New Pickup for Strat, looking for advice

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Zarg, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Zarg

Zarg Senior Member

Hi everyone!

I have a HSS Strat that I absolutely love, but the distorted tone isn't quite there yet.It sounds great clean and plays amazing.

Alder Body
    Maple Neck
    Rosewood Fretboard

I need a new humbucker. The current one is a standard humbucking from Fender, it sounds too thin for my taste.
    I usually only downtune to C#, if at all. I play metal but don't want a ton of distortion, rather medium gain and a very clear pickup. I like mids, should sound chunky and thick without the bass getting mushy or flobby. Output should be medium too, high is alright too because I only use amp distortion.

So far I thought about the DiMarzio Dominion. I had it before and it was really good. Any other ideas? I dont care what brand really. Only Problem is that the Humbucker right now is attached with 3 screws... I saw some aftermarket pickups before with holes for 2 screws per side, that would be a plus.

thank you in advance! cheers!

2. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

I have an HSS Strat with Tex-Mex pups in the bridge and middle and a SD hot rails in the bridge, and this combination really suits me. And, for some reason, there is zero hum.

3. tzd

tzd Senior Member

4. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

I'm a fan of the Dimarzio FRED, seems to be in the ballpark of what you're looking for, if I had an HSS Strat, I would go with one of those

5. NotScott

NotScott Silver Supporter Premium Member

I have been using a Duncan Custom Trembucker in my Charvels for years. It has nice chunk on the bottom end with enough mids and highs to cut when needed. It never gets muddy no matter how much gain you throw at it and it pairs great with single coils, particularly if you want to coil split it.

6. dsmcl77

dsmcl77 Senior Member

7. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

A great medium output pickup is the 59/Custom Hybrid, which also sounds great split for cleaner sounds. The low end remains really tight, too, which is great for downtuning. It is my go-to HSS pickup. Remember, though, that SD pickups and Fender's are out of phase.

Kris Ford likes this.
  8. Guitaraxe

Guitaraxe Senior Member

Unless you are changing out the harness, I imagine the pot' stats would come into play when choosing.

9. barchiola

barchiola Senior Member

A few months ago I put an SH-5 Duncan Custom and an SSL-1 Vintage Staggered (RWRP) in an 80's Ibanez Blazer strat copy and I've been in love ever since with a guitar I've barely played since the 10th grade (1984). It's just amazing how much personality the guitar has now.

For comparison I have a Classic that I put a SD Custom 5 in the bridge position, a Studio with a 57+ in the bridge, and I played the Classic a little with the 500T before I took it out.

The SH-5 is like a step below the 500T but with a lot more depth. It kinda feels like you can do anything with it. But it isn't vintage sounding like the 57+ so you can cover classic rock and stuff but it isn't a dead ringer for the old sounds. I'm not an expert but it's an option worth considering.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    NotScott likes this.