New Supro line - Jamesport guitar - and resale value?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by pillbug, Dec 4, 2017.

1. pillbug

pillbug Senior Member

I noticed several discounted prices on the Supro Jamesport from $899 to $299.
    Almost tempted to try it for fun and if I don’t like it, flip it a year or two down the road ... ideally for more than $299 ... good investment?

[​IMG]

2. Tomsmenace

Tomsmenace Senior Member

Probably not a good investment...but who knows. For 299.00 just assume the risk and if you break even down the road be happy. You might love it though....

Uncle Remus and pillbug like this.
  3. Steven

Steven Senior Member

I would be interested in buying the guitar for $299 however I can't find it priced that low. Can you please message me where the Jamesport is available for $299. Thank you.

4. currypowder

currypowder Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    pillbug and endial like this.
  5. Tomsmenace

Tomsmenace Senior Member

Supro as a company hasn't figured out it's pricing structure relative to the market.

6. BadPenguin

BadPenguin Senior Member

They're being priced via "cool factor", just like the original Danelectro reissues were. As to resale value.... it depends on how many want one. My concern at these "blow out" pricing is always one of quality. Maybe they are factory seconds.

pillbug likes this.
  7. currypowder

currypowder Senior Member

As I mentioned above, I purchased a Westbury (2 pickup version of the Jamesport). It seems fine, not a factory second. I love the pickups and the neck feels great, too. To me, it's worth every bit of $350. But I can't see myself paying any more for that, new or used. I certainly wouldn't pay the typical asking price of $600 plus.

pillbug likes this.
  8. Tomsmenace

Tomsmenace Senior Member

They are neat enough, but I feel like they missed their launch window by about 2 decades, however maybe they are just 1 decade ahead of everyone else...I can't tell.

pillbug and endial like this.
  9. redking

redking Senior Member

The resale value of these will be very low, same as my experience with the Eastwood Airline reissues. I can't even give away my Tuxedo on my local classifieds compared to what I paid for it, so I'm gonna have to hot rod it and make it a useful instrument or let it collect dust. LOL

artis_xe and pillbug like this.
  10. pillbug

pillbug Senior Member

Great score. I was looking at a couple Westburys on Reverb, listed at $600-ish though.

Enjoy yours. I decided not to impulse buy until I can actually play one somewhere.

11. artis_xe

artis_xe Christopher Premium Member

from what I know , the reissues of the Airlines ( and some of the Supro models ) have no resale value __ because they are solid body versions

I played a Supro Belmont ( vibrato model ) at Guitar Center a few months ago . the sound from the fiberglass body is nothing less than amazing . not everyone's thing of course . very unique overtones and harmonics to it

but I wouldn't even give a second thought to picking up one of the solid bodied Supros . the only thing there is the " look " . not enough for me , to want to purchase

now . if you want a neat looking guitar within the same price range ( $399 ) , that's a real player

HagstromMetropolisC.png

sure . it's a Les Paul style body . but it's very light . body is made of Empress wood , and is very resonant . I have a set of TV Jones T Armonds just waiting to be dropped in a guitar . this might be the right home for them

12. Uncle Remus

Uncle Remus Silver Supporter

Sam Ash is blowing supros out CHEAP.