NGD: 1981 Greco SA-1200

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by currypowder, Sep 14, 2017.

1. currypowder

currypowder Senior Member

I've been keeping my eye out for one of these for awhile now, and a couple of weeks ago, one popped up on Yahoo Japan. It must have been a pretty short auction, by the time I saw it there were only a few hours left, not enough time for me to try and ask any questions. While the seller did a pretty good job in his description and pictures, he left out a few key pieces of information, so I was unable to determine with 100% certainty that it was, in fact, and SA-1200. My fear was that it could have been a slightly later SA-59-120. But I put a bid in anyway, then waited with fingers crossed for it to arrive. Turns out it was exactly what it was described to be, a one - owner 1981 SA-1200 fully factory stock with original brown/pink hard case.

The seller indicated that he played it quite a bit for the first 10 years, then it sat in its case since. It came to me pretty dirty, I had to clean it up quite a bit. Overall it's in pretty good condition, though there are a few dings around the binding and headstock. Nothing extreme, though. I love the look of the vintage burst. So many of the bursts I see are super bright in the middle and super dark at the edges. Greco really got this right. The seller indicated that the frets may need replacing. While there are some light divots in a few of the frets, the most it needs is a leveling, which I'm going to ignore for now as I don't notice it while playing. I was afraid I was going to have to take it to have it set up. I can do basic set ups, but anything too extreme I'm not comfortable doing. But when I got it restrung, and the action adjusted to my liking, I found that it plays perfectly, so I'm going to leave it alone for now.

I'm not the best at describing tone, but it sounds and feels just like my '82 Dot Reissue. I just love the way it rings unplugged. Plugged in, the cleans are perfect. And overdriven with a little volume, the guitar just comes alive. This is one of may favorite features of a good 335.

Enough rambling, here are a few pics. Link to the whole album is here (most of the pics are the sellers, but I added a few) -
    https://1drv.ms/a/s!AoLRRT1O_HxXsGeZhmbPQXmDidOa

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

paruwi likes this.
  2. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

Happy New (to You) Semi-Hollow Day

:applause::thumb::applause::thumb::applause:

3. Paul46

Paul46 Senior Member