New Showmaster....wow..!

Discussion in 'Fender' started by Karldoog, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Karldoog

Karldoog Member

Hey all,
    I just picked up my second Showmaster--a quilt top, (left) and what I'm amazed about is that this guitar is fully 2-3 lbs heavier than the FMT model that I already own. It's a noticeable difference. Got it from a guy in Honolulu who bought it from a collector in Houston in 2007 and he never played it, just stored and maintained it. I had to replace the jack--it was blue with corrosion, so I guess he wasn't lying. But oh baby, does this thing PLAY! Sings like a bird too. I can't believe Fender pulled production on these. They may be the best guitars they ever made.

Anyone else own one? Here's my babies...

[​IMG]

2. DarrellV

DarrellV Make the Switch for the Better! Silver Supporter Premium Member

As a huge fan of pretty woods I can't help but admire them! :shock:

What are the years? They seem like a take on the superstrats of the 80s and 90s.:hmm:

Nice catch! :thumb:

Karldoog likes this.
  3. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

[​IMG]

Karldoog likes this.
  4. Karldoog

Karldoog Member

Thanks! Aye, the wood hold a fascination for me as well. Nothing like a pretty sunburst to set off that grain!
    It seems that they were modeled after the SuperStrats if I remember correctly. I am not sure the years on them. I have to cross-reference the serial numbers, but I'm not optimistic on finding out much. I don't know if the Koreans kept detailed records or not. For instance, I wanted to get a new tremolo for the one on the right, and could find no info online about what was a good stock or drop-in replacement, so I called Fender Company and the guy told me "We don't quite know what is on those guitars, there is no data on them"! So I may have to live with the mystery...but they sure play well. They're excellent quality instruments!

DarrellV likes this.
  5. DarrellV

Can you take closer pics of the trem, and put a ruler up against the studs and get the distance between them?

6. Bud Stoner

Bud Stoner Senior Member

Those are so sweet! :band::cool2::cheers2:

Karldoog likes this.
  7. Karldoog

Karldoog Member

DarrellV, I know what you're getting at; I dropped in a Hipshot bridge, which was supposed to be a direct replacement for an American Strat. The studs are off by about 2-3mm. I was able to grind some of the bridge to allow the pivots to rest on the OLD studs properly, but it is still having problems staying in tune. I have it at my luthier's to figure it out. He may have to re-stud it and put in the new studs and pivot points. The new ones won't fit in the old studs because of a metric-SAE mismatch. Kinda a bummer.

8. DarrellV

Yeah, I figured that too, but I was wondering if a Wilkinson or Squire part might fit as some of them are metric too.

At first I thought it was a Wilkinson...

Good luck!

9. Crotch

Crotch Support MLP Veterans & Vendors Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

Very cool. The showmaster was almost my first guitar, however music go round would not give me a penny off of it so I went with a MIM strat new. This was back in 09/10 I think. I still want one. I always look around to see if I can snag one for like $400 or something. One of the old 90's ones.