Newest Metallica Rig Rundown

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Pwrmac7600, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

rjudo, ht-57, QuicksilverSS and 3 others like this.
  2. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

They've been using Fractal on tours for awhile now. In the studio it's a different story.

3. Pwrmac7600

True on all accounts. Just posted because It was the most recent live rig rundown.

4. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

Thing I don't understand is why are they using two units at the same time? One for dirty and one clean but can't you get away using one? I see he runs two models at the same time so how many rigs can you run simultaneously?

5. KenG

KenG Senior Member

If you watch the video you'll see the tech was worried about switching delays between presets, so he has both set up and just switches between them. Not sure if that concern is valid not owning one myself. Dual amps at the same time are possible in the AXE FXII, Helix & Helix LT. Not on the AX8 and noton the Kemper IIRC.

Rhust likes this.
  6. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

Didn't know Kirk Hammet has Peter Green's burst.

Bloody complicated rigs. Tnx for posting.

7. Splattle101

They're worried about switching 'noise' or dropouts.
    [EDIT]didn't see Ken's answer.[EDIT]

8. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

I would like to think that there shouldn't be any delay between settings with a $2250 processor. I was just reading about people experiencing lag on the AX8.

9. Pwrmac7600

It's actually no more complicated than the analog version of the same rig.
    Before the fractal James world run a diezel and boogie simultaneously for his dirty tone, and a Roland jc120 for his clean. Same amount of switching involved.

10. Splattle101

I wasn't making any comparison to a non-modelled rig, I was just observing that it's really complicated. To be honest, I was first struck by the amount of infrastructure and effort they have to put into their wireless arrangements, and how that complicates the lives of the techies.

For me, these sorts of run-downs highlight the extent to which the techies and crew are 'playing' the gig almost as much as the performers themselves. It's the same whether it's EVH, ZZ Top, The Black Keys or these guys. The techs are doing stuff during the songs - switching effects and amps etc - that are part of the standard chores the average working guitar player has to do on the fly by themselves.

It's such a different world.

11. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

It's all orchestrated.

12. frankv

What an endorsement for AXE FX... The biggest band in metal counts on them. I think it's probably good enough for anyone on this bloated site.

cybermgk, mmd and Rhust like this.
  13. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

hell the black keys tech plays on stage with them too on a few songs the last time I watched their rundown... so he had to do some of the switching and setup, and then grab a guitar, then jump back into tech duty with out missing a cue

14. mmd

mmd Senior Member

I was smiling the whole time the techs were talking about the consistency. While I am NOWHERE (never will even be in the realm of opening for an opener that once opened for Metallica) near that level, I thought it was awesome how the techs were talking about all the same reasons I made the switch. It really has made life SOOOO much better on stage - not just for me and my bandmates, but the sound guys and the audience too.

That was a cool run-down. Glad I watched it.

frankv likes this.
  15. frankv

And don't forget those awesome Matrix GT1000FX power amps that we often recommend right here. TOP shelf stuff. AXE and Matrix.. Heaven.

mmd likes this.
  16. mmd

mmd Senior Member

I can' speak for the Fractal since I don't have one, but when the Helix came out it had a switching lag. I was PISSED!!!!!!!! As a home player it wouldn't be the end of the world, but onstage I need things to switch with NO lag for sections of the songs. Line 6 fixed the problem with snapshots - you can make "mini-presets" with the main the preset. It changed that issue and made the Helix BEYOND usable live.

I would be STUNNED if Fractal had any lag in their flagship product.

17. Pwrmac7600

I use to tech for a larger regional band in my younger days back in Chicago and I did all of his switching and effects off stage as well. Granted it was nowhere near that scale but I had to know the songs very well to get it all flowing right.

frankv and mmd like this.
  18. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Oh, totally. If I was even REMOTELY interested in still lugging a big cab, the Matrix would be amp of choice. it's cool to see a MEGA band utilizing this gear to such ends. The amount of technology those guys are utilizing is stunning.

frankv likes this.
  19. Pwrmac7600

Axefx is the same, which is why they have scenes within the preset, between scenes and x/y on most of the blocks uninterrupted switching is a reality.

mmd and frankv like this.
  20. frankv

Whats cool is we are playing the same stuff (tech wise) that Metallica is.

cybermgk and mmd like this.