Newest Metallica Rig Rundown

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Pwrmac7600, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

They use it strictly for warm ups on the road and touring. It doesn't seem to meet their standards for practicing at home and recording albums for whatever reason. I think Petrucci is the same way.

ht-57 likes this.
  2. NotScott

NotScott Premium Member

Am I the only one who sees the irony in a band based upon the "angry-bees-in-a-can" distorted to hell guitar sound concerned about "noise"? :dunno:

Splattle101 likes this.
  3. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

My old Spider III never had a problem switching between presets so it's disappointing when you hear about an expensive rig having lag issues. Every time I think about buying one, I read something that makes me take a step back and re think.

4. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

Most of their songs don't use a lot of distortion actually. Kirk does for leads but James really doesn't use that much gan. They do use clean quite a bit too.

5. NotScott

NotScott Premium Member

I have heard clean bits in places but, I am just not a fan and am only familiar with what I hear on radio and in passing. I have heard Kirk play without all the processing and he is capable. Regardless, the sound they are known for and what every Madison Square Bedroom wannabee is gunning for is that compressed, distorted, buzzy Mesa tone. It is a preference, I get it. It's just not my cup of tea.

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  6. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

tzd likes this.
  7. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Oh, silly me. It's not an endorsement afterall....

8. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

Frank, are you an older, newer, or both Metallica fan?

I like up through "Master" but "Kill em" is now probably my single fave.

mmd likes this.
  9. KenG

KenG Senior Member

I realise you don't have a technical background so I don't expect you to understand the complexity of the modeling and what that entails in the big rigs vs the basically simple modelling in a rig like a Spider. They do not operate the same. The high end models do offer delay, glitch free change options but when you invoke a totally new preset, virtually every parameter has to be reloaded from scratch and that's pretty extensive. As others have mentioned there are modes of operation in these units that don't do that and only update the differences between scenes/snapshots which is more likely to be needed during a song anyway.

I think behfore you spend your hard earned $$$ on a big rig you do more serious research. It's a big investment and I suspect you currently don't understand the tech well enough to pick it up on your own, and you'll be frustrated and end up disappointed. Do you anyone who owns one of these that can spend some time with you to show you some stuff?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    cybermgk, frankv and Caoimhin like this.
  10. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

Yes but the quality of the modeling in the spider III is nothing compared to the axe or helix. Losing up all of the algorithms contained in the new modeling tech takes a little longer to load up than that line 6 spider tech did. But like I said it's really a mute point because building your presents with scenes eliminates that lag.

frankv likes this.
  11. mmd

mmd Senior Member

I am (obviously, lol) not Frank....I am a HUGE fan of 'Kill 'em All". To me, it is really the ONLY Metallica album. However, certain records of theirs stand out to me as good albums. I am a fan of the Load/Reload-era....I compiled one GREAT album from the tunes on that pair. I was always a fan of "Lightning" but always hated "Puppets" and "Justice". Hated the Black album and "Death Magnetic", but like the last one (don't remember the name, it's on my phone) quite a bit. My absolute fav, aside from Kill 'em, is Garage Inc. The Mercyful Fate medley is killer. I have ALWAYS been a MASSIVE KD/MF fan (Pete Blakk lived near me for a while and we jammed a bit in the mid 2000s).

frankv and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  12. cherrysunburst00

Great stuff. I actually liked their cover of Sabbra Cadabra/A National Acrobat

13. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Hell yeah. Call me crazy, but I like their cover better than the original.

14. cherrysunburst00

Oh noooo. I can't say that :eek: but the fact that i approve of a cover of my fave band speaks volumes

mmd likes this.
  15. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

Don't think a higher quality piece of equipment should function better than something of lower quality? If these high end modelers lag then it sounds like they have some serious improvements to make, especially for what they charge.

16. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

Kill 'em All is their best album but I do like Ride The Lightning too. I'm not a huge fan of any of the other albums but they all have some good riffs except Saint Anger.

The Black Album wasn't great in my opinion but again it had some good riffs.

Justice sounded like shit but this was good.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    Rhust likes this.
  17. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

Yeah, it's part of the deal. I get that and work with it and around it myself. It's just interesting to see the difference in the complexity of a massive international production, and the sheer support the players have and need.

Like Franky said, it's orchestrated.

I can see why artists get jack of it eventually, too. After a while it would become a constraint, having to play things a certain way or risk losing the production team and precipitating a monumental cluster. They'd have to work hard to keep it fresh and interesting or it would become a chore. As I said, it's a different world.

frankv likes this.
  18. frankv

Man, I don't know. I am not really a "follow the band" kind of guy. I just like music. If I like it it matters not what the album or band. When it come to musical tastes and guitar playing I tend to gravitate to Joe Satriani, Steve Vai and John Petrucci. That playing style I like. However, as I have said. It matters not what the band or album is. If I like the tune I like it.

19. frankv

You would NEVER detect a lag in an AXE FX in anything you ever played in your bedroom or on a stage. Do you get Metallica is playing at stupid high volumes in a stadium. Even a freaking single millisecond matters.

Did you know that the Music Man Majesty has an electronic pickup selector. Why? Because John detected a delay when he would switch the mechanical blade type selector switch found in damn near every guitar made.. Why do I know this? Because I had a Music Man Majesty.

cybermgk likes this.
  20. frankv

They also have to prove their worth to the band. Real or not.