New Slate Digital Mics

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by kfowler8, Feb 6, 2018.

1. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

Slate Digital's coming out with a new mic and bundle. They announced it at NAMM. Have any of you ever fooled with these?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VRS8ML1ML2

Here's some videos on it if you're not familiar with it.

This one was during this year's NAMM. He gets pretty upset because a marching band starts in the middle of his demo. Still you'll get the idea.

Interesting concept and I get the appeal. Especially if you're a small home recording enthusiast. With the improvements in modeling in general, this is a pretty cool approach.

I was thinking of my home setup. I generally run 7 mics on my drums plus a couple different vocal mics. It would be nice to have the flexibility to have access to some other classic mics. I calculated if I sold off all my mics and interface, it would just about pay for this. It also includes a year's subscription to the Slate Everything Bundle. I don't particularly care for subscription services to something like this but that's not a bad add-on.

The downside I see to this is the same with any technology, big depreciation as the tech improves. The mics are own will be worth the same 10-20 years from now, if not more. Doubt you'll be able to say the same about the modeling stuff.

So what do you think?

2. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Yes. I bought the Slate VMS with the "condenser". In the end, my opinion was that I would find it useful if I didn't have a nice variety of decent mics already. I also have a couple of nice mic preamps, so in the end it was redundant. I returned it.

The quality? Again, if I didn't have real ribbon mics and U87 clones, or a variety of dynamic mics to compare to, I would have been pleased. To me, it wasn't quite there yet. Kind of like amp modeling - I equate this VMS system to maybe POD XT level tech. It's not yet Helix/Kemper/Fractal level modeling....BUT, if ALL I had was an SM57/58, it would be GLORIOUS.....make sense?

To me, it seems a very cost-effective way to build a mic locker pretty quick. In context of a mix, and without hands-on experience with high end mics, a user should be pleased.

I know that sounds kind of back and forth - I don't mean it to. It's just one of those things that are great based on user experience.

kfowler8 likes this.
  3. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

Since I own an Axe-FX XL+ and an original POD, that's a really good analogy. It's something I'll keep my eye. Interesting to see how it develops.

mmd likes this.
  4. yeti

yeti Senior Member

full disclaimer: I have zero experience with Slate stuff.
    Here's my analogy:
    Microphones are like camera lenses. Digital cameras are amazing, all the stuff one can do with image processing is amazing BUT when it counts people still pay extreme prices for real "glass", it's the stuff you can't model (yet), mechanical limitations of the cheap "chameleon" mic won't allow it, just like the lens on your 8K camera/ smartphone won't capture what expensive glass captures. Trying to manufacture "that" after the fact is just that, a polaroid-version of the real thing.

kfowler8 likes this.
  5. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

I get what you're saying but for the home recording enthusiast, it seems like a less expensive way to get to close to some really expensive, classic mics.

Along the lines of what you're talking about though, my concern would be with the cardioid pattern. For instance if a ribbon mic as a figure 8 pattern and the Slate mic doesn't, how can it replicate that nuance? It can maybe profile the character of the mics but I would think you're still missing a physical part of the sound being captured.

mmd likes this.
  6. yeti

yeti Senior Member

^^^^^

Sure, I'm not a purist but what is the point of "getting close to some really expensive, classic mics" anyway? To me that is a counter-intuitive approach. Are you gioing to say "This vocal should be captured with a U 47 into an 1073, therefore I'll set my slate mic to emulate that"?
    I think it'd be better to have 2 cheap real mics that complement each other than 1 modeling mic that claims to be anything to anyone. It won't work and , at best, it'll skew your expectation as to what the real thing should sound like, should you ever be in a situation to use one.