[NEW] Vintage V100 or [USED] Yamaha SL-550s

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by MikeV, Jan 22, 2010.

1. MikeV

MikeV Junior Member

After about a month of lurking, i finally decided to make an account here =D

I've been itching to get my first budget LP for ah wile now (i'm a novice at guitars in general btw), and after weeks upon weeks of rummaging through the depths of the internet, I've decided on two guitars.

At first I'd had been reading reviews about the Vintage V100 around the internet, and how (apparently) amazing it is for a budget price.

The ''musicroom.com'' are selling them for 219 Pounds:

Vintage: V100 Series Electric Guitar (Cherry Sunburst) at Musicroom.com - Instruments & Accessories

Pic:

[​IMG]

And then, i started reading on about how INSANELY GOOD Japan made guitars were, and i started lusting after Tokai's only to find that they were a tad too expensive for me at the moment ='( Although I'm definitely planning to get one sooner or later. So instead, i started looking for the cheapest MIJ guitar i could find haha.

After much soul searching through the like of sites such as Ebay, i've managed to find a MIJ ''Yamaha Studio Lord SL-550s'' from the 80's for 350 Pounds.

Seeing as the seller disabled right click so i can't get a picture, i'll link

linkz0r: YAMAHA SL-550s 'Studio Lord' Tobacco SB Guitar MIJ 80s - eBay (item 220543661403 end time Jan-30-10 05:35:45 PST)

What is everyone's thoughts on this? The Yamaha is a obviously a great guitar, but that's more expensive, and its used. Whereas the Vintage V100 is cheaper, is brand new, and is also supposed to be a incredible guitar. Sorry if i don't know much, i'm kind of new at this =(

(P.S I live in Australia, the reason why i'm importing them is because guitars over here are INSANELY overpriced.)

Really nice site going on here, I hope you all welcome me and i'll try to stick around.

Cheers =D

Edit: Bidding on SL-550s has ended ='( guess i'll continue to look around for a good MIJ guitar at a low price. Any suggestions?

2. mono

mono Senior Member

Welcome!

You are among friends here, the world of MIJ has recently grabbed me too and there are bargains to be had!
    I've been thinking about the Vintage too, but have yet to take the plunge.

3. Annoying Twit

Annoying Twit Senior Member

Why not a second hand V100?

Edit: D'oh! You're in Australia. Prolly not too many of them around down there.

What are the relative prices between the two guitars after you've added on carriage and taxes/costs?

4. mojo hobo

mojo hobo Senior Member

HellO MIKEV ,WELCOME TO MY LES PAUL FORUM There are few aussies on the forum!
    PERSONALLY, It depends what you want from a guitar,will it be just a stop gap and then as you advance as player ,you might want to upgrade to a better guitar!
    So the quality of the guitar is the key point,you can do it like the above or go do it the other way round, buy a quality guitar from the start.
    If you follow the first road you buy the vintage which i believe is a fantastic guitar for the money,the materials etc for price cannot be beaten IMHO
    You Will not get a return equal to its value when you brought it if you sell it .
    If you take the second road ,you buy the yamaha ,I think the yammy is a belter of a guitar and it will always be better than the "vintage" Plus you it should hold its value.
    I have not played a yamaha studio lord ,so maybe someone else will with one will post.....
    I WOULD GO FOR THE YAMAHA ,REAL MOJO IN THEM GRAINS OF WOOD!A REAL VINTAGE MIJ FIRST PURCHASE. :dude:

REMEMBER TO ADD SHIPPING AND ANY TAXES /DUTY

MOJO HOBO

5. MikeV

MikeV Junior Member

Thanks for the replies so far, it really helps :thumb:

The overall cost for the guitars with the shipping added are as follows:

Yamaha SL-550s: 350 Pounds + 93 Pounds for shipping (The fastest method) = 443 Pounds in total, which is Equivalent to 793 AUD

If shipped by sea freight, it costs 45 Pounds.

Vintage V100: 219 Pounds + 38.99 Pounds for shipping = 257.99 Pounds, Equivalent to 460.45 AUD

The Vintage V100 comes a few hundred dollars cheaper, but since the Yamaha also comes with a hard case which usually go for at least 100 AUD, it isn't THAT bad.

This excludes extra fees for customs and whatnot though.

We don't have too much choice online over here in Australia, and the cheapest NEW Vintage V100 ICON was going for $849.15 =(

6. Annoying Twit

Annoying Twit Senior Member

Are there many MIJ second hand guitars in Australia? When I was growing up in New Zealand, I played some bass as a teenager. I had a MIJ Ibanez Artist bass. When I recently checked how much it would cost to get another one for sentimental reasons, I found it would cost me £800!!!!!! I'm sure a friend at Auckland uni had a Yamaha SG. Weren't there many MIJ guitars imported into Australia?

I'm not expecting to say anything really useful here (see username), but I'd probably go for the Yamaha if it were me and money wasn't tight. If the Vintage is a relatively unknown brand, it may be difficult to resell. You'll know your market better than me. But then, it's your money I'm speaking of, not my own.

7. MikeV

MikeV Junior Member

Hmm yeah, there are quite a few MIJ guitars up for auction on ebay.au, but generally they are more expensive than importing =(

Thanks for the input, i'm leaning more towards the Yamaha at the moment, seeing as it would probably be better in long run.