Newbie here: Which Epiphone LP to buy?

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by gaust024, Feb 27, 2018.

1. gaust024

gaust024 Junior Member

Hey everyone,

I'm a beginner/intermediate guitarist and I've been looking to buy an Epiphone Les Paul for quite a while now. However, I've been wondering which model would be the best fit for me. I'm actually looking at the Epiphone Les Paul Tributes and thinking that they would be a great fit, I love how they actually use Gibson pickups in the guitar. I've also been browsing eBay and Craigslist for deals but I've noticed that a lot of the Tributes there are labeled "Tribute Plus" and most of the model years from the serial numbers indicate that they were made in 2003. Do these guitars hold up well over time? Would it be better to buy a brand new Tribute from Guitar Center or am I taking a risk from buying a used Tribute/Tribute Plus?

I'm located in MN and I've found a couple guitars on Craigslist, one person is selling his 2003 Epiphone Les Paul Tribute for around $600. My dilemma is that I could save money by buying used, but I think I would prefer a brand new guitar (currently selling for $750 at GC). If anyone has any advice on this subject and model of Epiphones please let me know!!

2. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

Hi,

welcome here @ MyLesPaul

Tribute Plus is the newer generation with nice veneers covering the real maple cap

none of those Tribute or Tribute Plus models had been made in 2003
    they were introduced later, end of 2009

That's the result of the dumb guitar-un-dater I guess

and yes, they are great bang for the buck...

EpiWeb_Tribute800x620.jpg

Homebrw, JohnnyN, sasquatch and 3 others like this.
  3. fumblefinger

fumblefinger Senior Member

^^ What he said!^^

4. WaywerdSon

WaywerdSon Senior Member

The guitar in my avatar is a Trib + VSB. The thing is awesome. It is probably the best value in single-cut guitars on the market. They dont get dperciated much used because they are such a deal that nobody is in a hurry to sell.

5. EmBit

EmBit Junior Member

Don’t be afraid on used guitars. Just go and check, play for a while (which I never did:hmm:). If it suits You – take it and have some extra $ on amp or effects. If not, search again:fingersx:

6. chupe442

chupe442 Confused as ever..... Premium Member

:welcome:Dont be afraid of used.. Depending on where you are in MN, there is a huge used gear market in the Twin Cities area. Spending 600 on a used EPI to me seems insane unless there is something pretty righteous about it. Paruwi, may put a hex on me for saying that but there is so much out there for so much less. Good luck, have fun, lets us know what you came up with!

7. scrumm21

scrumm21 Silver Supporter

Welcome to MLP.... !

the Epi Tribute Plus is an Excellent LP !!
    I do miss my Midnight Sapphire Trib +
    (sold it a year ago to fund other purchases )
    Used is a great option
    New is a great option

8. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

Or the people trying to sell them as used Tribs+ to squeeze another couple hundred over what a used Standard would go for. I paid a little over 600$ for my Trib+ brand new in 2013.

9. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Old School Premium Member

Welcome to the MLP :)
    I guess $600 is okay if it is in mint condition, and not tampered with. But the last $150 is well spend for a brand new one, with warranty and all.

10. elephantrider

elephantrider Senior Member

don't forget to check out the traditional pro models as well. fantastic
    guitars.

xland and howardlo like this.
  11. gsmacleod

gsmacleod Senior Member

I'm a huge fan of used; haven't purchased a new Epi Lester since 2001. You can save quite a bit if you know what you're doing and are patient. However, you do need to know what you're looking for, common things to look for to ID fakes as well as what to check to make sure you're getting what you're paying for. In that case, you're probably better off buying new.

As to what to buy, you really can't go wrong with anything in the lineup; find one that you like the tone of, the feel of the neck, the weight of the guitar and the finish and you'll be all set.

Shane

12. gaust024

gaust024 Junior Member

Wow guys, thanks for all of the great advice! I'm a beginner when it comes to components and stuff on Les Pauls, but I've playing seriously for a few years now.

What do you guys think of this guitar? Are Gotoh bridge and tail pieces desirable? Do they produce a decent sound? Better than the stock bridge that comes on the LP Tribute? He's asking $650 OBO.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338014323&icep_item=292467025110

If the link doesn't work, the item number is 292467025110

13. gsmacleod

gsmacleod Senior Member

FWIW - I got my T+ used for $400; at the time they were selling new here for $899. A couple of minor dings but overall very good to great condition.

Most of my used guitars I've gotten for 50% or less of new except for a couple that were rare and highly desirable (to me) so I was willing to pay a little more.

Shane

14. freak

freak Silver Supporter

with epiphone.jpg Trad pro. $499 Brand new. 57 pick ups, and yes, gig worthy.

xland likes this.
  15. freak

freak Silver Supporter

Same guitar, better lighting. Price was marked as a 'dent and ding'. I got a better deal than that on it anyway. I'd like 1 or 2 more.

epiphone.jpg

16. gaust024

gaust024 Junior Member

I'm negotiating with the guy selling it on eBay and I think I'm going to be able to buy it for $500 bucks! I think it's a good deal considering the price of the guitar new. And I know that I'll love it, I've been looking for the midnight black finish too so it would be awesome.

17. Zard

Zard Member

Welcome here. I clicked on your link and that guitar was sold. So... Was you the buyer?

I have a 2014 Tribute+. Bought it new for $760 Canadian in '14. Totally satisfied. Don't forget to get or do a REAL "setup". These babies often need fine tuning to reach their true potential.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018