New recording

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by kfowler8, Mar 6, 2017.

1. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

I had a couple of buds I play with regularly come over Saturday to jam some. I had the mics set up on the drum kit so we decided to record the last jam.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/kfowler8/march-2017-jam-v2[/SC]

Couple of things I learned:

I had an extra speaker running out of the bass cab facing the drummer as a reference. That worked great for jamming but was a nightmare for mixing. It was right beside the drum set so the OH picked up all the bass.

I tried a technique with the bass that I really liked. I made a copy of the bass track and then distorted the hell out of it and put a high pass and low pass filter on both ends. I then adjusted it so that it was about 10 dBs lower than the original bass track. You can really hear it at the beginning. It adds kind of a distorted fuzz to the bass. Subtle but I do like it.

I used a stereo OH configuration for the drums. I was using the Glyn Johns technique before. I think I may actually like the Glyn Johns better. This is something I want to experiment with. I like the stereo effect of the wider OH but I think the Johns technique sounded better.

Let me know what you think.

2. DarrellV

DarrellV 1 Year old and 8K this month or bust! Premium Member

Always give your drummer headphones!

record all instruments with scratch drummer track.

Play tracks through drummer headphones, (no 1 above) and record drums.

But, srsly, I like the progression!

Oh, and the bass effect. I may have to steal it, hee hee!

3. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

This is where I actually got it from:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3iwNLIgtK0&t=238s[/ame]

4. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

Cleaned up a couple of things last night and re-posted a newer version.

5. DarrellV

It's like you're reading a page out of my mind....

That's a really cool diddy!

Drums are more controlled this time, but IMO the fuzz effect is too loud now, almost equal to the dry signal.

I would be interested to hear how it sounded if you panned the dry bass to one side a bit and put the fuzz on a medium rotary pan effect, and maybe even throw in a flanger (oooo :hmm:) just during the bass solo drum punch sections.

Just needs a little sweetening in the mastering to really make it shine!

6. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

Hmm. I'll have to look at that. I didn't change any of the levels for the bass. I mainly edited out flubs or where I thought the part didn't work. For instance there were 1/2 note bass kick hits during the solo section that were a little off. I edited those out to make them just whole notes.

I also chopped off the delay on the first distorted guitar hits so it was insync with the crash cymbols.

Something I used this time that was a first was a gate on some of the drum mics. That was really cool.

Again the OH were a real pain to edit around since any change I made with another part, I had to edit it out of the OH as well without affecting the cymbals. E.g. the edited bass kick was in the OH as well.

7. DarrellV

Yup, I noticed that the timing was tightened up a bit too.

It may be the cleanup just emphasized the original levels more.

Have you tried putting a gate on the overheads but setting the filter to only respond above the tom / snare frequency?

I have also put an EQ on the overhead tracks and just dumped the lows right off in a sharp curve.

Put this ahead of the gate.

Then it was easier for the gate to hear the tom /snare and cymbals, and I could adjust accordingly.

8. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

That's a great idea. I'll try that.