new tuners for a 2016 LP Traditional ?

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by mandobandit, Dec 4, 2017.

1. mandobandit

mandobandit Senior Member

hello folks
    back in August I purchased 1 of the AMS closeout 2016 Les Pauls, love the guitar in particular the neck, it is close in feel (roundness)to the big necks on my Collings and Kopp acoustics.
    Two weeks in swapped out switch tip, back control cavity plates for smooth ones,plain truss rod cover, and amber top hats, with nickle pointers, I also installed the complete locking Faber bridge and stop tail kit.
    I am now thinking of replacing the snot green Gibson tuners with single ring cream colored Kluson style tuners, thinking Faber, or maybe Creamtone.
    Anyone have comment on either or another brand, what to watch for, ease of swap, potential problems etc.?
    The current ones have the hex head style face plate bushing is it possible the holes a large enough for Grover style milkbottle tuners?
    thank you for any and all input
    Fred

2. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

If you don't like 'snot-green', you can just replace the tips.

3. mandobandit

good thought thank you, also thinking that a swap could be a improvement in function, I realize that different is not always better

4. NHDave

NHDave Senior Member

I recently replaced tuners on a couple of gibson Memphis guitars and went with lightly aged gotoh (gotoh actually does the aging who IMHO will do less damage to the inners than the typical aftermarket relic guy). Gotoh does not have kluson on marked on the rear but I thought they had a nice solid feel with less slip than (IMHO at least) than what was on there.

5. jeff_farkas

jeff_farkas Senior Member

I replaced the tuners on my LP and ES-339 since I couldn't change the tops and they really were cheap.

6. mandobandit

jeff what did you replace with?

7. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

To be honest, the two times I replaced tuners I just asked the sales guy at the guitar shop.
    If you buy locally, I'm sure the sales guy can help you out.

Otherwise I'd buy from an on-line place that has good phone service.
    Although I have never purchased anything from them, I have called Stew-Mac and asked them questions, and received great service.

Is your 2016 Traditional a "T"
    I believe that the tuners on those are only 14:1 and for me, after using 18:1 tuners, just doesn't cut it. I recommend at least a 16:1 ratio if you are replacing them.

Good luck