New Rig Day. Power, Power, MORE POWER!

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by clutchcargo, Sep 24, 2017.

1. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Bionic Member Premium Member

I've had this amp and head for about a week, and it just keeps getting better and better.
    Along with the Les Paul that I can't stop playing or taking pictures of. :run:

The head is a 50 Watt Plexi clone built with the 1968 circuit, running through a 1960AHW. I gotta say...Coming from a 15 Watt Vox ac15c1. I almost blew the windows out of my music room on the first day.
    Blending the channels with a jumper either way, gives this bad mofo a nice fat tone. It's loud AF, but I live in a house and my neighbors are really cool.

It has a PPMV, but I usually leave the master at around 7/8 and volume down on the amp and pedals (if I'm using them). Then use my volume knobs on my guitar to tweak the rest of the way. Roll down the volume to about 3 and it cleans up nicely. Crank it up to 8 and the walls start bleeding creamy overtone greatness. When I roll the tone pots down to about 2/3/4 it's gives this insanely awesome honk like tone. Can't describe it but I love it.
    I have to stop sitting straight in front of it though. My ears are taking a beating.

By the way if anyone is wondering about the loudness when the master and volumes are all cranked. Let's just say the whole house shook and it legitimately scared the hell out of me. I felt every note run through my whole body. My chest was pounding. I could see paint on the walls cracking. And sheetrock coming loose. My wife thought we were having and earthquake. Earthquake in Jersey? Maybe someday. But we are definitely having a TONEquake!

It's my first real deal rig and right now the honeymoon is still going strong.

Check it out!

IMG_4977.JPG IMG_4978.JPG IMG_4979.JPG IMG_4980.JPG IMG_4974.JPG IMG_4969.JPG IMG_4970.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2017
  2. clutchcargo

I forgot to mention I have a brand new set of aged uncovered double cream Wizz pickups coming straight from Alek! Can't wait to put those bad boys in!

Rhust likes this.
  3. ht-57

ht-57 Member

Congratz! May the honeymoon neva end!! If you do happen to get tired of it
    I'm in LI NY, so I'll be right over to take it off ur hands

clutchcargo likes this.
  4. BBD

BBD Senior Member

Ah, brings back memories - the same setup I had, 30 years ago :) Although actual Marshall 50 SL. My doctor thinks that the lower lumbar damage still hassling me today could well have occurred during the several years I spent lugging that 4/12 around.

To keep sweet neighbours sweet, you might want to investigate a dummy load and some headphones. Then you can crank the bugger right up without bleeding from the eyes and getting arrested :)

clutchcargo likes this.
  5. clutchcargo

LOL BBD!
    First off...I don't gig, not in a band, so the only other place I might move this is into the basement once I finish it. The small music room I have right now kind of concentrares the sound.
    I thought about an attenuator. But from what I've read you really have to still be loud to get tube saturation. And they are expensive!

I also understand they basically act like a master volume. Which I have built into the head. Correct me if I'm wrong. I don't know much about them.
    But it sounds great so far and I play it pretty loud. No complaints about the loudness from the neighbors yet.
    And certainly no police. Even though the Cheif lives 2 doors down from me.

I don't think anyone can stand the volume to get close enough to knock on the door. Not that I would hear it anyway.

6. clutchcargo

And all I know other than that is I can finally hear the tone tone n my head. I really love playing through this with the tone knobs lowered down into the 3/4 ish mark. It really brings out that creamy honky tone.

7. BBD

BBD Senior Member

Expensive? You just bought an [strike]R9[/strike] [R8] and you're quibbling over a few hundred bucks? :)

It doesn't sound like you need one (although you might develop Marshall Ear Fatigue in due course) but if you do ever spring for an attenuator then you haven't quite described how they work. You can crank the power stage on the amp as far up as you like but the roar never reaches the cab because the attenuator attenuates the output power to something human-survivable or even quiet. So you can really let rip - but the cats in the next room sleep on, unbothered.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    clutchcargo likes this.
  8. clutchcargo

My cats are actually used to it now. Amazingly. By the way, it's an R8. But still very expensive and I had to trade a high dollar instrument to cover most of the value.

Anyway, an attenuator might be down the road. A few hundred can be made possible

freebyrd 69 likes this.
  9. clutchcargo

Anyone own or have used the Radial Headload Prodigy attenuator?

10. ht-57

ht-57 Member

b-4 you attenuate , consider "power scaling" a non evasive mod- (no holes drilled in chassis) Doesn't change tone of amp as its just a voltage control circuit.
    did it to my vintage sl-100 . I had the master volume mod, used stomp boxes. not even close.
    I have a variac, attenuator- which came real close but running the amp dimed all the time doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy.
    So with power scaling off your amp is stock, As you crank up the power scaling it starves the tubes of voltage, without changing the bias or the heater voltages, so your amp starts to overdrive the outputs at a much lower volume with out damaging tubes
    or components, so that wide open amp sound is available @ much lower volumes
    I love it, the sound that this thing make is eff'n awesome-and this 100w is 105db now thru the same cab as you have. I elected to have the control knob for the ps put in the lower input of ch2 (combining ch stil works the same) you can place it in the back ,but kinda hard to get to for me

IMG_1776.JPG

clutchcargo likes this.
  11. clutchcargo

How would I do that ht? I don't know much about the internals. It is all hand wired and I can solder pretty well.

12. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

Well, i for one never tire of seeing pics of LPs and amps. NICE!! OH, and i REALLY like your cat

clutchcargo likes this.
  13. ht-57

ht-57 Member

You have a Pm clutch

clutchcargo likes this.
  14. clutchcargo

Just responded!

15. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Great looking set up. :thumb: :applause:

Look after your hearing. I own a Vintage Plexi & the thing rattles the house but tinnitus ain't a good thing. ;)

:cheers2:

clutchcargo likes this.
  16. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Premium Member

Nice guitar!!! By the way, Radial products are EXCELLENT!!

clutchcargo likes this.
  17. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Attenuators suck........................power & tone. ;)

:cheers2:

Pappy58 and clutchcargo like this.
  18. MW110

MW110 Junior Member

Hi everybody,

powerscaling sounds very good to me. I am sure it would improve my JTM 45 a lot. How do I do it?
    Is there any difference compared to PPIMV? Sorry I am not that kind of expert....
    Thank you for help.

19. kidlargo

kidlargo Junior Member

Let me tell you what works for me. I have (2) 1986 2205 JCM 800 50w channel switching heads with matching cabs. I keep the normal channel about where you keep your master. I run a digitech 2112 (still rocks) rack that has a tube preamp. Then I roll the master channel into the normal. Forget about the 2112, even straight or through a pedalboard, run your amp channel up to drive that channel and get the vol off the master (Adjust to taste). I do the same jumper trick but just through the effects loop I/O as my amps only have one guitar input. As far as guitar vol knobs, I keep it all the way up and adjust guitar output with a volume pedal. A lot of times you'll get treble bleed from turning the guitar vol down. The vol pedal keeps that sweet sound at any volume. Just one man's opinion. Who out there want's to share their tricks? I'll try anything for some extra grind. Rock on! 5 spot.jpg

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    clutchcargo likes this.
  20. kidlargo

kidlargo Junior Member

If you want to make a physical mod to your amp but you're not too sure what to do, I say, DON'T! Get it to a pro. And I don't mean Sam Ash, Guitar Center, or whoever. Get it to real pro. Do your homework brother! I take my business to one man and one man only in the Indy area. This is the kind of pro I'm talking about. Check out his list of clients. He just resurrected my new (to me) 1969 Super Reverb. It had never even been opened for any real repairs. Not a scratch on it! Stock caps, resistors, two prong death cord, and reverb rebuild. I play it more now than my main rig from my other post. Bottom line, do not open this rig and solder any damn thing to it!! http://www.unclealberts.com/history.html 69.jpg

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    bilbarstow likes this.