New pickups in 2014 LP Standard

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by soma1975, Feb 19, 2018.

1. soma1975

soma1975 Member

Replacing my standard Burstbucker Pros with some low wind OX4s but I have all that PCB with Quick Connect stuff going on in the guitar.

Eventually it would be nice to gut it all but for now can i just sort of squish the OX4 cables into the pcb socket? or am I going to have to convert it properly to Quick Connect?

The OX4s are 4-cable.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Tobaccoburst83

Tobaccoburst83 Senior Member

Hmm this won't be a Problem I guess. I do not know how to do this myself. And it's no option to throw in some wire n' pots?

3. soma1975

soma1975 Member

Well it's an option, but not one I feel like doing myself. At that point it's a full rewire of everything and moving all the pcb stuff everywhere and I have to decide about harnesses and 50s vs modern and all manner of things. I'd have to get someone to do it.

4. Tobaccoburst83

Ok, I would think about it because once the more traditional electric is installed, you can change pickups without any problems regarding connections, etc.! There is no luthier nearby? (You could even sell the PCB board.)

My 2016 SG Std. has a PCB I'm about to throw out. Unfortunately here in Germany Gibson's QuickConnect pickups are hard to find - otherwise I'd already got myself a set of '57.

5. Pesh

Pesh Senior Member

Have a look on ebay for some Quick-Connect adaptors. These are spliced into the wires of your pickup, whatever way it be wired, and then allow you to plug non-Gibson pickups into the Gibson PCB, retaining the same split/tap, phase, whatever controls the PCB offers. Plenty of people making them, and a lot of them say to contact them so they can match your pickup wire colours to the adaptors. Obviously each company uses different colours, or the same colours but two are switched etc, so these guys will find out what colour your pickup uses and for what, so all you have to do is match the colours and connect them, easy to undo.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323072914725

Roxy13 and Tobaccoburst83 like this.
  6. soma1975

soma1975 Member

I found someone nearby who looks like they’d do a good job once I have decided how I want it wired. In the meantime Pesh that looks a great interim solution. Many thanks.

7. Tobaccoburst83

I think this is the best solution. Which wiring did you choose?

8. soma1975

soma1975 Member

Well I was gonna be all 50s blah blah blah but while I don’t care about the coil taps etc on my 2014’s electronics, I really love having the phase switch on a push-push pot so as vintage as possible while maintaining that. :)

Tobaccoburst83 likes this.
  9. Tobaccoburst83

Yesss, that would be my choice, too.

10. soma1975

soma1975 Member

Bringing this back to life to say I finally got the Ox4s installed. Ripped out the PCB and have 50s wiring in there. Sounds incredible. Like a whole new instrument and the pots, both vol and tone, are so much more usable along their entire travel. Thanks for advice everyone.