Newest Metallica Rig Rundown

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Pwrmac7600, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

Not my kind of style.

2. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

No matter what I say you'll still have a problem with any answer I give you. So to avoid drama, I will not answer that.

3. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

I do have to admit, you do seem to always take these soft subtle jabs towards modeling whenever possible, all while saying you are truly interested in it. It just comes across as though you are using the guise of being genuinely interested in order to interject your dislike of the tech where ever you can. could just be the way it comes across though, I usually give the benefit of the doubt.

frankv likes this.
  4. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

I have said good things about Fractal but everyone picks the "bad" things i've said about them and really they're not bad things, I was just pointing out the problems or faults that came straight from Fractal's forum.

tzd likes this.
  5. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

repost

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  6. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

To what end? To educate us? Do you think there are any products made that don't have their share of problems? Do you think we don't belong to the Fractal forum too and can read what is there?

No. At first I thought it was me.. But when other highly regarded members start seeing what I have seen for month with you I kinda know whats up.

If you really don't like the equipment and really just want to bash it in your snide way you made famous.. Please do us all a favor and go hang out in the other amp room. It would be a much better experience for you.

7. KenG

KenG Senior Member

Sure in a user forum you're going to get all the spectrum of users, from folkswho may find some minor issues with FW releases because they are competent users delving into the gear, to satisfied users who are making great music with it, but you're also going to get those who cause their own problems because they takethe lazy way and flay away with the gear. So what I'm saying is you are cherry picking posts fromthe forum and using those to convince yourself the tech won't work for you. While you're doing that you are likely ignoring all the positive stuff out there!
    I have seen some pretty stunning stuff on YT by professionals that are successfully using this gear and who's word, quite frankly I would take over most if not all nay-saying forum members.
    How many professional videos/demos have you watched with this gear? Any?
    Look up
    Since you are leaning towards FAudio look on YT for Larry Mitchell and Fractal to see how the AXE tone matched his amps andhe nor anyone liste ing couldn't hear the difference.
    If I were you I would take some time and peruse YT on modelling demos, there are some well known folks out there showing what these can do and how its done. Just be careful as there are also self proclaimed experts outthere bashing the stuff. Its easy to tell who's who,....the self proclaimed have no pedigree when searched for andnever put their playing where their mouth is!

cybermgk likes this.
  8. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

Yes, I'm cherry picking things because with my current rig I've had zero problems and I wouldn't want to retool my rig and all of the sudden I have to start worrying about problems that may pop up. I happen to like music that's not that popular so there aren't many videos showcasing what I'm into or looking for.

9. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Fair enough. As I have said a million times, I was more than happy with my rig too - 25 years on the same amp. It WAS a gamble and a risk. I chose NOT to go Fractal because (one reason only) it was WAY too expensive for me to gamble on. Yet, it appears that my fears were unfounded. It IS the king of hill. I went Helix, and honestly I have never looked back. I am happy with my choice, and it FAR exceeded my expectations. The risk was there, but I went ahead and gave it a shot. I figured I could return it if it sucked (like I was expecting).

I would say at this point the ONLY way you are gonna KNOW is if you buy it and try it. If you are serious about giving it a shot, buy it. Work with it. But, if you are still unsure and are unwilling to take the risk, then abandon the idea. Forget about it and just continue to be happy with your current rig. There is nothing wrong with that. There are a group of us here that can answer ALL your questions and give anecdotal evidence of the products - shoot, we could probably even walk you through any initial issues you have getting going with it. Frank, Cyber, and a couple other dudes use the Fractal all the time. Me? I am all about the Helix, and have helped quite a few guys get up and going with their Helix.

Also, you must have misread me at some point - your answer to my question wouldn't cause drama. I am all about eliminating drama and bull. My world is very simple - if you need help or have explicit direct question to help you, I am all about it. If you aren't serious or don't have direct question where you can be reassured or helped making a decision, then let it go. I have been a teacher for 21 years. I am ALL about helping people learn. I am also ALL about not wasting time if you really don't want to learn. That probably sounds WAY more dickish than it is meant to be, but it is just 100% to the point.

Live and let live, man. It's all good.

frankv and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  10. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

Spoken like a real educator (coming from a fellow teacher of 25 years--has it ever changed, or what, Brother).

I have decided that I am content with my tube amps, but I'm still interested in what y'alls have to say. Sheesh, i learn a lot visiting this area.

frankv and mmd like this.
  11. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

Anyway, back on topic, I'm wondering what signal they're sending to those 4x12s they've got on stage for when the guys 'get in the zone'. I totally get the idea behind it; they want to make the amps move the air the way a traditional amp would. It's part of the playing style.

But I presume those Fractals are running a range of cabinet simulations, too. Would they just send that signal - complete with cab sims - to the 4x12s? I could see that they might, on the grounds that stage sound is inherently messy and it might not make that much difference for their purpose. But I wonder if it's possible to run a 'scene' where you've got cabs simulated and send it to the FoH for the punters to hear, while simultaneously sending the same virtual rig MINUS the cabs to the on-stage 4x12s.

Are the outs on the Fractal able to do that sort of trickery?

12. tzd

tzd Senior Member

Yes Fractal is able to send a cab signal to PA, while simultaneously and separately sending un-cabbed signal to an actual cab.

frankv, Splattle101 and mmd like this.
  13. mmd

mmd Senior Member

THAT is cool. I wonder if I can do that with Helix. Would surprise me if I could, the routing is killer. Never thought to try because I am happy with the FRFR type rig.....hmmmm, looks like I have something to experiment with tomorrow!

frankv likes this.
  14. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

That's neat.

So thinking about this, they'd probably send the un-cabbed signal to those Matrix amps, and those then drive the 4x12s. The cabbed signal could then go straight to FoH. Is that what you think they're doing?

frankv likes this.
  15. tzd

tzd Senior Member

Fractal does it with the FX Loop. Basically you split the signal after your amp but before your cab, and one of it goes into the FX Loop. The FX Loop In is not used; the FX Loop out sends the uncabb'ed signal out to your power amp and cab.

Yes, that is probably what those Matrix power amps in the rack are for.

16. mmd

mmd Senior Member

AHHHHH, that makes perfect sense. Yeah, I can do that with the Helix too. Cool. I'l give it a shot in the morning. Thanks, man!

17. KenG

KenG Senior Member

Then just stop looking and use what you have and enjoy it! Your statement says you don't want to change and are worried about the unknown. Why knock yourself out about all this if it isn't for you. Lots of folks stick with traditional gear and aren't missing a thing,why should you be any different. While I won't tell where you should hang out there will come a time when folks will tire of your quieries and sitting on the sidelines. As I said before,... you can lead horse to water but you can't make 'em drink. If you ever do take the pliunge I'm sure folks here will be willing to assist with any issues you have but thiis has been several months of this asking questions then gettiing all negative like you just did. It's not our jobto sell or convince you, you can make up your own mind.

frankv and mmd like this.
  18. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

The techs from Metallica are actually members over at the FF, and every now and then they stop by and post some nuggets.
    They have shot their own IR's which they send to FOH, and as stated above they run out 2 without cab simulation to the matrix amps and mesa cabs.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    Rhust and frankv like this.
  19. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I'll give my honest opinion/perception. Specifically in this thread, you have come across to me (and I just read the whole thread) as taking every opportunity to poke holes at the Axe primarily. It has a bit of a 'trolling' taste to it because of that.

May be you are, on purpose, maybe you aren't. But, it DOES come across as if you are. More than a few of us are seeing/perceiving it that way. Maybe that isn't your intent. If so, then take this post and others like it as constructive criticism at how your posts are coming across to others..

mmd likes this.
  20. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

I don't feel like getting in a pissing match, but I do have one thing I'd like to say.

There is a classic rock band that everyone believes has a no nonsense approach to gear, guitar and amp. Supposed to be simple as apple pie. I watched their rig rundown. For a band that is supposed to be simple, they sure like to complicate things. The amount of rack gear the guitar goes through before the amps is staggering. For the amps, 9 Marshalls all on, backups for every one. They said they go through 60 amps a tour or so. Have a full time tech just to work on and repair amps.