New song - Helix content

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by mmd, May 31, 2017.

1. mmd

mmd Senior Member

This new song is my first real movement toward using the Helix for everything - guitars and bass. I am beginning to develop patches that eclipse my old faithful rack PODs. I still have them and use them for quickie demoing, but all serious tracking is now the Helix.

Anyway, this song is what I would call "progressive doom". It is 98 bpm and sludgy. For the rhythm guitars I used my PRS S2 Singlecut Standard on the bridge pickup, split (the crushing tones are all single coil!) with the volume rolled back a little.

The left track is the PRS through the "Stone Age 185" model - a Gibson amp of some sort. I am hitting the front end with an LA2A compressor and a DOD 250 overdrive. There is some spring reverb and delay as well. This track was the easiest because it was the first one, lol - no tricky stuff involved.

The right track is the PRS through the Silvertone 1484 model. I added the same compressor and OD pedal. This has a Hall reverb and ducking delay after the amp. This guitar is handling all the harmonized parts. It took a couple hours to nail the performance on this track. I like to be able to play everything through in one live pass - I am still a little old school that way. Figuring out how I wanted to jump around the fretboard playing the progressions and where I wanted change intervals took a bit of work. I got it though!!

The lead guitar is my PRS Paul's Guitar on the bridge pickup, tapped. I am playing it through a Dr. Z Route 66 model. I am using the MXR Compressor and Klon models up front. There is also a Uni-Vibe before the amp. After the amp I have spring reverb and some vintage delay set to 8 bits/44.1/dotted 1/8ths with 38% feedback and a 42% mix.

All the guitar amps are stock presets - all I changed were the effects. The EQ and cab models are what the factory deemed "correct" for that amp.

The bass was a bit trickier. I used my GPS Warwick FNA Jazzman with the pickups blended a little more toward the neck pickup, with the bridge MM pickup set to series. The 3 band EQ was defeated. I used the Ampeg Portaflex model with 2 cabs - the 2x15 and the 8x10. I put a bit of LA2A compression up front with a little bit of Timmy for a light grind.

Drums were created in EZdrummer 2 using the "Big Rock Drums" EZX and MIDI from the Post Rock MIDI pack. I build my drums in the program, tweak the mixer and record them as a stereo track into ProTools. Once in ProTools I use the Fairchild 660 and Pultec EQP-1A plug-ins. Once I started building the track I added a Lo-Fi filter and the Oxford Inflator to boost the sound. I also added some Plate Reverb.

Once I had the core of the song done, I wasn't sure what to do with it. I knew it was too "doom" for the band. My drummer is NOT a fan of doom, lol. That meant making it a "solo" track.

I added some texture using an Organ patch from my Arturia V-Collection 5 software. I found a cool sound in the MINI V3 instrument. I made a couple of tweaks and added some counterpoint chords to the intro and outro.

Some of the guitar runs are slightly "exotic" so I decided to bust out with an D Arabic scale (D, E, F#, G, G#, A#, C, D) to create the melodies. In the intro of the song I used a G Arabic. None of the parts sounded right on the guitar, so I switched to using synths.

I went back into Arturia and found a cool lead sound for the verse melodies. Once I recorded the parts, I added a Lo-Fi filter, compression, reverb, delay - all subtle of course, just enough to make it sit in the mix.

For the intro melody and the fills before the outro, I went into Arturia and found a cool sound - no idea what it is, but it was in the "soundtrack" bank. It worked for "airier" counter melodies.

By this point I actually had a concept for the tune, which I named "Arabic Doom" - mostly because of the scale and the tempo, lol....but, I envisioned some samples of cheers and explosions at key points. I dipped into my sample library and spent a couple hours listening for what I wanted. Once the samples were found, I spent 30-40 minutes placing them in the track. I deleted most of them because sometimes less is more. I added compression, reverb and delay to the samples.

In all, I spent 4 days on this song. Summer vacation just started and I have pretty much ONLY done this song, lol. Anyway, hope you enjoy it!!

https://soundcloud.com/mdenman/arabic-doom

2. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

can't get to soundcloud at work, will try on the train on the phone.

3. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Excellent job. Reslly liked it, a lot. I think the rythem guitar could take a sligjt eq fix, it could stand out a little more in the mix imho. S little more mid focus and a little less bottom maybe.

4. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

5. AllTheSound

AllTheSound Premium Member

Very cool man i dig it!