New tech: 3rd Power MagFrag pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by thrashmetl, Jul 17, 2017.

1. thrashmetl

thrashmetl Senior Member

3rd Power is getting into the pickup game. These things look really cool. not exactly sure how exactly these things work, but they indicate that they have more clarity than your typical PAF pickup, without effecting the highs, mids, or lows. I have to admit that I'm quite intrigued.

http://3rdpower.com/magfrag-classic/

2. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Senior Member

Jaime looks like Doris Day. That totally irrelevant observation aside, I'd been waiting to hear more about those! Sounded good for what one can discern from a YT video. Thanks for posting!

So it's just a sectioned bar magnet?

[​IMG]

3. thrashmetl

thrashmetl Senior Member

If all they're doing is the same old formula and just chopping a few magnets up then I'm out. Chopping up some magnets does not justify the $400 price tag when he has zero track record winding pickups otherwise.

4. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

This idea would've been more "innovative" if they implemented the mag fragments with bobbin frags, only that it's been already implemented by Zexcoil pickups with a certain degree of success, boht technically and sales-wise.

As it's just a normal HB, so the tonal outcome is just the average of three mags, which as a means of alter the p'ups EQ and/or behaviour, the same and "better" can be achieved just by making custom Alnico batches and adjusting the degaussing to taste. When dealing with Alnico, a big part of the tonal characteristic is dictate by mass, and three small mags don't equal a big one, more like a degaussed one.

As somebody with experience in producing custom alnico batches of bar magnets, I can't say other than I don't consider this as something to write home about. Just another way to "skin a cat", so to speak.

HTH,

5. thrashmetl

thrashmetl Senior Member

Good info here. Thanks.

6. WolfeMacleod

WolfeMacleod V.I.P. Member MLP Vendor

A magnetic arrangement like that will actually cause self-degaussing, since the ends of each segment will want to repel each other.

bill m likes this.
  7. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

The assertion seems to be that particular strings will pick up the qualities associated with the magnet fragment below the string, like a Seymour Duncan Five-Two humbucker concept, but a large part of what causes one magnet to alter the tone of a pickup is not caused by how the string and the magnet interact, but in how the magnet and the entire coil interact. If you mix fragments like that, you will mostly just end up with an averaging of the three magnet's properties across all six strings, not a string to string variance, like you might hope there would be.

If you wanted to design a pickup with more overt string to string differences, you would have to make a more dramatic change, such as using screws and slugs for some strings, and AlNiCo pole pieces for other strings, like a half Stag-Mag design.