New Recording Project

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Freddy G, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

There have been many different versions of the AKG C414. Right now I have a modern one on my bench for service, the XLS model. Almost everything about it is different from the old 414s...different capsule, transformerless, circuit itself blah blah blah.

Needless to say....they sound very different!

2. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

blah blah blah..... LOL Too funny.

So there is a "Mic 3" (and 4 as well)!

This is getting even better! :applause:

You've demonstrated what I read quite often, many times it's not only the right Mic, it's the right Mic and Pre combo to achieve the nuances you are looking for! Very cool!

Your Freddy Built Tube Mic is so retro looking. Looks like you re-purposed an old timer there was no hope for! (can they do that for me?) Super clean sounding. Is that usual for Tube Mic's?. That's a great resource to have in your arsenal. :cool: How is it on acoustic stringed instruments?

Can't wait til the next episode! :fingersx:

3. LPSGME

LPSGME Senior Member

This article has sound samples from the assortment of 414's that were produced over the years.

http://www.trustmeimascientist.com/2011/09/05/curing-condenser-confusion-an-audio-history-of-the-akg-c-414/

4. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Repurposed? Nope. I built them from scratch. Here's a pic of building the metalwork, I used brass barroom footrail material, I then had the bodies sandblasted, nickel plated and then my logo laser engraved.
    [​IMG]

They are not dead clean...there's something kind of creamy going on with the high mids/highs with these mics.

In the youtube clip (first post) almost everything was recorded with a pair of these mics. Except a modified (transformerless) SM57 on the back side of the cajon.

PMing you a clean clip with these mics on an acoustic guitar.

Great article and resource. Thanks!

5. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

The two reasons I figured "re-purposed" is because they look so "Retro", like they were there in the 40's / 50's and second, you used shells for your ribbon mic's.

Making these from scratch elevates you to an even higher level! You are fearless and have a level of focus like nobody else I know! Did I mention creative?

Beyond impressive to say the least! :h5:

Without being live to hear what was captured, these can easily be mistaken for Clean! But a dash of creamy right up there is definitely an added plus. So many need an EQ nudge down to contain the brittle edge at the top. It's nice to have Mic's that don't need to be EQ'd to squish the compromises, rather than EQing the good things to the forefront because there is nothing unpleasant!

And when will these be on the market? (hint hint)

Barroom footrail, Eh? Must've been a good night for that idea to pop into your head. (or on it) LOL And a rough morning too! :laugh2:

6. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

So...been working on all the tunes in this recording project, I'm finally back to this one. Tracked guitars yesterday with my old friend "Zep" (known him since we were teenagers). Here's some fly-on-the-wall footage of that session for you recording geeks! :jam:
    We started the session just working in software modelling, we tried Guitar Rig 4 and also my Eleven Rack. But once we had it all worked out I set up an amp in the family room and recorded that.

rxbandit, bocage44 and KP11520 like this.