New to digital recording of tube amp overdrive

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by NorlinBlackBeauty, Jan 2, 2018.

1. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Senior Member

I've been recording my acoustic guitars for a couple of years with good results. I just made my first recording of my LP through my Mesa Boogie with light to moderate overdrive. Was not physically loud as I was using the master volume to keep the levels down.

I'm using an AKG USB mic and Audacity. Below are waveforms; the top is the Boogie, the bottom is my 6 string acoustic. The Boogie signal looks flat or compressed, the acoustic has a lot of punch when I strum harder. Is this normal? Anyway of getting more punch out of an overdriven amp?

Waveform.jpg

2. yeti

yeti Senior Member

yes, it's normal. Overdriven is just another way of saying the signal is clipped. Look at the waveform, it looks like someone clipped the peaks off with a pair of scissors.. The fix: less overdrive/ clipping. A Mesa Boogie can be set to get the sounds that gave birth to Rock'n'Roll, just ask Keith Richards, so dial back the overdrive and more punch and transients will be the reward.

3. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Senior Member

Thanks for the response. It makes perfect sense that it works like that. I was emulating a particular guitar tone fairly well for this first recording and was surprised how it looked on the waveform. I was not sure if the relatively lower volume was more of a factor.

The transition from clean to OD is fairly wide and easily controllable on this amp. More recording at various levels of clip will be fun to explore digitally and visually in the waveforms.