Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bootsydog, Jan 22, 2017.

1. bootsydog

bootsydog Junior Member

Hi, I'm new to the forum and am starting a Les Paul Jr build. It will be my first build from scratch. Building the neck from scratch is a major worry if anyone has any tips they could pass on ie size of wood needed, order of construction ect many thanks.

2. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Welcome aboard.

3. Whoopysnorp

Whoopysnorp Senior Member

Nice to meet you, but this thread probably belongs in the Luthier's Corner section.

4. bootsydog

bootsydog Junior Member

Hi. I am new to the forum and am hoping to build my first guitar from scratch after having built a couple of kit guitars. I have plans to make a single cut les Paul Jr guitar. Any help with size of wood blank for neck. I have a blank size in mind but not sure if I have worked it out correctly. Many thanks.

5. bootsydog

bootsydog Junior Member

Hi Whoopysnorp. Following your advice I have moved thread to the Luthier's Corner section.

6. Whoopysnorp

Whoopysnorp Senior Member

Easy mistake. Those of us who hang out here could tell you plenty about vintage Tokai vs. Greco models, but for the most part we're clueless when it comes to what you're up to. You'll get some good tips over in the luthier section.

7. cs51762

cs51762 Senior Member

8. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

Moved & Merged

9. tonedragon

tonedragon Senior Member

Welcome, This is a good place to learn tricks if the trade and get advice from fellow builders. First rule is pics or it didnt happen.

10. bootsydog

bootsydog Junior Member

Thank's guys. Just starting to make my templates.

Attached Files:

11. strömsborg

strömsborg Member

Hello bootsydog, we are in the same boat here; being new members and building a Junior.
    I have no intention of hijacking you thread but I will certainly follow it.

I'm using this incredibly detailed and comprehensive blueprint:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/gxzbb6524doqtn0/Double%20Cut%20LP%20Jr.pdf
    No real progress yet other than having ordered the wood blanks for body, neck and fretboard, pondering the specs and collecting tools.

What are your thoughts around the bridge and its placing?

12. bootsydog

bootsydog Junior Member

Hi Stromsborg. At the min my only thoughts on bridge placement are to make sure it is parallel to the neck by extending the neck with straight edges then measuring the place ment from the plan to make sure the bridge is placed correctly.

13. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Keep in mind that you have to compensate the centering of the bridge studs to allow for the angle that the strings come off of it.

14. strömsborg

strömsborg Member

What I can deduce from the plans I use is that the bridge should be rotated with the treble side 0.15625" (~4mm) closer to the nut and the bass side of course 0.15625" away.
    Then to compensate to make the strings come off the bridge at the right place the entire bridge should be moved upwards by 0.125" (~3.2mm).
    On the original 50s guitars the bridge was even more off center, apparently modern strings needs less compensation.

With a modern compensated lightning bar or adjustable bridge it could be mounted straight, which would look pretty strange and of course wouldn't be vintage correct.

15. emoney

emoney Senior Member

It will be a lot easier if you can devise a way to suspend the bridge in place, prior to mounting
    the studs, and actually tune and intonate the guitar after it's "in the white". In-the-white,
    of course, referring to a practically completed/playable guitar without any finish on it.
    You'll find several helpful threads on ideas that others came up with to do just that.

A google search should very quickly locate you a dimension list to help you with what sized
    blanks to pick up for each part; i.e. body/top/neck. If you want to find threads of different
    builds, add "my les paul" to your Google searches if you can't seem to find it using the search
    feature here in the forum. When you actually begin, try and detail each step with pictures.
    A hosting site is often better because it allows you to drop multiple pics into your post
    as you go. That's the best way to get the most responses and the better advice.

Good luck and we'll be eagerly watching your progress.

16. bootsydog

bootsydog Junior Member

HI Stromsborg, It is a while since I have posted as I have just moved house and have been a bit busy as a result. On the guitar I am building the base side of the bridge is 6.2mm further back than the treble side using a stop tail bridge, the original guitar had a non compensated stop bar bridge. The centre line of the bridge being 24mm from the bottom edge of the pick up. I am also changing the plan from a single cut to a double cut as I like the look of the double cut guitar better than the single.

17. fatdaddypreacher

fatdaddypreacher V.I.P. Member

welcome top the forum. you will get all the help you need here, either directly or indirectly, as there are many build threads that cover any aspect of a build you should encounter. i would suggest studying some of these threads before cutting wood, as there is a wealth of info that will help keep you from re-inventing the wheel.

don't be too intimidated with all of this, as it's only wood, and trees make more than you can use.:) enjoy yourself.

18. bootsydog

bootsydog Junior Member

HI, I have been making templates with MDF and am not a fan due to the dust ect. Has anyone used hardboard to make templates and if so how has it worked with a router. Many thanks.

19. SlingBlader

SlingBlader Premium Member

I use hardboard frequently to make templates. If you use it, be sure to get tempered hardboard. It's way more durable. I still harden the edges with thin CA just like I do with MDF templates to increase durability.

The drawback with hardboard is the thickness, or rather the thin-ness. You won't have as much flexibility with regard to your router bearing placement. On the other hand, the thin-ness is great to use hardboard templates to mark and lay out parts, etc.

20. paulmarr

paulmarr Senior Member

I made the mistake of thinking a Les Paul neck would be the same as the double cut LP Jnr but on further inspection I was wrong - the LP Jnr needs a bigger blank (tenon is bigger)