New Zealand strikes again.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Not_Rob, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Not_Rob

Not_Rob Junior Member

So, what have we here? A bloke in a shed.
    It'll be fun working out how to use the text editor and embedding all my rubbish.

Anywhore.

The market for a decent les paul in little old new zealand is finicky at the best of times. I have had a couple gibbos, but they're all gone.
    I once tried to recall how many guitars I'd had. I managed to write down about 57 before my head started to hurt. This was mid 2014.

The current stable is as follows:

Star of the show, 1994 Korean Epiphone goldtop:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The headstock is a custom jobbie I did in the shed. The guitar is so far removed from actually being an epiphone les paul it just isn't funny.
    I think the switch and its little mounting nut thing are the only original parts (along with the body and neck woods, and finish, but I've even played with that). These aren't the most recent photos, so the "final touches" haven't been added yet. It is currently off for a refret. List of mods that aren't obvious:
    Gotoh bridge and stoptail, nickel,
    Kluson flashy tulip tuners, nickel,
    Entwistle HV58 alnico 2 paf style pickups, nickel (notice a theme?),
    Random whack job 0.015 soviet paper in oil capacitors (the oil lubes up the tone so it goes faster),
    Pull neck tone for neck parallel (down for series),
    Pull bridge tone for bridge parallel (down for series),
    50s style wiring,
    Bone nut,
    Big chunky jack,
    gold speeds instead of the yuck ass amber tophats,
    New frets will be jumbos,
    god knows what the pickguard is off (old tokai I think?) But I whacked a camel logo on, cuz camel were mean in the 70s.

I bought this guitar for my then- girlfriend in late 2010. She had gold hair and liked the LP shape.
    I restrung it, played it a bit, and subsequently didn't give it to her :D
    I sold it to a friend of mine in mid 2012 as a broke student.
    I bought it back off the same bloke in mid 2016 basically as a husk with some bits, and now we are here.

Oh, and I put these on it:

[​IMG]

Here's a video of it. This is the first headstock job I did, so it isn't very good. It is also pre-series/parallel.

Next up is my go to guitar: 2018 SE santana.

[​IMG]
    This is the day I got it.
    Now, it looks like this:

[​IMG]

Yip, this one's modded too. Pull the tone up for a phase reverse. I added the dimarzio cream tophats because they matched the pickup rings. Not bad for the colour blind guy eh! Pictured with it is my new and current amp: a bandit 112. I could bang on about all the valve amps I've had since I've been playing (jcm8/900, two twins, 2 ac30s, blah blah blah) but at the end of the day this does what I want and I'm happy with it.
    Anywhore.
    Always loved the double cut LP shape.
    A friend of mine had been rabbiting on at me for literally years to try out an se.
    One of our chain shops had a sale, nek minit, he's bought me this.

Right, who's next.
    My first real guitar. Fender '60s classic tele, 2005.
    Pictured with my old vk212 and bass head.

[​IMG]

Similar to the goldtop, the only original parts to this are the tuners, string tree, body and neck woods, neck plate, and the sticker. I had it refretted with huge frets in late 2012.
    It began life as a vintage white model. In mid 2016 I was bored of that and refinished in a sorta lake placid blue top with dark stained sides. I wasn't happy with it, so now the whole thing is stained. I think the colour is called dark rimu. The pickups are GFS lil puncher whatever lowest output ones are. Push pull coil split has been removed, and in its place is a dirty old 100k tone pot for the lols. Bone nut, top loading bridge plate, wilkinson compensated saddles, 7.25" radius (my favourite). Had it more than 10 years.

Here's the amp just for the fuck of it:

And lastly, an oldie I have just managed to get to play again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1983 Aria pro 2 CS250. Weird ass double cut thing from the matsumoku factory.

Basically I bought this as a husk with bits missing and covered in shit.
    All the original parts I took off are in a box (safe!)
    I have replaced the tuners (old ones were bollocksed), bridge (3.7 of the saddles were missing), all the electrics bar the 3 way toggle (duno if it went), jack (don't ask), given it a fret level and dress and a basic setup.
    My high school had one. I tried to buy it off my music teacher some years after I left.
    Didn't happen.
    Nostalgiurbated over this and bought it, and now we are here, and now I hope I don't have to get rid of it.

So yeah.

Those are my guitars.

My pedalboard is... Well, pretty basic - The whole thing runs happily in the effects loop of my bandit, just as it did the valveking.

Guitar >> bandit
    FX send >> bass big muff (normal setting) >> BBE opto stomp (first version) >> Boss TU3 >> Boss DD20 >> FX return
    I built a simple two button switch for the amp too. I don't use the compressor much now.

Not pictured is a 1980 Aria sg copy bass (in red, but more dings than colour).
    Short scale, single neck single coil in a humbucker box (weird), and in dire need of new frets. :D It was a present from my mother (like the tele) when I graduated university.
    Also not pictured is a mid '00's fender small body and short scale acoustic. It is pink, and has a single fender F inlay at the 12th fret. My mother also got me this for my 23rd birthday some years ago now.

My other hobbies include actually playing the damn guitars, getting on/in/under my car, drinking, and pretending to be a recording artist.
    Some days I volunteer at my local cinema (small town) and opshop for something to do.
    I have either "got playing" or completely restored a couple guitars for the guy at my local shop too, along with dealing to peoples' cars, lawnmowers, and dishwashers of all things.

If you enjoy the videos, great.
    I'm sure I will get around to posting my music at some stage.

So yeah, how's that for an intro post?

Harmony, lakeburst, JCarno and 2 others like this.
  2. JonCanfield

JonCanfield Platinum Supporter Premium Member

3. DarrellV

DarrellV About as sharp as a bowlin' ball! Silver Supporter Premium Member

[​IMG]

Not_Rob likes this.
  4. fleahead

fleahead Senior Member

Ahhhh, the home of the Almighty Johnsons

5. bungle

bungle Premium Member

6. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

Welcome to MLP :applause:

Enjoy the fun and information :thumb:

7. Not_Rob

Not_Rob Junior Member

I am a little concerned that everyone keeps saying MLP...

[​IMG]

Harmony likes this.
  8. NotScott

NotScott Silver Supporter

Welcome to the Legion of Not! :cheers2:

9. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

Great post!!!!!!!!!!
    Great gits!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Great user name!!!!!!!
    Welcome from Texas.

Not_Rob likes this.