newbie question - Les Paul neck fit adjustments-

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Fabio75, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Fabio75

Fabio75 Junior Member

Hi all,
    I'm Fabio and i am from Italy. As a complete newbie I've start my first project with a quite cheap LP kit. After spending hours reading tons of stuff on the net, finally I've found this valuable forum.
    Now, after a lot of sanding and cleaning the mahogany body, I'm almost ready for gum in the neck.
    The fit is pretty tight and it is very straight to the body.....but the question is: should I do something to eliminate that little gap in between the fretboard and the body itself or I can left it like that?it is something like 1mm, maybe less. See the pictures.

Thanks to everyone would help me in this!.
    IMG_5114.JPG IMG_5115.JPG IMG_5119.JPG
    Ciao,
    F.

2. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Take a look at this video of my LP build.

The perfection of the neck/body joint is something that cannot be understated.
    So yes, take your time, make it fit perfectly. Take care that you don't distort or round over mating edges. I can see it happening already in your first picture.

failsafe306 likes this.
  3. Fabio75

Fabio75 Junior Member

Hi Freddy,
    thank you for your reply, I've enjoy your video..great work!
    Yes, I've already make a mistake with that edge ! I should fix with some wood filler (I know ...too bad!).
    So..okay, i'll make it fit. Is is better to work on the neck instead of the pocket then?

Thank you again.
    F.

4. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

If the sholders of the neck a perfectly square to each other and at the correct angle to the body dont touch the neck tenon. You can carefully remove material from the bottom of the neck pocket to lower the fretboard to the body. And you can correct the fitment on the sides of the neck by adjusting the upper bout side of the body. Basically you need to make the front of the body flat and square to the neck, usually thus is done before routing for binding but since this is a kit the binding is already on the body. Take caution not to adjust it too much or the binding will look too thin on the upper bout. We are taking about removing less the a millimeter of material off the upper side, I'd do this with a good flat scrapper, and a super sharp chisel to remove a small amount of material and flatten the bottom of the neck pocket.
    Wood filler should be avoided at all costs if possible.

5. Fabio75

Fabio75 Junior Member

Thanks.
    Yes , i'd like to avoid using the wood filler but since i made that messy with the edge, i believe it will be the only way to fix (or maybe is there a special trick?). The sides of the pocket looks straight, i believe it don't need any adjustment. It wold be easier working on the neck but maybe is more "correct" to adjust the pocket bottom. I'll try with a small scraper.
    Since this is my first attempt, i don't expect a perfect result but i'd like to learn all the tricks to getting closer!

F.

6. Fabio75

Fabio75 Junior Member

Ok , done!
    i've fix the gap as suggested and check the angles so the next step in gluing up the neck!
    However i'm facing a new issue: I've removed the original crappy plastic nut and the thin rosewood in the middle has come off (too much superglue, I guess).
    See pictures.
    My question is: should I fix that gap with some new bit of wood fixing it on the sides with some titebond or so?
    let me know!
    Thanks,
    F.

Attached Files:

7. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

The nut will be on top....so you can probably get away with not doing anything