New to Reissues

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by flamesarewicked, Dec 5, 2017.

1. flamesarewicked

flamesarewicked Senior Member

over the past years Ive owned some really nice LPs. they've ranged from a 17 Blueberry burst, 86 Custom, 00 Classic, and currently and my favorite so far is my 13 Traditional. As much as I do enjoy it.

where does one go from here? R8, R9, R0?

ive casually looked into them... looked at what they sell for used. peoples opinions on how they feel, sound, taste, smell, weigh, yadda yadda yadda...

my 13 Trad has a real thick neck. the thickest ive owned thus far. how does the R8 and R9 compare? of the R models..which one is the most affordable in the used market? kinda feels like moving to the Reissue models is like the "Graduation day" for Les Pauls. When I do pick up one and play it for the first time, will I just be totally blown away? I'm thinking possibly a R9 but an R0 wouldn't be bad either with the slimmer neck.

anyhow.. any advice is welcomed.

2. musicmaniac

musicmaniac Senior Member

I've got a '50's Studio that is not as big as my R7 but fairly chunky. For fat necks at cheaper pricing you'd be looking at R7's and R8's. Glwys

3. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

I have a few historic reissues, a pre historic and a '10 Traditional. Pictured in my avatar is my R8 next to my Traditional.

I would describe the 50's profile neck on my Traditional as chunky for sure. Especially when compared to the neck on the average Standard. But it's not as rounded in the back as my historic's. It almost feels wider too.

4. flamesarewicked

A few months back an R0 came up for sale for sub $3k. That would of been a good score I think since the current standard T sells for over $3k

5. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

If you like the chunky neck then R0 is probablynot for you. As suggested R8/R9are going to be your sweet spot on necks compared to the trad!

Sct13 likes this.
  6. flamesarewicked

Well I’ve had slim neck LPs and I liked them .. i kinda like them both..

7. bossaddict

bossaddict Premium Member

The most affordable of the Reissues on the used market should be R7 and R6 goldtops. They will likely have very chunky necks.

8. DanD

DanD Senior Member

If I were in the market I'd be looking at this:
    https://wildwoodguitars.com/product/87555/historic-1958-les-paul-vos-15/?cat_id=21748

It's a re-purposed CC 29V '59 replica of 9 1165.

A bit above 3K but half of what new MAP was. It'll always be a '58 VOS as far as Gibson and resale is concerned but it does have the TH treatment and low TH frets which play very nicely.

My avatar is the one I scored. Had I known what it was supposed to be when I bought it (I figured it out after the fact) I'd have gotten the one I posted above. The one above has a top far closer to the original.

Happy Hunting! :cheers:

9. rich85

rich85 Senior Member

The thing about reissues is they suck you in. Basically just make the leap and get one. Then within a year you will have or be looking for another. For most of us, they are just how a les paul should be.

If you want a thinner neck, find an R0/G0 (same guitar)

If you want a fatter neck, find any year R8, R7 or R6 that has P90's

You really cant go too wrong, just ask for pricing advice when you find one you like.

Sct13 likes this.
  10. Dilver

Dilver Senior Member

I went through this journey this year searching for my first Historic. Definitely buy used, but learn and try as much as you can before you buy. R7 Goldtops seem to go for the most reasonable prices used, with earlier models having thicker necks. I had my heart set on a Goldtop, thinking that's what I could afford and then came upon an awesome deal for a 2017 Custom Shop Les Paul Standard 1958 (aka R8) that I just couldn't pass up. Yeah, the Historics are in a whole 'nutha class. Go for it. You'll be pleased.

11. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

My most affordable Historic is a 1957 reissue Les Paul Custom that some sucker sold to me for waaaaaaay too cheap relative to how awesome that guitar is

;)

bossaddict likes this.
  12. flamesarewicked

I just came across a 2004 iced tea burst G0 on reverb for $2500... it’s not in mint shape... it has some play wear for sure.. but I guess compared to what it originally sold for this isn’t too bad of a deal? I suppose being it’s a plain top that it doesn’t beg a higher price..

13. Crotch

Crotch Delete My Account Entirely Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

What are you looking to spend

14. Farquad

Farquad Double Platinum Supporter

Play some before pluncking the money down. Even if they are not ones you plan to buy.
    The first historic I owned was good (still have it), but didn't knock my socks off (completely).
    That eventually changed when I met a 2014 R8 in washed cherry that made every USA line LP I owned sound and play worse (and it's not even my number 1).
    At that moment in October 2014 I've been on the custom shop bandwagon ever since.
    There are good and bad units from all the years, so you just need to play some. See what you think and what you like.
    The neck profiles will be all over the place as well. The '59 is sort of the middle area and tends to be a common favorite in carve (but again each is different) They tend to be more of a range in thickness and shoulders.
    Good luck and keep us posted on what you end up getting.

15. flamesarewicked

Unfortunately I live in an area where putting my hands on one will be tough much less variety of them.. I’ve had good luck with going in leaps of faith and research ... even if here’s one that pops up in a local shop.. it’ll be hanging near the ceiling where sales people won’t have to worry about pulling it down lol..

16. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

The current reissues have almost a generic neck shape now. But in the past they varied quite a bit.......getting slimmer as the number increased toward R0 (being the slimmest).

I've only had 1 trad, but its neck seemed about on par with a slim R9. But sometimes the reissues have more shoulder to them - making them seem really fat even though the full depth is the same.

Pappy58 likes this.
  17. modavis99

modavis99 Premium Member

its hard to go wrong but a 2014 R8 should be a good place to start. I'd avoid a 2012 since many had two piece fretboards, and even though I don't care others do -- so if you want to resell it might be difficult.

18. EL-34

EL-34 Senior Member

Indeed. My R7 has a fat neck but It's very playable.