New Recording Project

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Freddy G, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

I've got a new recording project happening. I'm having a lot of fun with it so far. It will be a full album of original songs by a young woman who came to me for guitar lessons when she was 16, now she's in her early 20s and here we are...I couldn't be more proud of her!

Here's the beds for the first song, a very simple, easy going summertime tune...I was tracking the bass player and just grabbed the camera and started filming. I've got her ghost vocal, but I don't want to publish that just yet.

Everything has been tracked at my house so far, bass, acoustic guitar and percussion. A cajón provides the backbeat, and then bongos and various other shakers and tambourines were overdubbed. This is a rough mix.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    RustyNuts and Midnight Blues like this.
  2. John Scrip

John Scrip Senior Member

Nice.

Where the hell did that "Like" thing go...?

3. steelehead

steelehead Senior Member

haha i thought the same thing.

4. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Thanks for the comments guys.

I'll post updates as they come. I just had a meeting with my friend the Maestro yesterday and he will be scoring the strings for one tune. Very excited about that!

5. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Premium Member

I like it. Has a nice "airy" feel to it. Looking forward to hearing the finished product.

Sorry Freddy, just had to post this too:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqcSnFgL2lQ[/ame]

6. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

haha....love that episode.

but yeah....we really do call him Maestro....

7. Midnight Blues

Still laugh like crazy whenever I watch the show, even after all the times I've seen them, including that one.

8. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

Do you have an Isolation room mic'd for the Bass amp/cabinet or is this modeling software with the Bass direct into the Interface?

I'm jealous.... You're having WAY more fun than me! :cool:

9. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

The bass went straight into the high impedance input of a tube mic pre I built, and then straight into the converter. The mic pre has an output trim so I can drive the gain as much as I want.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

Now THAT'S Cool!!!!!

And of course.... You built it. LOL

I was wondering what you used. Something about the way it sounded was different. Pristine pure is what that difference is. Almost like in a vacuum with nothing but what the bass put out. And I mean nothing.

A Maestro and Professor Production! Professor Freddy!

I really appreciate you sharing so many facets of these different niches in the music/sound business. College level training for us students at the least! :cool:

11. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Thanks KP.

Tracking some backing vocals today. I'm gonna do a quick mic shootout...pick one and then if the singer agrees I'll post clips.

12. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

I'll be right over..... It's only a 9 or 10 hour drive.

Oh to be a fly on the wall! :thumb:

I look forward to this Professor!

13. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

14. Midnight Blues

She has a nice voice.

Don't go by what I type because I don't have a good ear(s) and I found it a bit hard to distinguish, but I'd say mic 1. To me it sounds cleaner/clearer, more pronounced.

15. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

I think that the joy of recording really starts to come when you stop overthinking things. Just trust your guts, your first impression instincts.

BTW....your ears are correct. There's more clarity in the higher freqs in mic 1.

16. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Anyway....just to tease you all further...one of the mics is a vintage classic, and the other is one that I built.

17. Midnight Blues

Lucky guess.

Thanks Freddy.

18. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

Mic two sounds overmodulated to me.

Mic one sounds much better, but a tad sterile, IMHO. You can always add some spice after the fact.

Is there a Mic 3 choice? LOL

Thank you for using .wav files rather than MP3s.

19. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

This was mic 1, a large diaphragm EF86 tube condenser:

[​IMG]

And mic 2, an RCA DX-77 ribbon:

[​IMG]

For the session yesterday we spent too much time working on an arrangement so I only had a few minutes at the end to try some mics.

FWIW....I didn't care for either of these two mics. Remember I did say that I was looking for a mic for backing vocals....for this project I'm looking for something really smooth that doesn't have sharp and forward clarity, I want the main vocal sound to have that. I don't want the harmony tracks filled with sharp "S" sounds and hyper clarity. Does that make sense? That's why I tried the DX-77. But I think maybe the mic pre wasn't a good fit for it....the gain had to be cranked wide open. I'll try it again next time but with a really clean, low noise solid state pre by Apogee. Also I'll be trying a U87 and an old transformer coupled C414 that is really dark in the next session.

20. LPSGME

LPSGME Senior Member

In the other 'vocal mic' thread inquiring about a good 'bang for the buck' mic you recommended a Shure SM7B [over the Rode NT1a and N2] which is indeed a nice mic for the price.

In looking for a Youtube comparison, between the Shure and a Rode, I came across this shootout that also included a C414.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP37fZmj-XY[/ame]

To me, the SM7B does display a very nice clear top end. But when I listened to the cuts containing all the parts with harmonies [36 sec for the Shure and 1min 34sec for the AKG] it struck me that despite the C414's stronger low end and body, it cut through just as much as the others but also made the vocal sound better IMHO.

Of course this is just MHO. I'm just mentioning it because sometimes a vocal sung on a darker mic can cut through and sound equally as superb or better.

However, I think a lot of modern recordings tend to be brighter in general. And so that brighter quality may be what people have come to associate more with their favorite modern recordings.