NFL Football 2014-15

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Kashmir, Aug 5, 2014.

1. kmk108

kmk108 Senior Member

It's that time of the year when we get to play what if with a lot of things.

One thing that has been talked about with the NBA is getting rid of the conference seeding for the playoffs. Give division winners a birth and then fill the rest of the bracket with the top remaining teams, regardless of conference.

I think this would be an interestin idea for the NFL. If they want to expand with two more teams and put more emphasis on winning your division, give automatic berths to the division winners and take the remaining top teams based on record. There would be no more NFC/AFC paths. Just seed everyone based on record (with tiebreakers) and leave it an open field. We'd get more unique matchups every year.

2. PeteK

PeteK Senior Member

That's not really that different from what they do now. Division leaders are in and 2 wildcards from each conference. I guess you could combine the 4 total wildcard slots into the overall best remaining 4 records, but that's basically what the wildcard is anyways.

Unless I'm understanding you wrong and you're saying division when you mean conference. Then it would be 1 team from the AFC, 1 from the NFC and the rest of the teams are in based on best overall record.

1 person likes this.
  3. b3john

b3john Senior Member

:lol:

4. b3john

b3john Senior Member

But that still doesn't prevent a team with a losing record from getting into the playoffs.

If I were commish I'd disqualify any team without a winning record (i.e. no 8-8 teams), and replace them with an additional wildcard team. "Sprinkles are for winners."

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAw2TXsgBbY[/ame]

:laugh2:

5. kmk108

kmk108 Senior Member

It's because the NFL wants to put emphasis on winning the division, but if you want that much emphasis, make it the division record, not overall record.

1 person likes this.
  6. Kashmir

Kashmir Senior Member

Of course, and that's the way it should be. Where should the line be drawn otherwise? It's like saying a team that goes 15-1 for the season shouldn't have to play a team that's 12-4. It should always be divisional. Chances are anyway, that the 8-8 team won't last too long in the playoffs. And although that 8-8 team usually may not be very good, there's the scenario as well that they could be in a division that equally good, and playing 4 games against a division that's the best in the NFL. Either way, it's fair and right.

7. kmk108

kmk108 Senior Member

I'm not quite sure :laugh2: This is what I'm talking about using this year if they added two more teams to the wild card.

NFC Division Winners:
    Dallas
    Green Bay
    Carolina
    Seattle

AFC Division Winners:
    New England
    Pittsburgh
    Indianapolis
    Denver

Wild Cards judged by record, regardless of conference:
    Arizona
    Detroit
    Cincinnati
    Baltimore
    Philadelphia
    Kansas City

Seeding would be by record. So you will get in by winning your division, but if you have a bad record, like Carolina, you don't get the home field advantage. You're bottom of the pile.

1 New England
    2 Dallas
    3 Denver
    4 Seattle
    5 Green Bay
    6 Pittsburgh
    7 Indianapolis
    8 Arizona
    9 Detroit
    10 Cincinnati
    11 Baltimore
    12 Philadelphia
    13 Kansas City
    14 Carolina

New England and Dallas get byes

1 New England

9 Detroit
    8 Arizona

4 Seattle
    13 Kansas City

12 Philadelphia
    5 Green Bay

2 Dallas

10 Cincinnati
    7 Indianapolis

3 Denver
    14 Carolina

11 Baltimore
    6 Pittsburgh

You can win your division, but preference for seeding is given to overall record. The biggest issue I see with this style is that teams have unbalanced schedules. The biggest plus (in my opinion) is getting to see cross-conference matchups throughout the playoffs.

8. Kashmir

Kashmir Senior Member

May as well have just one division - The NFL.

It wouldn't be competitive enough, lack of viewer, fan interest.

9. kmk108

kmk108 Senior Member

If the NFL were to expand by one more team in each conference, you could set up the schedule so each team plays each conference team once, for a total of 16 games.

10. Kashmir

Kashmir Senior Member

The idea is for each team to attempt to be the best in their division. That's why we have divisions, which means each team plays the other teams in their respectable division twice. Added into that are games outside it, other divisions that rotate and change yearly, bi-yearly, and such. The NFL and the fans seem to want it to stay like that.

1 person likes this.
  11. Ermghoti

Ermghoti Senior Member

Talent is already spread thin, just look at the bottom 4-6 teams. Hapless stinkers all. Now you want to add 106 roster spots. There are 8-10 teams without a legitimate NFL level quarterback as is.

12. Sinster

Sinster Senior Member

Well well well.. looky here
    Adam Schefter: ‘There Are People Who Believe’ Colts Deflated Patriots’ Football | New England Patriots | NESN.com

Haven't read it on the NFL.. However since all the haters called The Patriots cheaters from a report on ESPN.. Then this must be True.. Damn it was the Colts that cheated.

13. PeteK

PeteK Senior Member

I heard Brian Williams deflated the footballs.

2 people like this.
  14. Kashmir

Kashmir Senior Member

1 person likes this.
  15. Ermghoti

Ermghoti Senior Member

That's a pretty silly quote to be making the splash that it is. There are people that believe nobody ever reached the moon, too. Unless he's quoting people from the investigation that believe the Colts meddled with the ball, he could be referring to Kraft, or the guy that injects the Boston cream at the Framingham Dunkins.

16. Zungle

Zungle Senior Member

:hmm:

17. stinkfoot

stinkfoot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

anyway...

[​IMG]