NGD 1962 Epiphone Wilshire OG

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by Mowgli5555, May 2, 2017.

1. Mowgli5555

Mowgli5555 Senior Member

Alright... I didn't know where to post this, and it could be moved pretty quickly. However, I thought the folks in this section might enjoy it a bit more than in other sections of the forum.

Anyway, I was searching for an earlier SG Special to replace a 1965 SG Special that I had for only 2 weeks.
    The guitar I bought years ago turned up stolen after being sold to me. I was contacted by their Sheriff and I agreed not to get between another man and his instrument, even after much sadness.

It would be another 3-4 years before I could even consider something like a nice CS reissue SG.
    Plus, vintage SG's feel like they are starting to climb again and even CS Reissue guitars were around $2k plus.

Well, while searching, there were also two other guitar types produced in very low numbers that I always had in mind.
    The earlier Epiphone Wilshire and Epiphone Crestwood from the Gibson factory. I really wanted the symmetrical body and stop tail.

Well, after searching and searching... I was about to pull the trigger on a vintage Greco SG when I found a gentleman selling a 1966 Epiphone Wilshire.
    Only thing was, I am pretty sure it could be a bit earlier. It had been stripped of many of its original parts, but the body and neck still looked great for a player after 55 years.

It is officially on its way to me and should be here sometime next week. My plans are to slowly bring it back to original and just play it.
    Hopefully you enjoyed the thread:) Josh

Attached Files:

bblooz, Benjammin, endial and 6 others like this.
  2. bossaddict

bossaddict Premium Member

Looks really cool. Congrats in advance!

3. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

That's what the 'Other Epiphone' section was made for

Yes

[​IMG] this is an €pi Wilshire from '59-'62

a '66 Wilshire would have a 'Batwing' type headstock

Happy 'Incoming €pi Day'

endial, HeartString and A1Coyote like this.
  4. Mowgli5555

Mowgli5555 Senior Member

It is a 1962 based on research. I just wanted to share it with the other 2 people in the other Epiphone section. Josh

5. A1Coyote

A1Coyote Senior Member

HNGD! What a nice find!

Your guitar was made at the
    Kalamazoo Plant, MI, USA
    in 1962
    Per the Guitar Dater Project

6. A1Coyote

A1Coyote Senior Member

Wow I got head off at the pass! You posted that as I was typing, lmao!

7. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

You really should have bought a Gibson....
    [​IMG]

HeartString likes this.
  8. Mowgli5555

Mowgli5555 Senior Member

Haha... Mostly because I knew what year it was even before I bought it. I was just being a little hush hush about it.

Hopefully this is what I am after when it arrives. I wonder if I should find some modern Gibson P-90's until I can source a vintage set.
    Oddly, it looks to have a Nashville bridge, and I am hoping he used conversion posts or I will probably leave it as is.
    Personally, I like an ABR-1, but I am not going to dowel and re drill the thinner posts.

Who knows how much of the controls and small bits are original. We'll see when it arrives.
    This one will just sit on a stand and I have every intention to play the shi# out of it.
    After owning around 4-5 Gibson SG Standards, and about 5-6 MIJ SG's, I needed something like the old 65 SG Special that was so short lived. Josh

Edit: Oh, there was a hint in an earlier post stating it looked good for being 55 years old;)

9. HeartString

HeartString Senior Member Premium Member

I love vintage guitars! I had a 1966 Fender Mustang that had incredible vintage sound. I'm sure you're going to love this one! She's a beauty!! HNVGD!!!

10. Mowgli5555

Mowgli5555 Senior Member

Thanks:) To the best of my knowledge, there were 186/180 Epiphone Wilshires made from 1961/1962 in this body shape with a stop tail.
    Who knows how many actually exist today. It was great to find this one, instead of settling on the USA Custom Shop Reissue 62 Wilshire. Josh

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  11. Mowgli5555

Mowgli5555 Senior Member

It arrived today...

Finally a NGD for me and my first vintage Epiphone. It has been updated to Nashville style posts which I will just leave alone.
    Two pots are modern Gibson pots and I am unsure about the switch. The tailpiece looks to be original, but I am unsure.

I do really like the pickups and am not sure if I will leave it alone or not. Anyway, hopefully my pictures show its true character after 55 years of musical sounds. Josh

Attached Files:

12. Bud Stoner

Bud Stoner Senior Member

Epi needs to reissue these. I'm bummed I missed out on the ones similar to this with a trem that came out a few years back.

Congrats on the sweet vintage Epi! :thumbs:

13. Mowgli5555

Mowgli5555 Senior Member

Thanks... The Gibson USA Custom Shop reissued them, but most are still holding around $2k give or take a few bucks.
    I would much rather have an original issue, even if it has a few newer parts for just a little more cash.

In fact, for me... I cant think of a better vintage instrument for the value than an earlier 1960's Epiphone.
    This was an instrument that wasn't going to leave my house much. However, it hasn't really left my side since it has arrived, and it will be a main player of mine.

I am not 100% sure, but I believe it should have a Brazilian rosewood fretboard.
    The guitar is extremely light, around what an SG would weigh. This one doesn't really have any neck dive and feels pretty balanced. It doesn't have quite the fret access the SG offers though, and reminds me of a lighter LP Special.

This upcoming week I will make a sound clip for both pickups. My recording has to be 2-3 minutes or I have trouble uploading them. Josh

Last edited: May 7, 2017
    Bud Stoner likes this.
  14. Mowgli5555

Mowgli5555 Senior Member

Ugh... Sorry I haven't made the sound clips quite yet. Life has been happening and I am just trying to keep up.

Last week I restrung the Wilshire and it plays. Since I string 1 string at a time, I forgot to look at the bridge.
    After measuring the post distances, I might shoot for an ABR-1 type bridge to get the stop tail a little lower.

Still haven't made a decision for the pickups, I think they sound fine, but would love some matching 1960's Gibson P-90's in black.
    A repro ABR-1 will do for now, since I would rather finish my Replica after this purchase (unfinished for 4 years now).

Hopefully, Sunday I can get some quick sound clips. Sadly, I don't have any set neck guitars to compare it against at the moment.
    It is a tough guitar to put down and I see it being a favorite. Josh

endial likes this.
  15. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

Very, very cool!!!!

16. smk506

smk506 Senior Member

Looks like it has a huge neck, I like!

17. old mark

old mark Senior Member

A Gibson - made Epiphone...Big class! enjoy it!

18. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

what kind of pickups are those?

19. Mowgli5555

Mowgli5555 Senior Member

The pickups will likely be swapped at some point. From the original listing, it looks like they are a Seymour Duncan in the neck, and a Dimarzio in the bridge.

To me, the neck was actually thinner than expected. Sort of in between 50's and 60's reissue necks that I have played.

Now I just need to decide if it will be a player. As much as I enjoy playing it often, I do worry about it being around after the next decade or two.

It got me thinking that I might just need a Gibson SG Faded Special to hammer on.
    Plus it would be nice to have some humbuckers for a change. Josh

20. bblooz

bblooz Senior Member

Actually, this is more like a vintage Gibson than an Epi LP. I would post it in Vinatge or the "Other Single-Cuts" forum. I have a '67 Epi Olympic, and love it. Regardless, it is a nice guitar and thanks for sharing the story and pix.