed out over the years, but there's no cracks in the wood or binding anywhere. I must say, I love the (non original)pickguard on it..really good color match too. Knobs, truss rod cover, and, sadly, the pickups (should be Maxon MMK-75's) have also been changed out.

I had it for a week before I could get a chance to go through it and give it a cleaning. Looked like it hadn't had one in a while...

[​IMG]

Behind the Frequensator tailpiece...under the strings at the headstock looked similar.

[​IMG]

yucka...

[​IMG]

A few hours last weekend got her shined up pretty nicely. :thumb:

Original E tuners (Gotoh?), non original (but I kind of like it) TRC...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fretboard cleaned and oiled. Nice ebony board. Frets have an honest bit of wear to them. She's been loved.

[​IMG]

Non original neck pickup is actually a SD bridge model... This one was fairly easy to track down...

[​IMG]

Non original bridge pickup, on the other hand, eludes me. I suspect I may have to take the cover off (doesn't look original to the pickup anyway) to track down what it is... Any thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From what I can see thru the F hole, the rest of the harness is the original from 1981.

Spruce top, maple back/rim, mahogany center block. 3 piece maple neck.

[​IMG]

She is a pretty ol' gal. Think I'll keep her for a while. Plays pretty damn nice now, after a good going through and a new set of flatwound 11's.

[​IMG]

Cheers!

B.

2. Whoopysnorp

Whoopysnorp Senior Member

That is a very cool find right there.

3. Brians Evil Twin

Brians Evil Twin Poophoria Sōtō Zen V.I.P. Member

Oh hell yes!

Now there are two on MLP!

[​IMG]

Here's a shot of the originals, but a Dimarzio bridge and SD neck ain't a bad combo either!

[​IMG]

4. Phildog

Phildog Senior Member

Gorgeous guitars Brian(s)!!!

5. Mowgli5555

Mowgli5555 Senior Member

So cool...

I had been on the hunt for one for a while. I have a 1981 Epiphone Sheraton (Japan) and it is among my favorite guitars, and one of the sweetest sounding arch top guitars I have played for the cash.

Nice find, and great scoop. Josh

6. TruckstopChuckie

TruckstopChuckie Senior Member

Very nice. Those are terrific blues/jazz axe's. How's the neck shape?

7. Kong

Kong Senior Member

Gorgeous guitar, cheers!

8. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

Looks great now,

You've done a great work

:applause::applause:

9. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

Very nice!!!! What a cool find!

10. BrianB

BrianB Senior Member

Yeah it is. It was on CL for a couple of days before it occurred to me what I was really looking at. Was a bit surprised the fellow still had it.

Yeah...it was yours that I kept finding pics of..lol. Surprising how little info there is on these out there.

Not 100% sold on these pickups (and especially how they got spliced in... :shock: ), but with them not being the original Maxons, it opens the door to swapping them out. The only downside to that being shiny new gold humbucker covers will stand out from the rest of the faded gold hardware...

Couple of questions if I could; Yours is all original, right? Is that a standard Epi TRC like you'd find on later MIK models? Is that the original bridge on yours? Mine is quite different, and I've found pictures of both in my searches. The pic from the Epi wiki looks like yours with the slotted studs.

Thanks. :)

Bet that Sheraton is sweet. I keep reading nothing but good things about these '80s vintage Matsumoku Epiphones.

I'll bet you can add rockabilly and Chuck Berry type sounds to that palate as well. :naughty: Seems like a very versatile guitar.

Not sure how to really describe it...very comfortable though.

Thanks! :thumb:

Thanks! :)

B.

11. Brians Evil Twin

As far as I can tell it's 100% original. The wear and fading of everything is consistent, and it doesn't appear that anything has been tampered with...

12. BrianB

BrianB Senior Member

Thanks. :thumb:

I think as time goes on I'll keep a casual eye out for a correct TRC and a set of witch hats to put in the case. Whether or not I ever put them on....lol

That pickguard that's on mine though...that stays put. I have no clue of it's origin, but it's a really dark tortoiseshell that matches the color perfectly. It's such a tight cut around the pickup rings I'm thinking it was custom cut for this guitar.

13. Brians Evil Twin

Underside of the bridge....

[​IMG]

14. Whoopysnorp

Whoopysnorp Senior Member

Just remove the covers and put them on whatever replacement pickups you get. As long as the pole spacings are the same, that should be no problem.

15. Caretaker

Caretaker Senior Member

The bridge pickup with the hex screws looks like a Super Distortion.

16. BrianB

BrianB Senior Member

I could, but the opening for the pole pieces seem abnormally large. The look kinda weird. :shock: It's definitely an option though. Thanks.

My initial thought as well, but aren't there several different Dimarzios that used the hex poles?

17. BrianB

BrianB Senior Member

So, where I work added a "family" branch to the medical services they offer. Has nothing to do with the price of tea in China other than it now gives me access to an accurate scale (used for weighing infants).

So, I can now weigh my "babies".... :laugh2:

If it hadn't snowed two feet worth in the last couple days, I'da brought my '92 Studio with me as well this morning (covering an AV presentation today).

[​IMG]

4.240 kg = 9.3476 pounds. :cool:

18. Brians Evil Twin

Seems about right, mine is heavy too (for a hollow body).