New Rig Day. Power, Power, MORE POWER!

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by clutchcargo, Sep 24, 2017.

1. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Bionic Member Premium Member

Man, your guitars were build backwards. :naughty:

That sounds like a lot of work you're doing. I don't like the tone as much with the master lower than 3/4. I have my volumes set at 6 with the channels jumpered. Then I use my guitar volume to do the final adjustments from clean to raunch. But it's still loud AF.

Like I said before. My neighbors don't care, but I don't want to go deaf.

2. 2Muchgear

2Muchgear Junior Member

Hey Clutch - sounds like a great set up! I'm like you - don't play out, not in a band but love to get the stink out of my customized JTM45 and 4/12. I'm running kt66's over a blueprinted PTP board with Sozos, Marstran tranny's, etc. A pair of Weber 55hz are mixed with a pair of Vintage 30's. Just add Les Paul (or SG or Sheraton) and a jumper!

We don't need no stinkin' attenuator!

clutchcargo likes this.
  3. landguitar

landguitar Double Platinum Supporter

this is a non-technical response from observations over many years of playing - volume is an addiction! When you get used to the tone at high volumes, it's VERY hard to go back down...So you just have to go "cold turkey" and play at lower volumes and get used to it. There are very good power attenuators out there that you can research and get used to; some are expensive, but as is common, you get what you pay for. It's unlikely even if you played in a band you'd be able to use this rig at those volumes anyway - most places just don't want or need high volume amps and it's rare for sound folks to be happy with high stage volumes anymore. I saw Metallica on TV a couple of months ago and THEY were using mini-stacks...
    Glad you are having fun though. I still recall when I was in college in a serious rock band and we practiced at the drummer's house in a small living room with all of our stacks lining the walls - idiots!!! But we were having fun, for sure! I still recall what it feels like to stand in front of a wide-open Marshall 100W stack with a Les Paul - you can't recreate that, for sure.
    All the best but take care of your ears!

clutchcargo likes this.
  4. ht-57

ht-57 Member

I 100% agree with kidlargo- Bring it to a reputable pro!
    put "power scaling for guitar amps" in your googly
    machine to get a better understanding of the mod.
    It was inexpensive to have done by a reputable
    pro. cheaper then most decent reactive attenuators.
    My 71' 1959 sl 100 has been running flawlessly with it for over a year, my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner

clutchcargo likes this.