New used Epiphone Day!!!

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by BadPenguin, Mar 2, 2017.

1. BadPenguin

BadPenguin Senior Member

Hey all,
    Let me preface this by stating for the record, I have never been the biggest fan of Epiphones. (I have friends who play them, and I associate with them, does that count? :)) I have a good Epiphone, a 79 Genesis Deluxe, and a couple of crappy acoustics. BUT I have been seriously looking at the Inspired By 55 Pauls. (Something about a goldtop with P90's makes me giddy.) I have always felt that at best, Epi's were "okish" IF I wanted to put the work in.

That attitude changed the other day when I found this poor neglected beast in a local pawn shop I rarely visit. A 1995 Samick built Sheraton II. Dirty, dusty, grimy, covered in smoke, tobacco and otherwise :slash:, some kind of stuff growing on the metal bits, and just sad. My first thought was something akin too... "Ohh, a project to flip." Then I picked it up, and felt the heft. It's weighty, and I like that in a guitar. A mental box was ticked. Old flatwound strings greeted my hand when I gave a test strum, and it was surprising in tune. AND toneful. I could feel the chord resonate thru my fret hand. Ok, another box was ticked.

When I plugged it in, I was even more impressed. EVEN thru the Behringer amp (gag) it had tone. TONS of tone thru that glorious neck pickup! I immediately started with jazz riffs and chords, and felt the guitar respond. After some bargaining, well, SERIOUS bargaining, that even my wife was impressed with, took this home for 250 with case! The pics are after the initial cleaning. It needs a LOT more!:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Who likes this.
  2. Caretaker

Caretaker Premium Member

Congrats!!!
    Great guitars, and the Inspired by 55 is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

3. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

Love it!

HNGD :)

4. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

Very cool!

5. mandobandit

mandobandit Senior Member

very nice I have been eyeing several hollow body epis myself

6. The Notorious DJ

The Notorious DJ Member

Looks great man! I haven't trusted Pawn Shops since a local shop here in Australia also got caught (by online forums anyway) that they were selling a Chibson and advertised it as a Gibson Les Paul circa 80s :eek: To us it was an obvious fake, but to the unknown god knows how much they paid.

But I'm keen to go in again and see what I find. Well done on the Sheraton catch

7. BadPenguin

BadPenguin Senior Member

I've lost count of the chibson I have seen in pawn shops, and each and every time, I point it out to the manager. if it's still there two days later, I call the head office, and bitch professionally about how dare they sell a known fake. I have had 3 managers fired from 2 different stores for allowing their people to buy them, without checking.

8. charlie chitlins

charlie chitlins Senior Member

Don't think I ever saw a bridge like that on an Epi.
    Sort of like the Gibson harmonica from the 70s.

9. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

'95 Samick made Sheraton...

[​IMG]

10. charlie chitlins

charlie chitlins Senior Member

They put the E on backwards on lefties?!

11. Kong

Kong Senior Member

Nice score. I dig it, I had a Korean made Dot that was absolutely killer. I think some of the older Asian Epis are hit or miss on the "it" factor. And this is coming from an a guy that just LOVES Epiphones.

I bought a few used Les Paul Standards over the years that looked stunning but just didn't do it for me for one reason or another, either never felt quite right or had the tone I want. I have a 08 LP Custom that was made in China that is an amazing player that I will never part with. Oh yeah and it looks better (fit and finish) than a couple Gibson Customs that I checked out at the time which were 6x the price.

12. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

Congrats and HNGD!

What a great guitar... and for $250... a no brainer.

Now, no more looking down your nose at Epis! ;)

13. Cozmik Cowboy

Cozmik Cowboy Senior Member

A twin to my '92! Congrats - this, not cheap LPs, is what Epi is all about. Welcome to the family.