NG Coming soon Eastwood Custom Shop Guitars - Moderne Reissue as an "Avante"

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Les Paul John, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Les Paul John

Les Paul John Senior Member

I'm subscribed to Eastwood Guitars newsletter because I purchased an Eastwood Airline Map guitar in red a couple of years ago and was so impressed with it I decided that if they made something special I would grab it.

They did! They have two wesbites, one for Eastwood Guitars and one for Eastwood Customs. https://eastwoodcustoms.com https://eastwoodguitars.com

They are issuing a version of Gibson's Moderne but have named it an "Avante".

These are preliminary photos they made available and NOT the actual finished product. I have never done a crow funded pre-order custom shop guitar before but for $599 I said why not!

Body is basswood and the neck is maple. It doesn't have the Gumby headstock but I'm sure Gibson owns the rights to it and nobody will be using it but Gibson.

I already know how great Eastwood pickups, electronics and hardware is and they do have them made in Korea which at this time have 40 years experience I think or something like that. I own a few guitars made in Korea and I'm pretty sure the same 2 or 3 factories make everyone's lol.

Anyway, I pre-ordered this way back in 2018 and they were supposed to be built and shipped in July but they were delayed .... of course - the email I got last week says it will ship towards the end of November. When it comes I will give a review of it and let you know if it is better than an Epiphone .... I already know Eastwood guitars are better than Epis. Just MY opinion however.

IMG_9690.jpg IMG_9689.jpg IMG_9691.jpg

SFK, frozenotter, mdubya and 4 others like this.
  2. Les Paul John

Here's my Eastwood Airline Map guitar which is a mahogany chambered body with a bolt on neck like the original and a great playing and sounding guitar. I has a great 60s tone but also rocks out good Black Sabbath type 1969 era tones.

I'm hoping this Moderne "Avante" is done as well as these are. They probably will be.

IMG_0175.jpg IMG_0181.jpg IMG_0184.jpg IMG_0171.jpg IMG_0179.jpg IMG_0176.jpg IMG_8907.jpg IMG_0187.jpg IMG_8920.jpg IMG_8919.jpg

Frogfur, SFK, mdubya and 4 others like this.
  3. endial

endial Senior Member

Awesome!

Keep us updated.

Les Paul John likes this.
  4. sibyrpunk

sibyrpunk Senior Member

That is wicked cool! Wish I had the cash to help with the crowd funding. Let us know how it plays when it arrives.

5. Nethan Paul

Nethan Paul Junior Member

Thanks for sharing, getting to know a lot of things.

6. Les Paul John

How it works is they offer a down payment of $150 which many people pay so they get a nice sum to pay for production of it in batches. After they get it made or when it will ship “soon” they send out an invoice for the balance plus shipping. Once paid they ship by first come first serve.

Their regular run factory guitars are great too.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  7. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Sweet, freaky axes! Congrats. If I ever buy a new guitar, I think this will be the one:

[​IMG]

8. Les Paul John

Yes! That’s a beauty. They always reissue oddball Guitars that were really made in the 60s. I like how the P-90 is angled at the neck, probably sounds great.

Their pickups are good too.

9. fleahead

fleahead Senior Member

People who balk at Indonesian-made guitars have evidently never seen Eastwood's stuff. I've never seen a bad one.
    These are on my list
    Eastwood-Guitars_EUB1_Black_Right-hand_Angled_1090x.jpg
    EB1_1090x.jpg

10. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Senior Member

You got Rick Danko and Jack Bruce (also Felix Pappalardi) covered with those two!.
    Al

fleahead and Les Paul John like this.
  11. fleahead

fleahead Senior Member

You nailed it, lol. And Boz Burrell and John Paul Jones. Probably going for the Ampeg 1st.

12. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Senior Member

Forgot about Boz, loved that guy's playing. One of the few guys in a rock band to use a fretless bass, and he took advantage of it in the slides he did in some songs. Loved Danko too. Didn't know what JPJ played, thought he used Fender.
    Al

13. indeedido

indeedido Senior Member

The Epiphone's are Korina body and neck with pao ferro board, so there's that.

14. fleahead

fleahead Senior Member

All I remember is when I bought LZ III there is a small photo of him with a later model EB-1 and I was intriqued... then I saw Felix. Boom, that was it

15. Les Paul John

Yes, I have an Epiphone V like that. It’s great, I also have guitars with maple necks like the Gibson N-225 - they have a snappy but warm sound.

I’ll give my thoughts on it. It’s only $599 and there aren’t very many, will be good for the collection.

I might get an Epiphone one as well.

16. Les Paul John

Got a notification it shipped today .... pre-ordered it in March! manufacturing delays, was supposed to ship in July previously.

I'll make a post when it comes ... first guitar from Eastwood Customs I ever order, have an Eastwood "regular" production which is a great guitar. Good build quality.

Will receive it December 3rd supposedly ... unless some winter storm messes with it.

17. frozenotter

frozenotter Dumbed-Down Premium Member

Those are really different. I do like! :)

18. Les Paul John

Tracking says it’s in Massachusetts and will be here in Maine at my door Monday!

19. Bluesky

Bluesky Silver Supporter

I never tried an Eastwood but I always wanted a Johnny Ramone model. Ive heard great things and have seen them in the hands of some pretty cool players.:acoustic:

20. Les Paul John

I have two Eastwood guitars, the one posted and this one pictured. I got an Airline Map by Eastwood and it's a perfect guitar. Locking tuners, roller bridge for the trem, great pickups and made in Korea.

It's chambered mahogany and sounds magnificent!

IMG_0181.jpg IMG_0177.jpg IMG_0172.jpg IMG_0179.jpg IMG_0176.jpg IMG_0168.jpg IMG_0171 2.jpg IMG_0175.jpg